Is Dish going for a takeover buyout of HULU? Things that make you go: hmmmmm....

Where did you get Dish from this? Why not Direct? Netflix? Google? Yahoo? (As the article suggests)

Go Charlie go & Tampa 8 is right. There is no mention of Charlie in the article whatsoever. Are you just speculating?

Yes, of course I'm speculating. Why not Charlie? Isn't he an empire builder? He's been a busy beaver at taking over many other companies related to things such as this. Why not Hulu? It isn't that hard to postulate that possibility, is it?

No, Charlie is a smart businessman, the smartest in the MVPD business as all the competitors should have put his much smaller business OUT of business a long time ago, but he and Dish are still here and strong. Without long term agreements for content, hulu is NOT that attractive an acquisition unless someone wanted the bones or infrastructure and didn't need the content.

The current content owners, in the short run, seem more likely to set-up their own hulu-like service and reap 100% of the $$$. Right now, the content owners have let Netflix and hulu pay far less than what the content is worth, and the content owners now "get it" and realize they had undervalued their content.

The question is how long can Netflix (or Blockbuster streaming) survive when the content owners finally demand fees more in line of the value of the content or simply decide to offer it without a 3rd party. Yes, Netflix is hot right now, but the business world is filled with the bones of once might companies or those that were destined to become mighty. The world and even the "on-line" model is not what it was.

The question is how long can Netflix (or Blockbuster streaming) survive when the content owners finally demand fees more in line of the value of the content or simply decide to offer it without a 3rd party.
As part of the NBC purchase, Comcast is not allowed to withhold it, if they offer it themselves (through a subisdiary or whatnot), they are required to let others offer it on similar terms.

Anyway, Hulu is already co-owned by ABC, NBC, & Fox. Why would they want to sell it and set up an "inhouse" service, when Hulu is already "inhouse".

It would be a good fit for Google (Who can't get anywhere with their own TV service) and E* has google tv built into some receivers

It would be a good fit for Google (Who can't get anywhere with their own TV service) and E* has google tv built into some receivers

I just deleted Google Chrome because it was making itself my default browser without my authorization.

As part of the NBC purchase, Comcast is not allowed to withhold it, if they offer it themselves (through a subisdiary or whatnot), they are required to let others offer it on similar terms.

Anyway, Hulu is already co-owned by ABC, NBC, & Fox. Why would they want to sell it and set up an "inhouse" service, when Hulu is already "inhouse".

Hulu is NOT in-house. Hulu is a separate company co-owned, and Hulu must pay all content providers, even if they are the co-owners of Hulu themselves, just like DirectTV must pay Starz for its content even though Starz is owned by Liberty Media and both are owned by John Malone. It is how to make a company PROFITABLE and add value to the company by generating PROFITS for that company and makes future sale or IPO (Hulu was going to do an IPO) possible showing spreadsheets with INCOME and value. None of the co-owners of Hulu provide their content for free to Hulu.

I don't know that this makes sense for Charlie. Just because Hulu has all this content now doesn't mean they'd keep it if Charlie bought them. He already has an online platform in Blockbuster and Sling. All he needs to do is get content contracts signed for Blockbuster online and Dish Online and he'll have exactly what Hulu has.

Also, I don't think Charlie wants to get into the business of giving stuff away for free, which is what Hulu's business model is, primarily.

The problem with Hulu is that most of the content is already available on Dish... and thanks to the DVR you can record whatever and watch it whenever. Hulu is an option for people that are cheaping out on cable or Sat TV... not those that pay for cable or Sat TV.

The problem with Hulu is that most of the content is already available on Dish... and thanks to the DVR you can record whatever and watch it whenever. Hulu is an option for people that are cheaping out on cable or Sat TV... not those that pay for cable or Sat TV.

IF you have a DVR.

And with no On Demand, there is no similarity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)