Is E* cheaper than D*?

The poster asked if DirecTV has a DVR with two tuners - in fact the HR20 has 2 sat tuners and 2 OTA tuners.

If your counting VOOM - than your argument is dead wrong. If you are in a part of the country that is not getting HD locals than it is also dead wrong.

Way more people would rather have HD locals than VOOM.

Time for your RealityCheck I'm afraid.

RealityCheck, let me guess you have Directv.

As far as I'm concerned, picture quality looks like crap on D* and I'm not talking HD, SD is just awful. Too much compression. As far as pricing goes, they are very close. Both satellite companies are so close to even Comcast here in my area.

E

D* does not have a box that feeds two separate TVs independently. D* PQ is lower. And E* has more national HD channels, the ones that count the most.

Thanks For clarifying my question.
My question was if D* had receivers that would run Multiple Tv's. Like the 942, 622, or the new 722.

I don't Care at all about Sports.(I just record the superbowl to watch the commercials). the only channel I really care about is Channel 175 (boomerang) it's the only channel that my kids can watch and me not have to check the guide constantly. I also watch Food Network, Discovery, HD's and my locals. I'll take OTA locals over HD LIL's any day since I have a nice Big OTA and Rotor on top of a 20' Mast connected to a Channel Master Amp (Thanks V*).

So for me E* is Cheaper than D*. (I only supported E* getting MLB EI To keep D* from getting the Exclusive)

E* starter packs are cheaper, Dish Family with 40 family friendly channels is $19.99/mo w/out locals or $24.99 including locals; D* Family is 40 family friendly channels and locals is $29.99/mo, locals are now mandatory with D* if they are available(if not their is a $3/mo discount), locals are still an option on E* eaven where locals are available.
If you want more variety then just family friendly packs, E* is much cheaper because you can get AT100 with over 100 channels for just $29.99/mo w/out locals or $34.99/mo w/locals; D* cheapest pack other then Family or Spanish, is Choice at $49.99/mo including locals, however you get more then 145 channels, but E* offers their AT200 pack with over 200 channels for $42.99/mo or $47.99/mo. E* charges $52.99/mo or $57.99/mo for AT250 with over 250 channels compared to D* Choice Extra at 0nly $54.99/mo, but with only 185+ channels.
If you want HD, at E* add $20/mo to your AT pack of choice for 29 or 30 HD channels now; at D* add $10.99/mo to Choice or $10/mo to Choice Extra for 8 HD channels, more promised by end of the year.
If you want independent satellite channel selection, E* has 2 output STB's, if connected to land line phone line for two outets for the price of one, D* requires a STB for every TV, however if you want mutiple DVR's, D* DVR fee is per account and E* charges per unit.
If acces to NFL-ST and or MLB-EI, go D*, other wise you need to go to both E* and D* web site and check out the details and channel line ups on the above packages and more and decide for yourself which provider provides the best value for you and your family.

E* is much cheaper if you have 4 or more TV"s. You save $5.00 on converter boxes alone. E* offers dual boxes D* doesn't.

True, unless you have multiple HD sets then that price difference goes away since the E*'s 2nd TV outputs are NTSC SD output, not HD. But then again, D* charges only one DVR fee while E* charges per DVR, but both services will waive the fee if you take their top programming package.

To answer on price alone is an incomplete answer as some have pointed out. Overall, it sure seems Dish is somewhat less expensive, not in every case, and I would agree not by alot. But that is not a complete answer.
I can choose to get locals or not, I can see with my own eyes SD is better on Dish, and I like the Dish receivers and program guides better. (At one time I liked Direct TV receivers better) I have the AT250 package and feel it is the best value of any provider if you want most every channel and like movies. We watch the Encore movie pack which is included all the time. In my case I pay no DVR fee as I have all DVR508's - and I realize that is not the case with most/many. I also am also able to get distants (White Area) - I would not be if I had Direct TV. So Dish wins hands down. If not getting MLB allows Dish to continue with these advantages, then I am in no hurry for them to get Extra Innings at such a high cost.

One other thing - Perhaps at this point Extra Innings will have little impact on cost with Direct, do we know that for next year? Direct has a long history of operating in the Red ( I confess I do not know if they do now) while Dish has managed to operate in the Black.

The implication seems to be from some that Charlie just doesn't want Extra Innings because he doesn't care, or that he is "too cheap." I think he looks at mostly from a business standpoint, and also that he won't let progammers run over Dishnetwork just because he is not as big as Direct or Cable. Subscriptions are up - that's the bottom line.

I only am aware of one family - but I'll bet there is more - who would not have anything other than an antenna if not for the low cost of the Family Pack.

Last edited:
This company has been way less forthcoming than directv in putting out information regarding their planned expansion of hd.

I dont know if this is the case but perhaps expanding is so fluid that publicly discussing plans would force them to say things they cant back up. There are quite a few people that say E* does this too much as it is. Should they do it some more for good measure?

What I am thinking is that "if" there is an actual difference. The difference is quite minimal. So to me it just says that E* is manipulating the story of fighting for cheaper prices as a tactic to let subs know that their packages are cheaper than anything in the market when there is a very little difference. All of this whinning about EI and channels makes you re-think the whole idea of being an E* sub because E* just makes it impossible for subs to understand what they are talking about.

I agree 100%. If there was that much difference nobody would sign up for D*
And people always say just switch ,well it's not that easy to just switch when you have so much invested in your current setup with E*.

This company has been way less forthcoming than directv in putting out information regarding their planned expansion of hd.

Maybe E*'s gotten gun shy after their aborted HD plans they announced for the 'Superdish' that never happened.

True, unless you have multiple HD sets then that price difference goes away since the E*'s 2nd TV outputs are NTSC SD output, not HD. But then again, D* charges only one DVR fee while E* charges per DVR, but both services will waive the fee if you take their top programming package.

Amen i have multiple HD tv sets! What it come down to. If you have one tv or even two and want the family pak or some other cheap pak E* is for you! If you only have one HD tv E* is also for you. If you want to watch a variety of channels and want movies Well you better just have one tv or else get ready for fee's and so on. Like i said when D* adds Hd well then here i come.

Don't forget about equipment cost for new customers:

Direct TV HD DVR = 200 bucks

Dish HD DVR = FREE!!!

And its a better machine to boot!!

Jeff

Dish HD DVR = FREE!!!

Jeff
Yea believe me i am not forgetting. Dish existing customer. $699 for 942 $699 for 622 $299 for the opportunity to lease a 622. :rolleyes:
Not counting the dishes and switches. Dish 1000 then dish 1000.2 Then was told to get a bigger dish at low cost.

And doesn't D* require more coax down from the dish? No separators?

For the moment yes, but a number of folks at DBSTalk are testing the new SWM that allows for only one cable, including the ability to add an OTA feed onto it. Hopefully it will be available in a couple months.

Yea believe me i am not forgetting. Dish existing customer. $699 for 942 $699 for 622 $299 for the opportunity to lease a 622. :rolleyes:
Not counting the dishes and switches. Dish 1000 then dish 1000.2 Then was told to get a bigger dish at low cost.

No doubt it pays to be a new subscriber. I am one and paid $0 for 622, $0 for 1000.2, $0 for install and I am getting 200 channels + HBO + HD for a bit over 50 bucks a month for first 10 months. After that it goes up 20. Tell me you can get a better deal with D?

Jeff

No doubt it pays to be a new subscriber. I am one and paid $0 for 622, $0 for 1000.2, $0 for install and I am getting 200 channels + HBO + HD for a bit over 50 bucks a month for first 10 months. After that it goes up 20. Tell me you can get a better deal with D?

Jeff

I can get a better deal with D*! :D

Dish HD DVR = FREE!!!

Jeff

Call them up and they will match. Times change. As a new E* sub in February 2006, E* charged me $299 for the 622 lease. Better machine to you but maybe not to those who have crappy E* HD locals. I'd much rather have two OTA tuners then the option to hook up a second tv over analog composite/rg59. Until E* offers hdmi or component the second output is useless. I record shows in HD to watch them in HD. Not to watch them down converted with the edges cut off.

I record shows in HD to watch them in HD. Not to watch them down converted with the edges cut off.

AMEN someone understands! Like i said if you have a low pak and one tv well maybe two then E* is great! If you want variety then the gap closes shut. Oh and don't dare have HD or more then one tv.

I can get a better deal with D*! :D

I would assume this thread is created to compare the two services from a new subscriber aspect. To that end you cannot get a better deal with D. They charge 200 for an HD DVR that is not as good as the Dish HD DVR (rated by CNET as such) which is free. I can see how you may be a bit bitter though being charged all that $$$$ for things I got for free.

I would assume this thread is created to compare the two services from a new subscriber aspect. To that end you cannot get a better deal with D. They charge 200 for an HD DVR that is not as good as the Dish HD DVR (rated by CNET as such) which is free. I can see how you may be a bit bitter though being charged all that $$$$ for things I got for free.

Honestly i did not realize this was about new customers. Not really bitter about buying equipment. Bitter about fee's and alway not getting channels and always hearing we are doing this for you. Again when i compare my package after equipment D* is still cheaper for me. 200 dollars for a HD DVR!:eek: I'll take four!! One DVR charge per account and all those channels!! Like i keep saying get your HD in order and here i COME! :hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)