Is dish moving away from Dual tuner receivers?

purvis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
I noticed that that new 211/411 are single receiver boxes. Is dish moving away from the dual tuner receivers? It was always nice to save $5 here and there and it would seem that dual tuner boxes would save money for them on swapouts.

No dish isnt moving away from them, there will be a combination of both types atleast for the near future but they wont go away as they are a carrot to atract customers with lower prices on multi tv hookups.

Yes they will go away from them. There is a 4 tuner box in the works. Soon you will just have a master box in a central location, then just hook up boxes by the tv. Everything run by RF remotes.

with 4 HD off air tuners?

Dave nye said:
Yes they will go away from them. There is a 4 tuner box in the works. Soon you will just have a master box in a central location, then just hook up boxes by the tv. Everything run by RF remotes.

Gosh, that would work well in my centralized system! And when I had a guest over, I could make the guest bedroom have it's own tuner, otherwise I'd have command of all 4 all over the house.

I hope this never happens, as I'd never leave the house! :eek:

If they want to combat account stacking and piracy the master box will be needed. They should make all receivers with at least two tuners in them as most people have at least two television hookups I find.

The 411/211 is a start for a SD/HD all in one box, but I feel certain that they will have the dual tuner models not long after.

They should have kept it simple and have just one box, with multiple tuners and the hard drive as an option which, if present, activates the DVR features. Most importantly, only ONE software to work the bugs out of instead of several. That would sure be easier on the software development team.

Of course they could still do this, assuming they haven't actually built the dual tuner or DVR boxes yet, could base them on the same hardware platform with a few more chips and components added, and the same software.

Dave nye said:

That rumours been going around for years now, it was something hinted at in a FSS training manual when they revised that training about 3 years ago. And a nightmare it will be to put in in many homes considering that there are a great deal of homes in the south that are sitting on slabs or crawls or theres the finished basement problem. It will be the worst thing in the world to install in any house other than one that has a basement, honestly if they come out with it I will retire from dish and go work for comcast or directv. I'd rather see them try to do something wireless.

Just make all of the receivers to where you can add the hard drive onto it for dvr functionality and add a tuner onto it for additional tuner functionality. What is so hard about that? One basic receiver, make it expandable.

But if they go to 1 master box, I hope they allow multiple HD connections instead of just coax for the second, third and fourth TVs.

Van,

It won't be any different than the stuff we have now. It should be easier. One or two lines in from the dish, a box that holds the main board and hard drive. Then you have 1 cable run to each tv. The main box could go anywhere, crawl space, attic, or a utility room. Only houses it would be more difficult are complete finshed with no wires at all, or old farm houses.

At each tv is a small box that has your connections (HDMI, RCA, S-video, and F) and a power hook up. The main box gets it's power from the small connections box, kind of like the power inserter for switches. No more problems with remotes not reaching the main receiver because the antenna is built into the connection box as well.

This is just a pipe dream of mine. It should be easy enough to develop though.

Van I know what you are talking about as well. Basically a 4 tuner box like what we have now.

I love the idea of a main box, even more if its a DVR. One of the things I really like about Dish is the DVR. I can record in my bedroom or living room and watch on either. This would be really cool if there were another two tuners and you could watch the DVR on any TV in the house or record three shows while watching a fourth. I could see no drawback to this.

AlaJoe said:
.....if there were another two tuners and you could watch the DVR on any TV in the house or record three shows while watching a fourth. I could see no drawback to this.

Wouldn't this cost a lot more than a 942 ?
Wouldn't the added complexity cause a lot more bugs?

Last edited:
brdishnet said:
Ever heard of an attic Dave Nay, its installers like you that give Dish a bad name.
Ever herd of dirt/dust/rain rodents that gets into ANY attic. Do you even have clue how a house is built. Its idiots like YOU who give installers who do there jobs correctly the bad rep when we have to legitly tell a customer it will not work.

Cables and splitters/diplexers yeah there fine as there's no exposed electronics.
Unfinished/Finished basements (crawl spaces aren't unfinished basements), utilities rooms or any where INSIDE the house are viable locations. Attic that gets to 150F or higher in the summer and below freezing in the winter is killer and voids the EQ warranty and I for sure would make sure the original installer out of pocketed for a new receiver for installing it in violation of the warranty parameters and paid for relocating it to a correct location.

Looks like someone need to re-read the dam operators manual before considering another attic as a good place for the receiver and go take a few SBCA certification tests before running his mouth.

brdishnet said:
Ever heard of an attic Dave Nay, its installers like you that give Dish a bad name.

Your a foolish person to make such a remark about a long standing member of this board. If this is how you are going to start your patronage of this website then kindly move on, all of us here work hard to stand above the mouth breathing and knuckle dragging mentality that is prevailant in other sites so maybe another site would be more to your liking.

Alright brdisnet (learn to read and spell my freaking name right DH)

You must think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well give it to me bad boy. SBCA certified, Directway Comercial certified, Wildblue certified, and CEDIA certification. I have been installing electronics in houses since 1988.

Now if you read my freaking post you would see that this was just an idea of something I think can be devolped. I realize that attics and crawl spaces are not the greatest place in the world for electronics, but where there is a will there is a way.

Next time why don't you read the post before you run off at your mouth!!!!!

I'm sorry for the rest that have to read this. I don't take to being attacked to well.

Last edited:
Dave nye said:
Van,
It won't be any different than the stuff we have now. It should be easier. One or two lines in from the dish, a box that holds the main board and hard drive. Then you have 1 cable run to each tv. The main box could go anywhere, crawl space, attic, or a utility room. Only houses it would be more difficult are complete finshed with no wires at all, or old farm houses.

It would be nice but dish has a tendacy to find military size warehouses full of legacy lnbfs and switchs just like they have over the summer and into the winter now and will send us these parts and limit or withhold dp and dpp lnbfs and switchs. I can see it happen with the advent of a dpp quad tuner and all the techs will have is a legacy quad or maybe a dp quad and have to run 4 lines to the receiver.

Attics are tricky for receivers, Ive seen a small few that a receiver would be ok in, a crawlspace I would not dream of putting a receiver in as they are almost always plagued with moisture, dust, and insects. In new homes now the utility rooms are being moved further inside the home and basements are getting finished so getting to the closet is getting harder. I'd preffer the farm house over any modern house any day of the week because the basement is open, tv's are on outside facing walls, and the customers are a hell of alot more acomidating and nicer than those in the city.

Im not jumping on the bash Dave Nye the satellite guy waggon, :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)