Is FTA possible with this equipment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

patch101

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Kamloops, BC
Trying to get RTP (Portuguese channel) for my parents. Have some equipment given to me. I have 3 different recievers. A Coolsat 5000 Plat, A Sonicview sv-1000, and Hughes (gold ed). I have a starchoice Dish (28x24 I believe). I also have a temp stand to mount the dish. I tried to point it to Galaxy19, I got good signal 75-90 between the sonic and coolsat, but no Zero quality level.

I honestly don't know much about satellite stuff. Its my first peek at it. I don't really understand all of it. The TP codes for one or LNB Freq. I basically played around with the numbers and they seem to change the signal quality, but again no quality at all. A friend of mine told me that the LNB is wrong for the receivers that I have and is going to lend me a dish he has sitting around ..... but he hasn't dabbled in Satelite stuff in years too.

Located in Kamloops, BC, Canada

Last edited:
The receivers. Coolsat and Sonicview, should work. They must be programmed with active transponder info - see TheList and the LO of the LNB in use. Got a model number of your LNB? Also, a dish 28 x 24 is pretty small. Should be at least 30 inches across, minimum, although you might get some of the the strongest of Tp's with it.

Yes, I know its a bit on the smaller side, but I thought I'd test it out with it. Still don't understand why I can't pick up any quality though. I will try that the TP listed though.

The LNB is the one that comes with that Dish. Starchoice, Lnbf 11.7-12.2, LO is 10.75 I think. Model 150284

...I got good signal 75-90 between the sonic and coolsat, but no Zero quality level.
I am now watching RTPI America on Galaxy 19 at 97W and the signal is strong. There is a lot to learn for you. So it's OK to go slow. Realize that zero quality basically means you are not receiving any signal from any satellite. There could be many reasons for this. The signal strength reading you see would be there regardless where you point your dish as long as your LNB is connected (and powered) to your receiver. Even if you have to buy a larger dish new, they are not so expensive. I got my 1-metre dish new for only $69. Everyone here will help you. [I used to live not too far from Kamloops in 100 Mile House!]

Added: Tip: Use the Coolsat, and set the other receivers to the side for now. Coolsat is intuitive and easy-to-use when starting. I speak from experience as I learn on my CS7000. From Kamloops, you need to point your dish at an azimuth of 151 degrees with elevation 27.8 degrees to receive the 97W satellite with RTPI.

Last edited:
The TP is frequency 12060, symbol rate 22,000, and polarity is Horizontal for RTP International. I'm also getting that channel right now in Ohio with my 30" dish. Check dispointer.com with your address, zoom in on your house and choose Galaxy 19 to get an idea of where to point the dish and what elevation angle you need. I use an LNB that lights green when it's pointed at the correct TP. It's called the Easyfind LNB and it works in combination with the Traxis DBS4000 receiver.

Be sure your settings on the receiver are correct and that they match the type of LNB or else it won't show any signal.

The LNB is the one that comes with that Dish. Starchoice, Lnbf 11.7-12.2, LO is 10.75 I think. Model 150284

The LNB will work fine as it is linear (like what free to air uses).

On the Coolsat 5000 (I have the same model) here is how to set up the receiver

select the 97W satellite in the dish menu (menu, antenna setup, dish setup)...it will say 97.0W (might be under IA5, T5, G19 or something else)
make sure it says "SINGLE" for type and LNB Frequency should be 10750

Back out (exit) and go to manual scan
Make sure you are on the following transponder
12060 frequency
H polarity
22000 symbol rate

also make sure the LNB is skewed. This is critical otherwise you'll have as much hair as I do trying to aim the dish

-20. Check the LNB for markings on top of it that show 20-----0-----20 or something like that.
If standing in front of the dish facing it turn the LNB clockwise so the coax connector is to the left (like 7:00 on a clock)

Thanks so much guys. I was able to get it to work. My problem was line of sight. I am using a temp stand, and the house in front blocks just enough
of the signal. Went down the valley to my father in laws place and I was able to get 65% (not bad for a pcv stand hanging out on the back of a truck bed)
and RTPI was the first thing that showed up on the coolsat. Although I did have some trouble getting it to 12060 ... I got it on 12053. When I tried to manually
go to 12060 the freq would go to 0.0 and I couldnt figure out how to edit it. Im guessing though that my quality would go up if I hit it right?

Another question, looking at lyngsat. Noticing RTP is available on more than one Sat. How do I tell what is available on Ku band vs C Band?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now

...Noticing RTP is available on more than one Sat...
Telstar 12 at 15W has a Portuguese language broadcasting to Angola (TPAI) and another to Brazil (TV Pampa) on Ku band but that satellite is below your horizon and impossible for you to receive. Probably other stations broadcasting to Brazil (if any) may also be impossible for you to receive since their footprints would be too far south for you. You may need to turn to Internet broadcasters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts