Is Dish 1000+ too heavy for Chimney?

ahanif

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Hi - in the middle of the never ending saga of getting access to 118.7.

Third installer came out - work order is still wrong so they refused to do anything, but he said what I really need is a dish 1000+ and it is much heavier than the other 2 dish 500's I have on the chimney, so I'll need to move it to a pole or facia mount.

I thought these were lighter and unlike the old superdishes... ? I asked if we could do a 500+ on the chimney with a second dish for HD and he said the 500+ would also be too heavy for the chimney. Is he right?

I live in calif and want the top 100's, HD, and some int'l programming from india and pakistan ...

What is your chimney made out of. I don't see how a 10lb dish would be too heavy. The only problem could be wind load. Does it get very windy where you live? If so, simply put it on the side of the chimney to block the wind. I've got two dishes, one a 1000+, and an antenna mounted to my stucco chimney. They're mounted on a pole that is strapped, standard chimney pole mounting/straping kit, to the chimney.

It's a tpyical brick and mortar chimney - probably 30 years old - you're right, wind load could be bad, in central calif we do have some windy storms during the winter.

I am a Dish installer. the 500+ is a 1000+. the only thing different is that the 1000+ has a additional dual LNB on the left side of the 500+ LNB. a pole mount is recommended or a roof mount, but if you have to put it on the chimney it should be strong enough. unless the chimney itself isn't solid enough or if the wood have any corrosion. also just like the superdish it also have 2 arm supports to help keep the mount in place

brick is strong enough. We have lead anchor that we use for bricks and cinder blocks. also if he doesnt have lead anchors he can predrill with a smaller bit than the lags he's using and shoot the lag bolt in the predrilled holes

I think I'd be worried about the wind load. Do you really want the chimney pulled apart in a bad wind and bricks doing who knows what damage. Whether it is safe or not depends on teh condition of the chimney. Is the cement deteriorated. Before I'd do it I would want to have it inspected.

I think I'd be worried about the wind load. Do you really want the chimney pulled apart in a bad wind and bricks doing who knows what damage. Whether it is safe or not depends on teh condition of the chimney. Is the cement deteriorated. Before I'd do it I would want to have it inspected.

He's right. you should probably have it inspected if you are unsure. but if it is in healthy condition, brick is a nice solid location.

yes, 118 & 129 must be dead on to get a good signal. three installers visiting your site is a sure sign there may be future warranty issues, good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts