Is Directv ripping me off??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

swosucowboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I am cancelling my service with Directv and switching back to Dish. I started in Nov 2007 and was told 24 month contract/ $10/month for early cancellation. Tonight when cancelling I was told my commitment started ovet this summer when I added an HD-DVR and I was to pay $20/month for early cancellation. Nothing was mentioned to me when adding this receiver over the summer. Does this sound right?
Thanks

Yea, if you look at the back of the work/install order when they left your home you will see the 24mo commitment mentioned. It still is a grey area, however. I recently got the HR21 with a 24 month waiver that ignores the commitment for 24 months. Even though I signed the work order with the 24mo language clearly written, my bill actually has a row that says 'waiver of any 24mo commitment". It was just personal for me as I've been with them forever & felt insulted that I need this 'contract' to keep me around. I talked to my rep about it & they added that little section.

Oh to be loved; where would I go?

I am cancelling my service with Directv and switching back to Dish. I started in Nov 2007 and was told 24 month contract/ $10/month for early cancellation. Tonight when cancelling I was told my commitment started ovet this summer when I added an HD-DVR and I was to pay $20/month for early cancellation. Nothing was mentioned to me when adding this receiver over the summer. Does this sound right?
Thanks

It does sound right, however, I think the installers and directv do a bad job of informing you of a commitment on upgrades. I'm sure it's on your workorder somewhere. Read everything.. because you are the only one looking out for your interests.

It does sound right, however, I think the installers and directv do a bad job of informing you of a commitment on upgrades. I'm sure it's on your workorder somewhere. Read everything.. because you are the only one looking out for your interests.

You are right that they do a bad job with informing the customers. I bet that it is not on the work order but he had agreed to their terms of service and that is where everything is located.

I did not get any paperwork. I added the receiver myself. Nothing was mentioned on the phone when I activated the receiver

This is all in the user agreements and notifications/posting on the website as well. Even when you do it yourself or online there is a box asking if you AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS YOU READ; and provides a clear link to those terms & conditions. The only way to get through the DIY is to check these acknowledgment boxes. I am almost certain these same T&C's being posted online for the DIY person serve as proper notification for phone deals. You might want to go back and read that.

So basically; IMHO they are not ripping you off; the extensions are pretty common knowledge and are posted and printed. If you did a phone deal and they didn't say loud, I would have then asked them directly; before I agreed to anything.

Last edited:
Just like when you upgrade your cell phone, they make you re up your contract.

U nless you BUY the Cell phone at full asking cost then you do not have to agree to extend your contract.... Same here with D you can buy the HR21 PRO model i think around 500 USD and then you do not have to extend your contract..

So basically; IMHO they are not ripping you off; the extensions are pretty common knowledge and are posted and printed. If you did a phone deal and they didn't say loud, I would have then asked them directly; before I agreed to anything.
If they didnt mention it on the phone then he didnt agree to anything.

The moment he opened the wrapper the access card was in, he agreed to the T&C.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/103619-hr20-lease-own-dispute-2.html#post984660

As for the BB / CC and D* as well, if you look on the TOP of the box there is a 3x5 " sticker on it that clearly says:

ATTENTION :
This receiver is a leased product and is Property of Directv INC.
This product must be returned to Directv apon Cancellation of Directv service or additional fees will apply. If this receiver has been activated DO NOT RETURN TO RETAILER.

This is clearly marked on ALL D* boxes, bought at a retailer or directly thru D* themselves.

Many people fail to read what is posted right on the box.

Something else in that 3x5 area is :

Call 1-800-DIRECTV for information on how to return

Also:
If you are having this equipment professionally installed, do not open the box until an installer arrives.

All this is marked in plain sight on each box, but people fail to read it.

Jimbo

Don't blame an installer for not discussing any contractual agreement. That is not our job, nor is it to discuss fees or charges!!!

I did not get any paperwork. I added the receiver myself. Nothing was mentioned on the phone when I activated the receiver

Don't blame an installer for not discussing any contractual agreement. That is not our job, nor is it to discuss fees or charges!!!

Since the OP did it himself, I don't think an installer was ever involved. The CSR should have discussed this with him.

I had the same problem. I activate the service in Nov. 2006. They gave me HD receiver for free and I agree for 2 year contract on plan 30 or more and 12.99 per month cancellation fee. (something like that I can remember the exact numbers).
But after six and a half months my receiver broke down. I did not have the protection plan and when I called them they said that I had to pay 20$ shipping and they will replace the receiver for free with the same one. Then I asked them how much I had to pay so they would replace the receiver with HD DVR, and they said it’s going to be 299$ plus I had to renew my contract for additional 2 years. I did not like that so I told them to send me the same receiver (not an upgrade). After 6 months I found that they still extended my contract even I did not upgrade my equipment, and nobody told me about any extension when I order the replacement box. If I knew that I had to extend the contract at the first place I was going to get HD DVR not just HD receiver. Now I am stucked with additional 6 months contract. In November it will be exactly 2 years since I activated my account and I will try to cancel it with no cancellation fee but I am not sure that they will cancel the fee.

You are right that they do a bad job with informing the customers. I bet that it is not on the work order but he had agreed to their terms of service and that is where everything is located.

Yes it is on the work order.....

I always go over the lease agreement when putting in a new/replacement receiver before I even start working, I have had a few people not agree to the 18/24 month lease and the $4.99 additional rec fees, so I just say have a nice day and roll. Verses working for 2 hours then telling them and having to very quickly uninstall my work and risk a damage claim.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts