Is Direct TV Service Tied to a Specific Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I too am in two locations when I went to directv I was told I was told I could add a dish at the other location for $50 but when I went to do that I was told nope $225. I escalated and got that down to to $75 Same dish just pack my receiver in a foam lined suitcase plug it all up there and in minutes I am up and running biggest issue is locals. I got an am21 so if I am at one location for just a short period I don't necessarily call in and change my location. If I don't match my actual location no locals on satellite so I then use the am21 for locals
Locals not a problem for me since I am in the same local area, just 120 miles down the road. However, since I am stuck with cable at that location, I have no interest in receiving / watching satellite TV while at that location. Only trying to find a way to retrieve what has been recorded on the DVR up north so I can watch it on large screen TV down south. They sure don't make live easy for seasonal users.... in fact I cannot even find anywhere on the Dish website where seasonal use (vacation status) is even mentioned. A Direct TV rep told me they do 6 month vacation status at no cost, not sure if I should believe that after reading the horror stories in some online reviews. I get the impression that verbal agreements from sales folks don't mean much, if anything, to the billing department.

Locals not a problem for me since I am in the same local area, just 120 miles down the road. However, since I am stuck with cable at that location, I have no interest in receiving / watching satellite TV while at that location. Only trying to find a way to retrieve what has been recorded on the DVR up north so I can watch it on large screen TV down south. They sure don't make live easy for seasonal users.... in fact I cannot even find anywhere on the Dish website where seasonal use (vacation status) is even mentioned. A Direct TV rep told me they do 6 month vacation status at no cost, not sure if I should believe that after reading the horror stories in some online reviews. I get the impression that verbal agreements from sales folks don't mean much, if anything, to the billing department.
If it works for you....Slingboxes are really great....

If it works for you....Slingboxes are really great....
Unless I am misinformed Slingboxes are not recording devices and therefore would not help me. When I leave up north, internet and TV service is terminated or in vacation mode and my cable modem goes south for the winter. Therefore, there is no service for Slingbox to access. Apparently there is no software or device that will get recordings off a satellite company DVR onto a flash drive or PC hard drive. I'm told that taking the DVR south with me does no good on that end without a dish antenna. That makes no sense for perhaps 3 weeks use out of a year.

Only the Hr54. The Hr44 still needs the power inserter.

Btw it does not matter if your set on SL3 or SL5. It's good to change it in setup, but either way it will work.

The only time it would create an issue is if your getting programming from the 119 satellite.
I thought the SL5 got the guide data from the 119 by default.
Is that not correct?

It used to be if you didn't have a LOS on the 119 with the SL5 your guide data would never update.
The SL3 uses the 101.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I thought the SL5 got the guide data from the 119 by default.
Is that not correct?

It used to be if you didn't have a LOS on the 119 with the SL5 your guide data would never update.
The SL3 uses the 101.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
As far as I know it still does.

If you are only wanting to watch what is recorded on your DVR, you can try taking it with you and just access the List of recorded material. You should still be able to do that for a period of time after the receiver is disconnected from the satellite signal. You will get a 775 error indicating the receiver has lost connection with the Dish, but should still be able to access recordings. You can verify this at home by disconnecting the satellite in cable and see if you can still watch recordings.

Unless I am misinformed Slingboxes are not recording devices and therefore would not help me. When I leave up north, internet and TV service is terminated or in vacation mode and my cable modem goes south for the winter. Therefore, there is no service for Slingbox to access. Apparently there is no software or device that will get recordings off a satellite company DVR onto a flash drive or PC hard drive. I'm told that taking the DVR south with me does no good on that end without a dish antenna. That makes no sense for perhaps 3 weeks use out of a year.

Why bother shutting off Internet for only 3 weeks

If you are only wanting to watch what is recorded on your DVR, you can try taking it with you and just access the List of recorded material. You should still be able to do that for a period of time after the receiver is disconnected from the satellite signal. You will get a 775 error indicating the receiver has lost connection with the Dish, but should still be able to access recordings. You can verify this at home by disconnecting the satellite in cable and see if you can still watch recordings.
Once the recvr loses power it will no longer be able to access the playlist.
At least thats been my experience when I move a recvr to the Motorhome ... now if I reconnect it to a dish, then yes you can.

An HR44 when disconnected from the satellite signal and power, then reconnected to power only, will go through the initial boot up procedure and stop with an error message of 775 no connection with SWM, or something similar. At that point, if you press the menu button on the remote you will get a screen that has a selection for Playlist, among other troubleshooting features, such as signal strength, etc. Either select Playlist at that point or just press the List button on the remote. This will allow you to access and play your recordings. I'm sure the HR54 works the same way. I can't guarantee the HR34 does the same, but I feel it probably will.

An HR44 when disconnected from the satellite signal and power, then reconnected to power only, will go through the initial boot up procedure and stop with an error message of 775 no connection with SWM, or something similar. At that point, if you press the menu button on the remote you will get a screen that has a selection for Playlist, among other troubleshooting features, such as signal strength, etc. Either select Playlist at that point or just press the List button on the remote. This will allow you to access and play your recordings. I'm sure the HR54 works the same way. I can't guarantee the HR34 does the same, but I feel it probably will.
I should have gave more detail .... the one I have in the Motor home is an HR24 .... seeing they only allow 1 Genie per account.
The experiences I noted were with the. 24

Why bother shutting off Internet for only 3 weeks
Internet is off for six months up north while I am down south and off six months down south while up north. I am merely trying to figure out how to retrieve unwatched recordings from the DVR after I move and no longer have satellite service (for six months). Based on a conversation I had yesterday with a local dealer it sounds like b52pooh is correct - it is possible to watch recorded programs without the dish antennae.
However, I was also told that any promotional rates given upon signup would disappear when I put service on vacation mode. In other words when I return in the spring I would be stuck with regular rates and any two year promotional commitment is no more. They sure don't make it easy! May have to suck it up and stick with cable.

Slinbox is your best overall bet....But you would need internet at both locations...The sling box is just like your Direct receiver...You can watch live TV, watch DVR stuff, record, anything you can due with your remote control at home you can due on the road....I use a old VIP 922 in Illinois for some sports I cant buy here in the SW...You need good upload speed to get a HD picture(where the direct box is)....Download speed is pretty good even with a DSL these days(when your away), unless your in a real remote location...
I have a stand alone Slingbox at this location so I can watch on my phone or at a friends home...

Slinbox is your best overall bet....But you would need internet at both locations...The sling box is just like your Direct receiver...You can watch live TV, watch DVR stuff, record, anything you can due with your remote control at home you can due on the road....I use a old VIP 922 in Illinois for some sports I cant buy here in the SW...You need good upload speed to get a HD picture(where the direct box is)....Download speed is pretty good even with a DSL these days(when your away), unless your in a real remote location...
I have a stand alone Slingbox at this location so I can watch on my phone or at a friends home...
Thank you for your suggestion. It would mean buying another cable modem and leaving service up north active for a few weeks while I catch up on recordings after I move. Going to have to decide which compromises I am willing to deal with I guess.

Thank you for your suggestion. It would mean buying another cable modem and leaving service up north active for a few weeks while I catch up on recordings after I move. Going to have to decide which compromises I am willing to deal with I guess.
Or a cell phone or tablet that has access to internet, yes.....
Are you talking Northern AZ or farther up to Utah?

Or a cell phone or tablet that has access to internet, yes.....
Are you talking Northern AZ or farther up to Utah?
I don't do smart phones or tablets. These old eyes need a large screen HDTV :)
I'm near Prescott and winter in Maricopa.

I don't do smart phones or tablets. These old eyes need a large screen HDTV :)
I'm near Prescott and winter in Maricopa.
Ok best of luck.....Im on the other side of Mingus Mt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)