Is FTA available to us here in Alaska?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Our old 14M dish was pointed at Galaxy 12 on C-band and we had 15 with that...sadly the 14M went the way of the dinosaur... It was 30 years old and falling apart..I've attached it's destruction in a short video for you viewing pleasure.. Enjoy!!

That was... depressing. I hope this doesn't give Dee any ideas about how to remove the dishes she has to bring home... ;)

File this video under the heading "Bad things to do to a dish", next to the one of me rolling a Paraclipse down the street at 3:00 a.m. ;) ...

Last edited:
Okay, ya made me look. :)

On Lyngsat, it looks like there is FTA programming and beam coverage for the sats at 137°w and 139w.
You would have to confirm coverage and interesting programming.
The idea of course, would be to use your existing big Ku dish aimed at 129°w.
Not offering any ideas as to how to mount outrigger LNBFs, though. :)

There is also a global-coverage beam on the 177°w bird, but nobody cares. :)

Lyngsat links to coverage maps; those are what I used.

Didn't know what elevation you were shooting 129°, so I didn't look at any birds east of it.

That was... depressing. I hope this doesn't give Dee any ideas about how to remove the dishes she has to bring home... ;)

File this video under the heading "Bad things to do to a dish", next to the one of me rolling a Paraclipse down the street at 3:00 a.m. ;) ...

Ok, Is bad things to do to a dish on a seperate forum? I think I will audio dub in "When your Dish company pisses you off, don't get mad....GET EVEN! :rant:
We use another 2.4 KU band for our internet it's pointed at the "Russian Bird" you were talking about and the downlink is in London, we have a 1.544 pipe for 130 people with 2 gig allowance a week, it's not bad at night but during the day it slows to a painful crawl...
Thanks for all your support and I will let you know when I post the dish destruction vid...

Great post Shemya, thanks for the pics of the install. A monstrous dish, I wonder how much Rain-X it would take to coat it for snow protection, haha.
I don't know where else I would've ever heard of this island, almost like another planet.

We use another 2.4 KU band for our internet it's pointed at the "Russian Bird" you were talking about and the downlink is in London,
we have a 1.544 pipe for 130 people with 2 gig allowance a week,
it's not bad at night but during the day it slows to a painful crawl...
Some years ago, an IT friend installed some kind of cashing server at his bank.
Dont recall the details, but they had been bitching about congestion on their 128k ISDN line.
When the server went online, they added more users, and EVERYone saw much higher performance.
It'd be really cheap to do, and might improve morale. ;)

See, we're about more than just satellites, here.

one thought and it depends on the account setup you have with DIsh The Anchorage locals (10 total) are rebroadcast on Dish. Satellite 119 Big 4 networks + PBS along with KDMD Independent (I think its Ion) KACN (public access type 360north and a subchannel off KYES 5 (My Network)Maybe you can get them that way instead of through the GCI headend right now

Thanks Iceberg for all your knowlege, Ya wish we could see the 119, maybe have to pull down that old water tank in the way!

Does the DishNet bird at 129w deliver any signal to Alaska?

Yes the 129 is the one we are on right now for our dishnetwork feed, turns out you need the 110 to get the recievers thier firmware upgrades so we get them hooked up in Anchorage downloaded and sent back out...it's a struggle to get hits sent out but once they are on they are pretty rock solid

Dish has the anchorage locals on a 110 spotbeam in hd 8psk also, currently fte man_pid entry.
Like Icecube said the 110 is below the horizon here so thats a no-go!

Our old 14M dish was pointed at Galaxy 12 on C-band and we had 15 with that...sadly the 14M went the way of the dinosaur... It was 30 years old and falling apart..I've attached it's destruction in a short video for you viewing pleasure.. Enjoy!!

for the size of that dish an Eskimo or polar bear could live under it (at the beginning a piece falls out...that could be the door)

Yes we get AFN (sailor-net) only 3 channels on our other 4.5M but with 40 Dish network, 5 networks and 9 DVD loop channels were not doing bad for such a small out of the way Island!

Looks like a criminal offense to me. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)