Is E* squeezing the bandwidth of the HD channels??

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Nothing has changed that I saw. The bit rates are constantly changing though since it is a stat mux where each channel borrows bandwidth from the "bucket" as it is needed.

Rey

@ your service
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
lately to me the pic looks better especially on espnews hd. travel looks solid too.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I've got some high quality, high bitrate recordings (the Blue Man Group concert) that clocked in at 13Mbps (you can figure this out if you hook up an external hard drive) and it looks great. Then comes along BSG at a miserable 4Mbps.
The size on the external drive of programs from the 7 MPEG2-HD channels will be greater than those of the MPEG4-HD channels, because of the different technology. Make sure you are not "comparing apples and oranges".

I noticed what appeared to be "jpeg" artifact on the non moving Dhd logo.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For some of you guys, if your ice cream falls off your ice cream cone, It's Dish Network's Fault !!

No matter how low you starve a channel of bitrate, it won't effect a "non moving" object. Bitrate is only needed for the CHANGES in the image.

A Still image on Discovery-HD only need 1.5 megabytes ONCE, and thereafter bitrate can be ZERO, and it will look perfect. The bitrate you see on "slate" channels is the audio music...

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
-
For some of you guys, if your ice cream falls off your ice cream cone, It's Dish Network's Fault !!...
I'm just not sold on E* HD PQ being the same! Maybe because I spent 1 month watching only E* HD, and Finally noticed the flaws. I've noticed things on E* I've never thought of in the years of HD with D* ,Somethings going on!
Like I said Micro blocking or some kind of PQ issue. Like the satellies are on their death bed. I've already paid for a service call, they claim this is a normal occurance. Well with some blocking on the screen every 20-30 minutes, I'd say thats not normal. Whats the problem then? I'll be glad to fix it.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I am not seeing blocking on the 61.5 or 110 sats where I get my hd from. My parents use the 129 sat off a dish 1000.2 sat . THey have blocking and dropped signal anytime it rains on the hd channels. ARe you using the 129 sat or 61.5 ?

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I've got some high quality, high bitrate recordings (the Blue Man Group concert) that clocked in at 13Mbps (you can figure this out if you hook up an external hard drive) and it looks great. Then comes along BSG at a miserable 4Mbps. That sucks as does a lot of other "HD" programming.

You can't take the number of bits and divide by the time to get the bit rate. You have to analyze it in real time. The bit rates are high where they need to be and low where it doesn't make a difference.

tinydoughboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I just had a tech leave my house.. Was having a problem with my receiver going off and on.....changed out some pluggs and said that should take care of it.....so I am on the fence if it's my 722. . (which was just replaced) or the wiring. . . . hopefully everything will be fine. . . . . but the quality of some of my channels are alittle better. . . maybe check the wiring at home. . I don't know. . .

TazmanianD

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 12, 2006
The size on the external drive of programs from the 7 MPEG2-HD channels will be greater than those of the MPEG4-HD channels, because of the different technology. Make sure you are not "comparing apples and oranges".
Ah, very good point. I forgot about that. Indeed, the Blue Man Group concert I referred to is from HDNET which I believe is an MPEG2 channel. For whatever reason though, it looks much better than most other HD I watch (except OTA) from Dish. Although maybe it just compresses better because there's so much black in it...who knows.

TazmanianD

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 12, 2006
You can't take the number of bits and divide by the time to get the bit rate. You have to analyze it in real time. The bit rates are high where they need to be and low where it doesn't make a difference.
I don't buy that. A movie with an average bitrate of 5Mbps is most likely going to look better than one with 10Mbps. Of course, the type of movie matters (how much movement there is for example) but the same movie will definitely look better with a higher bitrate. For specific comparisons, the real time bitrate is important, but I still believe the generalization that a higher bitrate means a better picture.

The only weakness I see at looking at the file size is that it might not be accurate if you've got commercials in the show that could have a very different bitrate.

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For some of you guys, if your ice cream falls off your ice cream cone, It's Dish Network's Fault !!

No matter how low you starve a channel of bitrate, it won't effect a "non moving" object. Bitrate is only needed for the CHANGES in the image.

A Still image on Discovery-HD only need 1.5 megabytes ONCE, and thereafter bitrate can be ZERO, and it will look perfect. The bitrate you see on "slate" channels is the audio music...

First: I don't see as though I, or my post, deserved that. I've been hanging around on this site since 2005 & have never once made a complaint post, including the one made in this thread. I was simply posting a personal observation & asking if anyone else had noticed changes other than with eyes.

Second: I've been doing digital video editing for at least 5 years, MPEG1, 2, and MPEG4. If you have the bit rate way too low, yes, you can create a "JPEG" artifact even on static text images, it's the nature of the beast.

Third: Yes, the Dhd logo does not move, however, it is semi-transparent, so there is motion behind it, so yes, there can be distortion around the logo as it transitions from the transparent edges to the oplaque letters, which can, and apparently did, create a jagged JPEG edge.

Fourth: I don't eat ice cream, I prefer popcicles & never once, have I blamed Dish Network for it melting and running all over my hand..... :D

Rey

@ your service
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
61.5 , thats why I called a Tech to come out. He said eveything was fine! He even saw everything I described first hand. $30 for nothing!

i haven't experienced those problems but with 61.5 i have been experiencing slowness with channel changing. when i switch between one channel from one sat to a channel on another sat it takes a little longer than what it used to. especially with 61.5. i have checked everything and it looks fine. don't know if the addition of diplexers has slowed thing down. i don't think so.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
You are correct about the slowness in switching channels on 61.5. I also noticed it. About the PQ, maybe the programs I am watching are getting to borrowed more bitrates from the other channels you guys are watching :D

Miggity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 16, 2007
Portland, OR
I've been a Dish Network HD customer for almost 2 years now and I have really noticed the PQ take a dump the last month or so. I'm on 129 in Portland, OR.

It is NOT as good as it once was. I would prefer to get quality back and lose some channels if that's what it takes.

Is Verizon FIOS still sending signals uncompressed/untouched? I like that. I might need to start looking into that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts