Is DirecTV still a thing?

Rain fade, as we all know, happens far less than 1% of the time.

Understand where Big Cable was and how it came to be. CATV. Rural people could not get TV, so some crook started a CATV company. The mantra and the motto from day one was to provide the least possible service at the highest possible cost. Because they had a monopoly. Ghost filled pictures, multi-path interference, long service outages. Arrogant staff. Evil.

Then came first the BUD, and the wonderful DBS. Death from above. Perfect picture, all the channels you want. Wonderful.

So Big Cable had to say SOMETHING. “We treated you like garbage for decades because you had no choice, but stick with us and our totally inferior service now that you do” is not much of a marketing slogan. So they came up with various lies, chief among them the idea that “rain fade” happens often enough to matter.
How it normally goes...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: dtv757
Really, so you don't get bad weather where you live?
Yes. Just like the truthful ad DirecTV states (you don’t think the low life class action lawyers and the state AGs would let them by with it otherwise) 1% of the time. Because DirecTV has 99% signal reliability.

Yes. Just like the truthful ad DirecTV states (you don’t think the low life class action lawyers and the state AGs would let them by with it otherwise) 1% of the time. Because DirecTV has 99% signal reliability.
What are they considering a signal. Getting to the dish or leaving the satellite?

Rain fade, as we all know, happens far less than 1% of the time.

Understand where Big Cable was and how it came to be. CATV. Rural people could not get TV, so some crook started a CATV company. The mantra and the motto from day one was to provide the least possible service at the highest possible cost. Because they had a monopoly. Ghost filled pictures, multi-path interference, long service outages. Arrogant staff. Evil.

Then came first the BUD, and the wonderful DBS. Death from above. Perfect picture, all the channels you want. Wonderful.

So Big Cable had to say SOMETHING. “We treated you like garbage for decades because you had no choice, but stick with us and our totally inferior service now that you do” is not much of a marketing slogan. So they came up with various lies, chief among them the idea that “rain fade” happens often enough to matter.
Show me on the doll where the bad cable man touched you?

Having both cable and satellite, cable in my area has a much greater uptime. With DirecTV, a moderate storm will knock out the signal, and yes all CONUS transponders are 90+ on a clear day, spotbeams are at 100. But I know some of you will still blame my equipment as is customary.

The only advantage satellite has over cable to me is you maintain service during a power failure. DirecTV is the sports leader, but I no longer care about sports. I don’t view DirecTV as some type of premium service. The ads in the EPG are not only annoying but make it less usable. The HR34 was one of the worst cable/satellite STBs I've ever had the displeasure of using. Digital simulcast launched in my area in 2005, no ghost filled pictures with multi-path interference here.

If cable was started by some crook so rural people could get TV, then so was mini dish satellite. Primestar was conceived 30 years ago by a consortium of bunch of big cable companies to provide TV service in rural areas outside of the reach of cable. So I guess satellite has the same crooked roots.

Well there are 525,600 minutes in a 365 day year. So if I did my math right you can have 5,256 minutes of outage during a year and meet their advertising statement.

That is correct. Two nines of reliability allows for up to 87.6 hours of downtime per year.

At work, the SLA I have with the 'evil crooked' cable company for internet and voice service is for four 9s. So 53 minutes of downtime a year. In 10 years, the only downtime I had besides CPE swap outs was when a semi took down a utility pole and service was restored within that time frame.

I've had satellite TV since 2004. I don't know about the other big lies, but rain fade is a thing for me. If I didn't have OTA to fall back on I'd have gone back to cable long ago.
I had rain fade every time it rained when I had DISH and DirecTV years ago. Rain fade is real, although definitely seems to affect some more than others.

Show me on the doll where the bad cable man touched you?

Having both cable and satellite, cable in my area has a much greater uptime. With DirecTV, a moderate storm will knock out the signal, and yes all CONUS transponders are 90+ on a clear day, spotbeams are at 100. But I know some of you will still blame my equipment as is customary.

The only advantage satellite has over cable to me is you maintain service during a power failure. DirecTV is the sports leader, but I no longer care about sports. I don’t view DirecTV as some type of premium service. The ads in the EPG are not only annoying but make it less usable. The HR34 was one of the worst cable/satellite STBs I've ever had the displeasure of using. Digital simulcast launched in my area in 2005, no ghost filled pictures with multi-path interference here.

