Is Dish net getting NBC HD??

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
sorry if somebody else already asked this, but is Dish Net also getting NBC HD like DirectTV already does? :confused: I called a CSR from dish and they said that they are "in negotiation" with NBC. Now, because normally their CSR don't really have a clue of what is going on, I wonder if she said that just so that she'd have something to say...

Thanks,

Francisco

TBarclay said:
This time the CSR was correct. Dish does not carry an NBC-HD feed, only CBS right now.

yes, I do know they don't carry it. But, what I was wondering was if they're really negotiating with NBC to have it like the CSR told me.

F

When they don't carry something, they just say they are negotiating it even if they aren't, to dish it's the same thing...

Have not heard anything on NBC but who knows for sure since its still a local network. Those I would think would be last just becasue of that its local and unless you live in a big market. Like LA, or New York these rest of the markets are slow to get things moved over because they are allot smaller.

Fgsilva said:
sorry if somebody else already asked this, but is Dish Net also getting NBC HD like DirectTV already does? :confused: I called a CSR from dish and they said that they are "in negotiation" with NBC. Now, because normally their CSR don't really have a clue of what is going on, I wonder if she said that just so that she'd have something to say...

Thanks,

Francisco

hello sir, i am a csr at dish net and to tell you the truth we know as much as you do, to be honest we wont know to last minute or a day after it happens, but from what i heard that we are actually in negotiations w/ nbc for that chan and are also try to support a bill to be passed to make all 4 ajor nets to be available in hd

ZakCalator said:
we know as much as you do
Actually for most CSRs that's actually an overstatement, as they don't know a whole lot ;)

ZakCalator said:
are also try to support a bill to be passed to make all 4 major nets to be available in hd

Just so you can let dish know, so they don't stick to that story, that the Bill has actually been passed :clap

They probably will now, check this out:

President Bush Signs Satellite TV Bill into Law

On Wednesday, President Bush signed into law a $388 billion appropriations package that covers spending for all federal departments outside the Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security. The omnibus package includes key satellite TV provisions that Congress, lobbyists and the industry have been working on throughout the year.

The new law, the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) of 2004, gives satellite TV 18 months to phase out a two-dish solution for reception of a certain set of locals, an item that targets EchoStar and its use of two dishes for receiving a select set of local TV channels for a number of markets.

In addition, the act includes a provision allowing satellite TV to deliver "significantly viewed" stations to consumers who live outside the station's home market. There's also royalty rate language that allows the parties involved to negotiate their business arrangements rather than going through a CARP process. And the new provisions extend for five years the compulsory license that allows DBS services to provide superstations and distant network signals.

SHVERA also allows for the creation of a "digital white area," which will allow satellite TV companies to deliver distant broadcast digital and high-def signals to consumers who cannot receive a local digital TV signal.

This last part means that those of us who are out of range of the major networks via their affiliates will be able to receive those HDTV networks through our satellite providers as many of us do now with CBS and NBC. That is very welcome news. Dish should be complimented on their lobbying efforts on this issue.

Except the digital white area needs to be created first, which I've heard will take 2 years. I do believe that analog white area folks can get digitial distants in 60 days.

Back in 98 I was able to get distant locals from Dish by having someone come out to my house and do an off air signal test using a device they hooked up to my antenna. Does anyone know if this same type of service can be used for Digital or do they still allow this for analog?

that's probably what they use, but it still probably wont be until there's a model present where you can contest your signal.

Huh? They analog waivers and white area is still intact. It's the creation of digital white areas that needs to be done.

But another thing that's important in the new bill you can no longer get distants if you have LiL on satellite, so waivers will no longer work for that.

i think they are also going to create NEW white areas based on more exact info and science not that guess and prediction model they use now.

charper1 said:
i think they are also going to create NEW white areas based on more exact info and science not that guess and prediction model they use now.

I wonder what will be the standard antenna that will be use to determined normal white area reception? Or is it a certain signal strength standard?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts