Is Dish even trying to retain its customers?

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
Sadly, I dumped Dish for DirecTV, today. After three or four chats with customer service, I finally got accelerated up the ladder tonight and got to speak with Nichole who's only offer was to transfer my contract to someone else (friend or family) so that I wouldn't have to pay the cancellation penalty. I literally asked for someone to give me a reason to stay with Dish on several occasions and the only concession I got was upgrades to movie channels that I didn't want or waiving the $100 lease fee for a new 722. They just don't get it.

Anyway, I ended up setting the termination for the 24th, the day after DirecTV is scheduled to be installed. Now I'm just waiting for my boxes to arrive so I can break-up with Dish after six good years. :(

Very happy you are leaving, you will get free stuff every week from Direct TV.:rolleyes:

I'll be leaving too if Charlie doesn't come to my house personally, give me free lifetime programming and wash my car. Otherwise I'll hold my breath and throw a tantrum until Obama guarantees me a free lunch and Angelina Jolie sleeps with me.

Sadly, I dumped Dish for DirecTV, today. After three or four chats with customer service, I finally got accelerated up the ladder tonight and got to speak with Nichole who's only offer was to transfer my contract to someone else (friend or family) so that I wouldn't have to pay the cancellation penalty. I literally asked for someone to give me a reason to stay with Dish on several occasions and the only concession I got was upgrades to movie channels that I didn't want or waiving the $100 lease fee for a new 722. They just don't get it.

Anyway, I ended up setting the termination for the 24th, the day after DirecTV is scheduled to be installed. Now I'm just waiting for my boxes to arrive so I can break-up with Dish after six good years. :(

so you called threatening to leave for DTV in hopes they would offer you a bunch of free stuff and maybe some $$ off and instead they called your bluff and now your pissed?

so you called threatening to leave for DTV in hopes they would offer you a bunch of free stuff and maybe some $$ off and instead they called your bluff and now your pissed?
Actually, they did offer him some things, including a new 722, but that still was not good enough.

Hey since were talking about break up stories with no real point or decent ending, can I talk about my recent break up with my girlfriend and how i took my nearly free satellite system with me?

agreed. i know people who do this all the time and they always get upset when things do not go their way. MOF, a friend did this recently and switched to u-verse since E* did not credit him anything for the loss of FX (i am sure you all remember). He will be crawling back next month.

the OP didn't say what the problem was...

Didn't Dish Network just start giving most of their customers the Starz movie pack (not just the main Starz channel), which is mostly in HD, for free for a year? Maybe I'm not cynical enough not to consider that some sort of attempt at retaining customers. Granted, Starz is showing Gigli, which could be seen as a big smack down on Starz subscribers... but I don't think that is all Dish Network's fault. ;)

Granted, I'm a Dish Network fanboy because Charlie not only came to my home, he cooked me dinner and bought me a free car. Now that is how you retain subscribers! :D

I think I understand a little bit of where the original poster is coming from. I was a loyal cable customer for years, but the price just kept going up until there was no possible way I could afford it anymore. Meanwhile, I'd see these super-awesome advertised deals for new customers, who would pay a fraction of what I was paying, and read press reports that 50% of my cable company's customers were on some sort of a promo, and here I had to leave because I couldn't afford their rate and they wouldn't cut me the same breaks they were cutting most of their customers. A lot of people have the mindset that customer loyalty should be rewarded -- and that if anything that long-term customers should get a better deal than a new customer, not the short end of the stick.

I'd actually be interested in seeing the churn rate for the various cable and satellite television providers. The way the system is set up, it makes the most economic sense for people to go back and forth like pin balls, getting as many new customer incentives as they can, and then switching every time their incentives expire with cable or their dish contracts run out.

There is one big reason that I will stay with Dish. My wife has figured out how to use the remote. She never figured out the remote to my 4DTV ird. So, if the wife is happy, I'm happy. Plus I have a lot of stuff on my EHD. I just replaced my 722 because the old one was overheating. I was able to move everything to the EHD.
Everyone is raising rates. It's a fact of life. At least Dish will not have a price increase for 2 years. I also have the super basic cable from TW (approx $10/month). Between RR and cable I have had 2 increases in the last 6 months.
As for the guide being in error, that's not Dish's fault. It's Tribune that supplies the info. Who supplies the guide info for Direct?

Ok, I didn't know anyone wanted the long version. I'm not pissed, I am dissappointed. I have enjoyed being a Dish subscriber and I can't really say anything bad about them other than they are just not competitive unless you want just some basic service. Chalk me up as another person that is bothered by the idea that Dish and Cable companies are far more interested in landing new customers than retaining current ones. Until lately, though, Dish always seemed to land on their feet and their customer service was second to none. Here's the story.

I recently went from a two tv to four tv household, 2 HD and 2 SD. The first four years with Dish were great, the last two were just barely good. It just seems like they've been sliding with all the carriage disputes, inferior PQ to D*, dealing with technical issues, phone calls from auditors, etc.

I've had my 722 hooked up to my OTA antenna for about a year and last fall, for some reason, the DVR would not record the OTA ABC affiliate. Long story short, the 722 needed to be replaced but it took three chat sessions and two phone calls over the course of several weeks before Dish would believe it, including comments by Dish employees that said "your service problem has been noted and sent to tech support. Issues are ranked by priority and your problem will be addressed in a similar fashion." I asked when I would expect a call and they told me to just give it a try again in a couple of weeks, either it will have been fixed or it won't. No one will call you. After getting clarification about that statement (which is exactly what it says), I waited three weeks with no resolution and finally had to call and demand a new 722. It shouldn't have been that difficult and it never has been in the past.

Since then I have been keeping my eyes open for a "better" service. When it came time to add another HD and SD tv I called Dish for a second 722 and they wanted $100 up front, an additional $17/month, a visit from a tech and renew the contract at $82/month. I just figured that if tech and customer service had really gone downhill that much and I was gonna have to pay up front for equipment anyway and restart the contract clock, then it might not be a bad idea to explore other options.

In the end, there was no reason, other than sentiment, not to switch. I get a better programming package, with Whole Home DVR (2 DVRs) and a lower monthly payment with D*. At any point, had a Dish employee waived the $100 equipment fee and offered a competitive monthly rate (not necessarily better, just competitive) I would have gladly stuck around, even with the inferior programming and equipment. I chatted with Dish reps three times before signing with D* and explained the situation to the rep, wanting a reason not to go with D*. They wouldn't even move me up to customer retention until I told them that I wanted to schedule a cancellation of service. To this moment, if Dish could offer me something competitive, I would cancel the install and stick around.

Anyway, that's my reasoning. I just keep seeing Dish slide with customer service. When you call them, the only answer seems to be offering Starz or some other premium channel that I don't want. With the new rate hike, I would have expected to see Disney/ESPN restored to its former HD glory. After all, isn't the whole reasoning behind these carriage disputes based on the premise that Dish is refusing to pay the providers in order to keep rates low for the customers? Well, they raised em anyway, right past D* who doesn't seem to suffer from these kinds of things as much.

Like I said, Dish used to be great, but it looks like they are going the way of everyone else where it's more important to lure potential new customers than to retain the ones you already have.

I think I understand a little bit of where the original poster is coming from. I was a loyal cable customer for years, but the price just kept going up until there was no possible way I could afford it anymore. Meanwhile, I'd see these super-awesome advertised deals for new customers, who would pay a fraction of what I was paying, and read press reports that 50% of my cable company's customers were on some sort of a promo, and here I had to leave because I couldn't afford their rate and they wouldn't cut me the same breaks they were cutting most of their customers. A lot of people have the mindset that customer loyalty should be rewarded -- and that if anything that long-term customers should get a better deal than a new customer, not the short end of the stick.

I'd actually be interested in seeing the churn rate for the various cable and satellite television providers. The way the system is set up, it makes the most economic sense for people to go back and forth like pin balls, getting as many new customer incentives as they can, and then switching every time their incentives expire with cable or their dish contracts run out.

This right here.

I don't want Starz. It's nice they are offering it for free, but I will never watch it. Unless something changes in the way these companies do business, I plan on bouncing around every couple of years. There's really no point to loyalty. There used to be with Dish, that's why I stuck around as long as possible, but unfortunately, they expect me to be loyal but don't see the value in doing the same. Quid Pro Quo.

The EHD thing is the one thing I will miss. E* still does this better than D*.

Working in retail I have helped many people cancel their service with both providers. From my own experience it seems D* offers more to retain customers. I am reluctant to respond to threads like this because all the loyalists come out of the woodwork. It is both providers faults for constantly bombarding us with the non stop new customer advertisements, do they think existing customers won't see this? It is only human to try & get a better deal. People cancel service for many reasons other than trying to get something for free, everyone's situation is different. Whether it be financial, moving, family related or whatever. The bottom line is TV is way overpriced and is seriously becoming a disposable service for a better deal. Time for a wake up or churn call........

I truly hope when someone switches from whomever to whomever, they don't solely do it because of economics. There are no apples to apples moves in this industry. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, and strengths a weaknesses are ALWAYS subjective. Someone's inferior programming will always be someone else's favorite. Some will put more emphasis on equipment than others. No two people have the same exact viewing habits. One Co's DVR my be great for some households, and totally lacking for others. One thing I do believe is the most constant among all providers is lesser customer service and loyalty incentives. Despite those problems, some chose to stay with who they are with $$$ are taken out of the equation, and some wish they hadn't So my point is, "Mover" beware. Balance emotion with all the other factors.

I've had 3 providers since I've been in this home. I like new technology and don't really have a problem switching to get it. I have no bitterness to a provider that wouldn't offer an incentive to stay. I have had only one provider that I would never use again due to picture quality and sound drop issues. Company's exist to make a profit and consumers like new tech and low prices. I certainly see why existing customers are unhappy when new subs get great deals. I left a provider when hd was new to get an hd Dvr that would have cost $300.

Well the OP gave a very rational and well thought out reasons why he left Dish. I also agree that the the business model has changed and we as consumers need to accept the changes. What that means is that we'll all have two sets of dishes on the roof - one for Direct and one for Dish as well as a cable strung from the utility pole. Every year or so, we'll unscrew the coax from the current providers DVR and screw it into the new one, Rinse and Repeat. I don't like it but I didn't make the rules.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)