If cable was started by some crook so rural people could get TV, then so was mini dish satellite. Primestar was conceived 30 years ago by a consortium of bunch of big cable companies to provide TV service in rural areas outside of the reach of cable. So I guess satellite has the same crooked roots.

Yes, of course, the Primestar scam was the work of the crooks at Big Cable. When you called to cancel the cable, or even to complain about their horrid service, they paid the CSRs to try to sell you on the Primestar scam. It wasn’t DBS, of course.

DBS was started to be a BETTER alternate to Big Cable. End the monopoly. And it did. Oh, so well. Death from above. There is a reason that cable companies routinely top the lists of most hated companies.

If you have a cable bandit that is anywhere close to what DirecTV provides, he heck, close to what DISH provides, you are in a very small minority. The cable I could get, if not for the wonderful-ness of DirecTV, is garbage. Ancient equipment, bad pictures, dozens and dozens of channels not carried. All decisions are greed based. It is even in mono, because that is how old the equipment is. Garbage.

And my state’s PSC, good people, have opened a fraud investigation over their internet speed and the lies they told both customers and the PSC about it. Hopefully someone goes to jail.

Because Big Cable is all about its original founding principle. Provide the least possible service for the highest possible price. While DirecTV, even DISH, are about what all businesses should be about.

Yes, of course, the Primestar scam was the work of the crooks at Big Cable. When you called to cancel the cable, or even to complain about their horrid service, they paid the CSRs to try to sell you on the Primestar scam. It wasn’t DBS, of course.

DBS was started to be a BETTER alternate to Big Cable. End the monopoly. And it did. Oh, so well. Death from above. There is a reason that cable companies routinely top the lists of most hated companies.

If you have a cable bandit that is anywhere close to what DirecTV provides, he heck, close to what DISH provides, you are in a very small minority. The cable I could get, if not for the wonderful-ness of DirecTV, is garbage. Ancient equipment, bad pictures, dozens and dozens of channels not carried. All decisions are greed based. It is even in mono, because that is how old the equipment is. Garbage.

And my state’s PSC, good people, have opened a fraud investigation over their internet speed and the lies they told both customers and the PSC about it. Hopefully someone goes to jail.

Because Big Cable is all about its original founding principle. Provide the least possible service for the highest possible price. While DirecTV, even DISH, are about what all businesses should be about.

So you admit it, the mini dish industry was created by the cable crooks.

DirecTV is actually the bandit for me. The TV portion of my cable bill comes to $194, my DirecTV bill is $220. Both accounts have top tier packages with two DVRs. I don’t subscribe to Epix with DirecTV, and cable doesn’t have the 40 out of market RSNs that are blacked out and show 90% of the same thing, so the difference is roughly $30 more for as equal as programming you can get. Out of a lineup of 310 channels, only 50 of those channels are SD, and many of those 50 don’t even have HD feeds.

There’s not much that is wonderful about DirecTV unless you like sports. They had their time in the sun and that has faded. I’ve had DirecTV on two separate stints, 2004 – 2006 and 2012 – Present. Just like cable TV, I don’t see them as anything special. Your over the top hatred for cable is humorous. Just remember, when people use that data connection their cell phones there’s a good chance a cable company is providing the fiber backhaul that makes this mobile world we now live in possible.

There’s not much that is wonderful about DirecTV unless you like sports.
Our local cable company is Spectrum. They don't have any WHDVR solution. They don't have any 4K channels. They are still using MPEG2 and putting too many channels on one physical cable channel and it shows so they can handle all the internet traffic on their HFC network. Do I pay more then I can with cable, yep. But then people also pay more to drive a Lexus than a Chevy, sometimes you decision doesn't come down to just price.

Reactions: Jimbo
Our local cable company is Spectrum. They don't have any WHDVR solution. They don't have any 4K channels. They are still using MPEG2 and putting too many channels on one physical cable channel and it shows so they can handle all the internet traffic on their HFC network. Do I pay more then I can with cable, yep. But then people also pay more to drive a Lexus than a Chevy, sometimes you decision doesn't come down to just price.
I have Charter as well in a Legacy-TWC area. When doing an A/B comparison channel by channel, there is very little difference in picture quality between satellite and cable. DirecTVs audio is louder, but I feel cable has better stereo separation.

4K content is not a concern at all for me. What little 4K content DirecTV carries is mostly stupid sports and I don’t care for the way they implement 4K making you use a mini instead of a real DVR. Can’t say I ever really used whole house DVR when I had it with Time Warner, it was really easy to give that up and I never use it with DirecTV.

Downstream QAM channels used for data is not really relevant. The frequencies that were once used for analog cable were repurposed for internet. It’s not like any that were used for digital were cannibalized. In most, if not all areas Charter is using 32 QAM + 1 OFDM for downstream.

The car analogy works. DirecTV is like Lexus, nothing but an overpriced Toyota.

I guess everywhere is different i compared cox and directv and it was night and day difference

Nba was un watchable via cox . Microblocks everywhere. Using same tv also tried different tvs . Cox PQ was 1000x garbage.

Was using contour 2 client and a direct 4k client (watching NBA tv and I also tested some NHL channels during a free preview week

Also every other channel via cox gave an XRE error message . Tech came out ran a new line then said nothing I can do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I guess everywhere is different i compared cox and directv and it was night and day difference

Nba was un watchable via cox . Microblocks everywhere. Using same tv also tried different tvs . Cox PQ was 1000x garbage.

Was using contour 2 client and a direct 4k client (watching NBA tv and I also tested some NHL channels during a free preview week

Also every other channel via cox gave an XRE error message . Tech came out ran a new line then said nothing I can do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That is very true about Location, Location, Location .... Same company, some areas are great, while other are terrible.

At least with D*, if you have line of sight, your picture should be great.

To whomever posted about Rain Fade:
Btw, all this week we've had Severe weather, Rain and Wind and I have yet to lose my signal.

Normally you will lose signal if you have BAD rain storm, but never with a light rain ...
IF you do, you need to have your dish re- pointed.

Reactions: dtv757
That is very true about Location, Location, Location .... Same company, some areas are great, while other are terrible.

At least with D*, if you have line of sight, your picture should be great.

To whomever posted about Rain Fade:
Btw, all this week we've had Severe weather, Rain and Wind and I have yet to lose my signal.

Normally you will lose signal if you have BAD rain storm, but never with a light rain ...
IF you do, you need to have your dish re- pointed.
The biggest culprit of rain fade was a really high thunderstorm cloud that could be 5 miles away but be blocking the dish.

So you admit it, the mini dish industry was created by the cable crooks.

DirecTV is actually the bandit for me. The TV portion of my cable bill comes to $194, my DirecTV bill is $220. Both accounts have top tier packages with two DVRs. I don’t subscribe to Epix with DirecTV, and cable doesn’t have the 40 out of market RSNs that are blacked out and show 90% of the same thing, so the difference is roughly $30 more for as equal as programming you can get. Out of a lineup of 310 channels, only 50 of those channels are SD, and many of those 50 don’t even have HD feeds.

There’s not much that is wonderful about DirecTV unless you like sports. They had their time in the sun and that has faded. I’ve had DirecTV on two separate stints, 2004 – 2006 and 2012 – Present. Just like cable TV, I don’t see them as anything special. Your over the top hatred for cable is humorous. Just remember, when people use that data connection their cell phones there’s a good chance a cable company is providing the fiber backhaul that makes this mobile world we now live in possible.
The Primestar scam was NOT DBS and thus NOT a “mini-dish”. It was just another of Big Cable’s anti-consumer frauds.

The founders of the wonderful COMPETITION to the monopolist cable bandits were, if you go back far enough, General Motors, Stanley Hubbard, and Charlie Ergen. None of whom, AFAIK, have ever had anything to do with America’s most despised industry, Big Cable.

I glad you like what you cable bandit spoons out. Good for you. Where I live, it is more like what it is for the majority of places. Pure garbage.

Which is why, to answer the OP’s question, the fastest growing consumer electronic in history is still a “thing”. One of the greatest things in the life of any consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)