Is Dish going to add more National HD?

Seems to be a flood of rumour, innuendo and opinion about what Charlie will or won't do with HD.

If we're to judge by what he (or another official spokesperson) actually said, then "HD not a driving force" seems to indicate his response to the bad economy and Dish's poor performance is to cut back on adding HD rather than aggressively competing with D*, FIOS, etc. on that front. There are people (and politicians :)) who think the way to improve the economy in general and their business in particular is to scale back expansion plans, pull in their horns and hope things get better. Charlie may be one of them. Good luck to him.

I did not see the speech or whatever in which Charlie made the alleged remark cited, and thus can't judge the context. In every Charlie Chat or Tech Forum in which the subject has been discussed for the last year or two, Charlie, Mark and the rest of the Dish gang have consistently discussed a significant expansion of HD, not contraction. Before AMC 14 was lost, Charlie had a very aggressive expansion of both national channels in HD and also HD locals set out.

The sad fact is Dish (and we Dish customers) are running 9 months behind on Charlie's original schedule, due to that one errant endeavor. Since the lead time in getting a new satellite put on order, designed, built, and launched is 2 to 3 years, that's approximately how long Dish will be playing catch-up. Not coincidentally, perhaps, that's about the lead Dish had on DirecTv in the rollout of a significant amount of HD, and now Dish is scrambling to just stay even in the race.

Best regards,
fitzie

I did not see the speech or whatever in which Charlie made the alleged remark cited, and thus can't judge the context. In every Charlie Chat or Tech Forum in which the subject has been discussed for the last year or two, Charlie, Mark and the rest of the Dish gang have consistently discussed a significant expansion of HD, not contraction. Before AMC 14 was lost, Charlie had a very aggressive expansion of both national channels in HD and also HD locals set out.

The sad fact is Dish (and we Dish customers) are running 9 months behind on Charlie's original schedule, due to that one errant endeavor. Since the lead time in getting a new satellite put on order, designed, built, and launched is 2 to 3 years, that's approximately how long Dish will be playing catch-up. Not coincidentally, perhaps, that's about the lead Dish had on DirecTv in the rollout of a significant amount of HD, and now Dish is scrambling to just stay even in the race.

Best regards,
fitzie

Yeah I know AMC 14 cut off many planned HD LIL's and much planned national HD. I do think Dish would be neck and neck with DirectTV right now as well on national HD with AMC-14. Of course, Verizon is slaughtering both. That's another matter.

I have to say I am upset .... The last time I got a new HD channel was my 1 local channel(which should have been all of them) about a month ago. There really should be no reason for Dish to be holding back on new channels that have content. regardless if they broadcast all the time. Everyone is getting new HDTV's...this is the time to be the Leader in H D service and they are slacking......A closed mouth don't get fed!

Dropping VOOM? I'm curious. How did one go about dropping VOOM?

In Feb., Dish began offering an HD essentials and HD ultimate pack, for $10 and $20 a month, respectively. The big difference between the two was Voom. So many dropped Voom to save $10/month.

And don't pick on The Soup. Awesome show. :D

I don't know if Absolute is the reason for delaying new HD but the glacial pace for converting the MPEG2 HD channels tells me Dish doesn't need the space yet. I don't think they are losing money on the package but I think it was too popular and pulled subs away from the regular packages.

They only have 1.5 months to add 50 more HD channels according to the adds on TV, Newspaper, ect... They better get busy.

They only have 1.5 months to add 50 more HD channels according to the adds on TV, Newspaper, ect... They better get busy.

that's still plenty of time to add a few more channels. don't worry about it. enjoy what you have.

My local Cox cable is adding 10 more HD channels here in Pensacola. It will put them at around 50 good HD channels(not including RSN & PPV). If Dish doesn't add some soon, Cox is looking better and better. Plus they are adding some that Dish doesn't have that I want.

My local Cox cable is adding 10 more HD channels here in Pensacola. It will put them at around 50 good HD channels(not including RSN & PPV). If Dish doesn't add some soon, Cox is looking better and better. Plus they are adding some that Dish doesn't have that I want.

How is Cox cable dvr????

I know I'm late in this discussion, and I also know how passionate some are about their "VOOM" suite of HD, but the truth is that the majority is going to be the HD crowd in less than three years. So if Charlie wants to make a play, then the time is now.

I just got off the phone with a Dish CSR who told me that they will announce more than 40 HD channels a week after Thanksgiving. Which ones, I don't know, as this is what they told me. Probably 30 HD-On Demand channels, but it will be interesting to see if what they are telling is the truth or one of the many lies that Dish has given me over my 14 month stay. If this is a lie, I am on the first train smokin to Direct in April. Only time will tell

I just got off the phone with a Dish CSR who told me that they will announce more than 40 HD channels a week after Thanksgiving.

Put through the Bablefish to translate from PR speak into American English
"On black Friday when you buy your cheap HD LCD panels... PLEASE, PLEASE, pLease, please, please, please, pretty please don't sign up for directv because we have HD too...."

But you never know, I mean the Phillies won the world series this year... and the Cardinals look like a playoff team, so stranger things have happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar