Is Dish really this stupid?!?!?!?

msb212

Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Ok, I am simply amazed. I am a curent Dish customer. I have the america's everything pack, HD, Voom, the works. Curently, I have a 942 and 2 811's. I called Dish to see about upgrading the 942 to a 622, and swap one of the 811's with a second 622 - yes, I have two HD tv's, and I want dvr functionality on both.

I was told this was not possible, only 1 622 per customer. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Told the same thing. Demanded to speak to the supervisor's surpervisor. They told me that they would allow me to have two, but I could only get the second when the first installation was completed. So, miss two days of work so they can do two installs. I tol dthem to forget it, and that I was going back to DirecTv.

Am I crazy? Is it possible that this is really Dish's policy, or did I just happen to speak with someone clueless? I simply cannot imagine I am the only person who has two HD tv's and wants to have dvr functionality on both.

Love some advice! Thanks!

The software they use internally for scheduling and customer support is apparently not very flexible. The supervisor's boss found a way to work around their flawed system. I'm not defending the flaws in their system, just pointing out that you did in fact eventually find someone who could help.

The second "install" likely won't be much since any change in dish antennae and switch will be required for the first install, you can probably get the first guy to make sure you have the cable connected correctly so they can just ship you the second one and you plug it in yourself at your convenience. In fact, since you already have HD and Voom most likely they could ship them both to you for that matter.

Last edited:
That's essentially what I did with my second 622 install. The first installer set up the switches and the antenna, so when I received the second 622, it was a simple matter of plugging it in. I did explain to the CSR when I called to activate that I really did not need a formal install, and she was cool. I had purchased the two receivers online, separately, and at different times, from authorized DISH retailers.

Good luck:)

Just seems incredibly inefficient andsilly to have to do it twice, and to beforeced to speak with three different people to accomplish it. Why should they care at all?

Also, where does one simplhy purchase the unit - I was told they were only for lease? what do they cost to purchase, and does it make it more economical in terms of monthly fees?

msb212 said:
Just seems incredibly inefficient andsilly to have to do it twice, and to beforeced to speak with three different people to accomplish it. Why should they care at all?

Also, where does one simplhy purchase the unit - I was told they were only for lease? what do they cost to purchase, and does it make it more economical in terms of monthly fees?

Simply go the The DISH Store logo at the top of the web page, they are listing the 622 for $499. I got one from them, another on eBay from Angel Satellite, as a "buy it now" purchase instead of the auction. Both are DISH-authorized retailers. As to monthly fees, that is probably a function of which package you buy, as well as your own preference as to owning or paying a lease fee. The following post is hopefully useful:

bhelms
Pub Member / Supporter

Pub Member / Supporter
Visit My Blog
DishStore is still advertising them for $499 - not sure what the rest of the cost is, shipping maybe. That's where I got mine in early May and the shipping was free then. I also asked for a HDMI/HDMI cable which they included for $10 more. (The 622 comes with some worthless cables for composite video only - you'll need to buy the component or digital cables for HDTV on your own if you don't already have them.) Overall my experience with DishStore was quite positive, prompt service and e-mail responses.

If you're locked into a lease (I am with an 811) then purchasing the 622 is probably your only option other than breaking your current lease agreement at some cost then signing-up again for another one that includes the 622. I'm not sure how that would work, but I'm sure someone has done it!

One advantage of owning the unit is that you avoid the monthly lease fee, but the payback on that is very long, perhaps beyond the useful lifetime of the unit (shortened somewhat by inevitable future cost increases!). But you do have the flexibility of no commitment (related to the 622) and some programming options. The DVR fee is eliminated with the HDPlatinum package, and you can avoid the second receiver fee with a phone connection. It sounds like you have all the rest of the equipment you need. The 622 will give you the option for a second receiver "location" like your bedroom, but that will be only SD. If you want HD in that location you might want to stick with the 211...

jlakers said:
I had the same problem trying get 2 622s, ended up firing an email off to ceo@echostar.com and they made it happen. Installed 3 days later too.

It's a shame that you had to go through all those hoops just to get 2 622s. I would think that the demand for the 622 has leveled off to an amount where they could issue multiple 622s. After all, it's more money for Dish...sounds like they need to do a much better of job of desiging and developing their CSR software. I'm available to re-write the software at $100/hr + lifetime DISH Network subscription (Platnium version). :D

When you have 2 DVRs on a Dish Network account, do you have to pay 2 DVR fees* or just 1? Just curious.

*Note that I'm not talking about lease fees or telephone hookup fees.

I kept holding off getting dish until I got 2 HD DVRs, which eventually I just gave up and got one then traded everything else in for the second one a month later. A bit retarded, but it worked.

msb212 said:
Just seems incredibly inefficient andsilly to have to do it twice, and to beforeced to speak with three different people to accomplish it.
They have other unbelievable policies. I had a problem with my 622 (turned out to be a connection problem at the dish). I had to reboot often to get a signal. I scheduled a service call which was going to be several days ahead because I wanted it on a weekend. About a week before my service, I called to upgrade from gold to platinum. I was told I couldn't do it because I had an outstanding service call. I couldn't convince the CSR (or her supervisor) to turn on platinum and start charging me additional fees! Finally, I cancelled my service call, ordered platinum and transferrred to the service department to set up another service call. I had to change from Saturday to Sunday for service -- it seems their system doesn't update service schedules real time. But at least I got Platinum when I wanted it even though I had to go around the system to do so...

msb212 said:
... So, miss two days of work so they can do two installs. I told them to forget it, and that I was going back to DirecTv.

Am I crazy? ...
Yes.
Inconvenient as it would be to stay with DISH and all of it's HD, it would be worth it.
But on the bright side everytime a Crazy person switches to DirecTv, an Angel gets their wings. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)