Is DTV the answer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kdelta1

Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Sorry if this subject keeps coming up but; I currenty have Dish HD and I am at wits end in trying to get a good signal from 129, I liver in the upper NW corner of WA state close to the CDN border and have just installed a dedicated 33" dish for 129 but with no better reception so my question is; will I receive better reception from DTV in my area? Will I need more then one Dish to pick-up all the DTV programming including HD? I get great reception from dish 110/119 will the DTV sat be near the same pointing location? Thanks for your help in advance!

IIRC the problem with 129 is that the E* satellite there just doesn't provide a good signal to the far NW/NE/SW of the continental US. Many folks say a seperate dish fixes the problem but for you I guess not.

For DirecTV their new satellites where all the new HD channels are located are at 99 and 103. The old MPEG2 HD and SD channels from 101/110/119. If you have line of site from 99 to 119 then you should have no problems receiving all their channels with a single dish. You can go here, DIRECTV - Local Channels plug in your zip and see if you can get SD and HD locals via satellite.

Only 1 dish is needed for *everything* with DirecTV, unless you want internationals (at 95) or you are in a very small market and your SD locals come off 72.5 (which will move to the main sats once MPEG2 HD gets shut down).

more help needed

Good info, thanks! I was wondering if someone who lives in my area can reply back with some info regarding DTV HD, good, bad any feedback about signal strength wood be helpful. I live close to Blaine, WA, Thanks

It has been the answer for me. Changed from Dish in October and have not had any signal drops with DTV since. I'm a happy camper! You might want to check the thread Seattle Locals (dish HD thread) in the more recent posts. There are others who live a little closer to you that have had good success with DTV too.

For some reason E* switched this market's locals to 129. Now about half the subscribers in this area can't get them due to our hilly terrain, and many of them are switching to D*.

If a subscriber can get 110 and 119 from E*, he should be good for D* because the two most westerly D* sats are at those locations. The D* arc for all five satellites most people need, including HD, extends from 99 to 119.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)