Is Dish going to add more National HD?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I have the HD Absolute package. It is obvious to me that Dish is losing money on this opackage. Why else whould they discontinue it and raise their HD Prices so drastically. It also makes sense that they have no inititive to add anymore HD to the HD Absolute package. Yet they promised that any new HD would be added to the package for no additional charge until Feb 2009. So the simple solutuibn is not add any more National HD before Feb 2009. Then as they add HD that HD Absolute package subscribers want and we will be forced to change to the new more expensive packages. Plus as has been said many times on this forum, Dish already has "up to" 150 HD channels now. Scott, does this sound logical to you?

Yep, sound like the general felling around here. I have Absolute as well. I think we have a fair chance for the Comcast channels when they launch Dec. 8, but not much else. Especially when Charlie came out and said Monday he doesn't see HD as a driver. Just a distraction to cover why they aren't launching HD.

Just trying to understand why at least two current threads on this subject is not enough.:rolleyes:

Those threads were yesterday, the day before, the day before that............:cool:

Same threads, same answers.

All industries are soooo reluctant to do any expanding right now. We have so much work to do to dig ourselves out of the ditch that the republicans have put us in. It is a luxury to even discuss more HD. There are a lot of people dropping pay tv right now trying to weather this possible soon to be depression.

I disagree. A lot of networks may be reluctant to make the HD move, but there is a lot out there Dish can add. More people are buying HDTVs with the digital transition. HDTV prices are dropping and market penetration is increasing. Having competitively priced HD only backs that include the Viacoms (MTV, Spike, et. al.), Foxes (FNC, FX, Speed), and Rainbows (AMC, IFC, WE), and Dish will have some winning packs.

The economy could be opportunity for expansion, too. Encourage people to stay home and watch V instead of the more expensive option of going out.

Only a fraction of subs (including HD subs) cared. I'm glad to see about 12 of those Vooms gone.

But almost every HD sub wants more HD.
I'm one of those glad to see it gone. But remember less then 2 million of E* customers are HD subscribers. Thats about 12 million of E* customers that don't care anything about HD.

Maybe if we keep posting threads, Charlie will finally get it: YOUR SUBS WANT MORE HD OR THEY ARE JUMPING SHIP!!!!

:)

Sorry guys. I don't get it. What is really out there in HD, that we don't have. Sure everyone has an HD channel they would like. For me it would be Comedy Central, which doesn't yet exist. But I don't see anything available, that would really get me excited. :confused:

And please don't tell me Fox News. Someone has already said, "no more politics".

I'm one of those glad to see it gone. But remember less then 2 million of E* customers are HD subscribers. Thats about 12 million of E* customers that don't care anything about HD.

Some of these people continually amaze me. Because they don't care for or watch some channels, in this instance VOOM, they like it that they're removed and to hell with any that liked that programming. Not only is that juvenile and rather self centered but what is to be gained from that attitude?

Incidentally, have you looked in the TV section of any electronics store lately? All you would see are flat screen HD TV's and that's pretty much all that's been selling for the past couple of years now. The ratio of HD subscribers is constantly increasing and will never get lower.

I suspect Charlie makes those statements about HD not being a driving force simply to justify not adding any new HD right now either because there's a capacity issue of he wants to wait to coincide with the price increase.

Some of these people continually amaze me. Because they don't care for or watch some channels, in this instance VOOM, they like it that they're removed and to hell with any that liked that programming. Not only is that juvenile and rather self centered but what is to be gained from that attitude?

Hey, it would be great to have all the programming available. But that is not possible right now. Until then, majority has to rule. Very few want Ultra HD, Treasure HD, Gallery HD, and so on. There were maybe 3 or 4 channels that were significantly watched.

Sorry guys. I don't get it. What is really out there in HD, that we don't have. Sure everyone has an HD channel they would like. For me it would be Comedy Central, which doesn't yet exist. But I don't see anything available, that would really get me excited.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...t-hd-channels-not-available-dish-network.html

There are 22 traditional national channels, 20 premiums, 15 Vooms, 29* to be launched probably in the next year, not to mentioned 35 HD RSNs not carried full time (or not at all in some cases).

That's 86 channels probably available in a year (many already out there). Since Dish claims to have 114, that "200"+ channels (considering they already count most of those RSNs.

There is a lot out there.

*not counting the Fios HD exclusives

I actually saw a promo on E! for something that said "available in HD"

The floodgates are getting ready to open. This time next year, we'll be back to not having enough bandwidth to carry everything again.

Hey, it would be great to have all the programming available. But that is not possible right now. Until then, majority has to rule. Very few want Ultra HD, Treasure HD, Gallery HD, and so on. There were maybe 3 or 4 channels that were significantly watched.

Majority? What majority? This is Charlie pure and simple.

It is a known fact that most people turn their tv on at 7PM, flip thru the network channels until they find a program that they like and that is the channel they stay on until bedtime. Drones is what most people are! The people on this forum are not a majority, but we are not drones either.

Seems to be a flood of rumour, innuendo and opinion about what Charlie will or won't do with HD.

If we're to judge by what he (or another official spokesperson) actually said, then "HD not a driving force" seems to indicate his response to the bad economy and Dish's poor performance is to cut back on adding HD rather than aggressively competing with D*, FIOS, etc. on that front. There are people (and politicians :)) who think the way to improve the economy in general and their business in particular is to scale back expansion plans, pull in their horns and hope things get better. Charlie may be one of them. Good luck to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts