Is Dish crazy...162.48 per month?

Hulu and Netflix can provide the same programming as the daily loops for a far cheaper price. ESPNs monopoly on most college sports is all that keeps me subscribing. I have HD and networked media on every tv in my house without a hopper. The only people that benefit from the current tv system are thise that want access to sports or mindless reality tv.

My sat receiver stays off 90% of the time. I can spend 2 mins and scroll the guide and see hundreds of channels playing the same shows over and over and know there is no reason to turn it on again until a game or race I want to see starts. All OTA stuff is recorded to NAS and available to tvs via a media player as are all my dvd blurays cds etc..

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think it's fair to compare what we have now to what we had then. Now we have 4 times as many channels, programming in HD, DVRs, large hard drives, apps, VOD, the ability to watch our programming anywhere and even more features I'm forgetting.

If people want to take a step back in time then go ahead, the option is there. Go back to basic cable or an antenna. Might as well get rid of internet too because that didn't exist either. Maybe it's just me but I feel that people are getting too spoiled. They take things for granted and don't think of what they actually have. If you want all these great features and channels that we have been begging for over the years then we need to be willing to pay the price for it. If we want the same old cheap programming then we need to accept the fact that it will be the same old crap we had years ago.

It may be expensive but I feel I'm getting a LOT for my money. Maybe I'm wrong but this is just my view on the whole thing.

You're wrong in my opinion. You have the option to pay more and more for your programming and new "features". Unfortunately for me and many , many others, there is no way to go back to the cheaper programming and keep my DISH service as it was ,sans time travel and that is not an option except in X-Men movies. The prices of programming and the never ending increasing FEES will continue to grow, locking even more people out of the mix. This will ensure that the remaining people that continue to subscribe to satellite and cable , will have to pay the difference in even higher bills in the future. I don't even need a time machine to see that coming. Inequality in action. Soon only the rich will be able to afford pay tv.

Last edited:
Scherrman;3452208) . Maybe it's just me but I feel that people are getting too spoiled. .[/QUOTE said:
From your later post listing what your programing setup is, you are the one that is spoiled. I am on a fixed income and can't afford the ever increasing prices. Everytime Dish raises prices, I have to cut programing or something else. I used to get 60 channels of basic cable for $12.

Because it gets used so often, I have to ask what is meant by a fixed income. I get it generally means someone on retirement, possibly disability. But I work and I'm on a fixed income - fixed to what my employer pays me. There is no overtime or extra hours anymore. In fact, I have not had a cost of living raise in 2 1/2 years, those retired from my job get a 3% every year. So I am confused what is meant by that.

At one time, $50.00 a month was the limit most people were willing to spend on Cable tv. OF course now you can't even get the lowest regular programming pack for that price. I think many of us still want the price of programming to stay this low ,but sadly those days are gone for ever.

Welcome Pack $19.99
Smart Pack $32.99
Dish America $44.99

Depends on what you consider "regular". Fifteen years ago, 120+ channels was a LOT of channels. I also remember when my family paid $19.99 (or more) for channels 2-13, that was it. I remember paying $35 for cable in the mid 90s where I think the top channel number was around 50.

I remember when Bruce Springsteen sand "57 Channels and Nothing On", and I wished I had 57 channels. Back then, people paid a max of about $50 for cable, because the max number of channels was probably 50-70 channels.

View attachment 97585
This is what I have and after tax I pay about 160. I'm getting a lot if programming so I'm not complaining.

Are you paying some kind of local taxes? About a year or so ago, Dish charged state tax on my bill one month. I called and told them Ga did not have a sales tax on satellite. They corrected it on my next bill.

Welcome Pack $19.99
Smart Pack $32.99
Dish America $44.99

Depends on what you consider "regular". Fifteen years ago, 120+ channels was a LOT of channels. I also remember when my family paid $19.99 (or more) for channels 2-13, that was it. I remember paying $35 for cable in the mid 90s where I think the top channel number was around 50.

I remember when Bruce Springsteen sand "57 Channels and Nothing On", and I wished I had 57 channels. Back then, people paid a max of about $50 for cable, because the max number of channels was probably 50-70 channels.

I knew about the lowest programming packs with SD channels and the very select Hd only pack ,but I was talking about Regular "Top" programming packs like top 120 with Out Sports rsn pack. I am paying now $54.99 for that pack and it barely qualifies for my families needs. And it is about $4.99 over the $50.00 limit I used to have years ago and that is just the programming. I am paying about $29.00 in monthly fees alone with my hopper,super joey , joey receivers. DISH Fees are almost as high as what I used to pay for top 120 , not so many years ago.

If you call endless repeats of the same crap, as getting a lot for your money. Then I guess your right.

Todays guide

USA.... endless loop of repeats of LO SVU
TVLand.... loops of The Nanny and Roseanne
DiY......Yard Crashers and Vanilla ice Project
HGTV..... Love or List it and Beach Front Bargain hunt
E!....Kardashian crap
AE..... Loops of Longmire and Criminal Minds
History... WWII in HD all day
BBCA.... Loop of Top Gear Doctor Who and Star Trek TNG
TNT.... Law and Order till afternoon movies
NFL Net.... loops of Americas Game
Mtv....Loop of Catfish the tv Show
Mtv 2...loops of Everbody Hates Chris and Fear Factor
TLC... loops of My First Home and Hoarders
Discovery.... Loop of Rocky Mountain Bounty Hunters and Deadliest Catch
APL... Loops of Mountain Monsters and Monsters and Mysteries in America
Esquire.... Loops of Lucky Bastards
Sci....Loop of Outrageous Acts of Science
Travel...Loops of Man v Food and Food Paradise
HLN.... Loop of Forensic Files
Weather.....Loop of Building Invincible
TRU....Loop of Hardcore Pawn and South Beach Tow
Velocity. ...Loop of Desert Car Kings
Reelz....Loop of Bomb Girls

So your point is that it's a holiday weekend and the stations are running special marathons of their shows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: savechad
Hardly representative. During the season I have timer after timer of new shows to record. But even at that - I caught onto Desert Car Kings late, and will watch some of those these weekend.

So your point is that it's a holiday weekend and the stations are running special marathons of their shows?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is not a special Holiday programming marathon. It's a daily scheduling occurence. Get your remote out and check the guide for the rest of the week, if your so smart.

Tuesday is not a Holiday yet same ol craptastic schedule as usual.

Usa LO SVU all day
Tvland 4 shows on a loop
Diy 3 shows on a loop
Hgtv. House Hunters International all day
E! Sex and the City loop
AE. 3 shows on loop
History. American Pickers all day
Syfy. Scare tactics all day
Oxygen. Bad girls club all day
Bravo. 2 shows in a loop
BBCA. 4 shows in a loop
TNT 3 shows in a loop
Mtv. 2 shows in a loop
Mtv2 4 shows in a loop
cmt a movie and 2 shows in a loop
Tlc. Breaking amish in a loop
Animal planet. Dirty jobs in a loop
Natgeo 3 shows in a loop
Esquire loop of american ninja warrior
ID 3 shows in a loop
Sci. 2 shows in a loop
Travel 4 shows in a loop
Spike. Bar rescue in a loop with a couple of movies.

Consumers keep getting robbed for more money to support a hundred channels with very little programming instead of the media groups actually having to program a full schedule every day with some variety.

As it is, I just turn it all off and will never hear about what little new programming they have that might be worth my time.

Plenty of other things I can spend my money on instead of a bunch of worthless tv channels and they have about pushed me to that limit. Dish pause or dropping paid programming and paying for no contract cable during football season is getting more and more palatable as I find fewer and fewer enjoyable things worth my time from paid tv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: gardo403
There was a Law and Order: Criminal Intent loop on Ion last night and I watched the crap out of it because I like the show. I'm not sure why loops are inherently evil.

I've had fun watching loops of Top Gear and other shows too. Certain types of shows work well enough that way. I never seek out a show like Pawn Stars or How it's made to watch one 24 min. episode, but if I happen to see a few in a row it's usually pretty enjoyable way to kill an hour and a half on a lazy evening.

Reactions: Tampa8
My monthly cost for programming.

Dish Welcome Pack with ViP 722 and ViP 211 -- $34.86 ( Mainly keep this for the DVR )
Broadband Internet -- $51.99 ( Used for things other than streaming )
Amazon Prime -- $8.25 ( $99 / 12 months when I renew in September )

My monthly cost including internet is $95.10 or $43.11 without the internet. I budget $50 a month to purchase blu-ray discs but generally buy 3 or 4 at a time with my Prime membership. Plenty of stuff to watch using Amazon Prime streaming and they just struck a deal with HBO for series more than 3 years old. Showtime and the others will probably follow suit if it is a money-maker for HBO.

Plenty of programming on OTA as well with more trickling in as folks drop cable and satellite in favor of OTA.

I knew about the lowest programming packs with SD channels and the very select Hd only pack ,but I was talking about Regular "Top" programming packs like top 120 with Out Sports rsn pack. I am paying now $54.99 for that pack and it barely qualifies for my families needs. And it is about $4.99 over the $50.00 limit I used to have years ago and that is just the programming. I am paying about $29.00 in monthly fees alone with my hopper,super joey , joey receivers. DISH Fees are almost as high as what I used to pay for top 120 , not so many years ago.

Yes, yes, we know, it costs more now than then.

It's a rip-off and we all know it.

"Basic cable service prices increased by 6.5 percent [to $22.63] for the 12 months ending January 1, 2013. Expanded basic cable prices increased by 5.1 percent [to $64.41] for those 12 months, and at a compound average annual rate of 6.1 percent over the 18-year period from 1995-2013," the FCC said.

The basic cable increase was four times the rate of inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for the 12-month period, and substantially above inflation for the 1995-2013 measurement.

"These price increases compare to a 1.6 percent increase in general inflation as measured by the CPI (All Items) for the same one-year period," the FCC wrote. "The CPI’s compound average annual rate of growth over the 18-year period was 2.4 percent."

Reactions: MikeD-C05

I am spoiled? LOL. I do not have an expensive house or even an expensive car. I do not own a boat, motorcycle or other expensive toys like that. I like to spend my money on electronics, fishing and golf. Everyone has their hobbies that they like to spend their money on. Heck, some people blow all their money on cigarettes, booze and drugs. Just because I choose to spend my money on TV doesn't make me spoiled. Don't forget the fact that I run a business that sells Dish and TVs so it's kind of my job to stay on top of this stuff.

I'm not trying to judge people here, just trying to help people see what they truly have. If you really don't believe what you have is worth the money then why keep it? I use to have the Everything Pack until it got to the point where the expense wasn't worth what I was getting in return so I dropped to the AT250.

People can complain about Dish all they want. It is the television providers that are responsible for the notable hikes in channel costs and bundling. They are also responsible for their programming, not Dish.

People can whine about Dish's fees, they really aren't out of touch with other companies. In fact, you get a bit more from their fees than from other companies where you pay high fees for crap receivers.

What I gleaned from that article:

"US homes on average receive 189.1 cable TV channels and only watch 17.5 of them."

With an average price per channel of .45 each in the extortion/bundling model, even if all channel prices went up an average of ten-fold in the ala-carte model, the total cost per customer would still be lower on average, and the craptastic channels on bundled life-support would die off in a truly competitive market.

I am spoiled? LOL. I do not have an expensive house or even an expensive car. I do not own a boat, motorcycle or other expensive toys like that. I like to spend my money on electronics, fishing and golf. Everyone has their hobbies that they like to spend their money on. Heck, some people blow all their money on cigarettes, booze and drugs. Just because I choose to spend my money on TV doesn't make me spoiled. Don't forget the fact that I run a business that sells Dish and TVs so it's kind of my job to stay on top of this stuff.

I'm not trying to judge people here, just trying to help people see what they truly have. If you really don't believe what you have is worth the money then why keep it? I use to have the Everything Pack until it got to the point where the expense wasn't worth what I was getting in return so I dropped to the AT250.

Electronics, golf, and Fishing. Thats my kind of life... now if only I could convince my wife regarding the cost of said hobbies...

Reactions: Tampa8
Electronics, golf, and Fishing. Thats my kind of life... now if only I could convince my wife regarding the cost of said hobbies...

Just because those are my hobbies doesn't mean I get to enjoy them as much as I'd like. ;) Other than that I really don't spend much money on other things.

There is a family I know that has a nice house on the local golf course with a couple vehicles, one of them being very nice, and they complain about not having enough money. So many people live beyond what they can afford and then complain about how everything is so expensive and how they live on a fixed income.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)