Is going from a 722 to a 612 an Upgrade?

vdog16

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Washington DC
I have a 722 that I would like to trade in for a 612. The CSR told me it would be a $200 upgrade fee. That doesn't seem right to me. Is this correct? I also want to get an additional solo HD box.

My current setup: 722 622

My desired setup: 622 (current) 612 (new) 211k (new)

Basically I want to go from 2 HD TVs to 3. Any ideas as to the upfront cost for this switch as well as the monthly price increase?

I would consider it a downgrade.

The question I need to ask is just how you will be using the 3 TVs. How often, if ever, will all 3 be used at the same time? If your answer is seldom or never, then you can configure what you have to solve your problem. You would have to run one in Single mode, but you can run an HDMI cable from either the 722 or 622 to your 3rd HDTV, or with the right splitters/switches make both the 722 or 622 available for HD to the 3rd TV.

The only advantage to a 612 is $7.00 less a month receiver fee because it is considered a single DVR. For $200, you'd be nuts to to it. You can buy a 211 for around $100.00 The 211 would have a $7.00 monthly fee.

Thanks, I also consider going from a 722 to a 612 a downgrade. I explained this to the CSR and she told me the $200 covers the cost of them having to purchase a new box. I don't really buy that explanation, but whatever.

She also said that fee is waived sometimes depending on how long you've been with E*. I've been with them over 5 years, that's not long enough I guess.

I would be using two TVs (each with a DVR) often. The third TV would be used occasionally, maybe once a week. The problem is, it's on the other side of the house, in the basement, about as far away from the closest TV as it could possibly be. It would be a pretty long HDMI run.

I will not pay $200 to go from a 722 to a 612.

There are many here who believe the 612 is sub-par for dependability.

Thanks, I also consider going from a 722 to a 612 a downgrade. I explained this to the CSR and she told me the $200 covers the cost of them having to purchase a new box. I don't really buy that explanation, but whatever.

She also said that fee is waived sometimes depending on how long you've been with E*. I've been with them over 5 years, that's not long enough I guess.

I would be using two TVs (each with a DVR) often. The third TV would be used occasionally, maybe once a week. The problem is, it's on the other side of the house, in the basement, about as far away from the closest TV as it could possibly be. It would be a pretty long HDMI run.

I don't buy the $200 either. If your HDMI run is 50' or less it would be no problem. Someone with longer than that could tell you the effectiveness. It also would depend on installation difficulty for the cable. I have a 35' run and it works perfectly without any amplification. I had it split for a while and used a power splitter and still no problem.

If the 3rd tv is 32" or less, the SD really wouldn't be that bad on it, in fact it's actually pretty good even zoomed.

If it the length of the HDMI run and not the difficulty of installing it that concerns you for FWIW I have a 75' HDMI cable running off of a splitter going to a second HDTV feed off of my 722K for mirrored programing. Got the slitter and cable from Monoprice.com and have never had issues. From memory the splitter ( 1 to 4) was around $80 and the cable was aroung $50 - 60. Use a second RF remote from the secont location with no issue. These are not locations were I need a feed becasue for the most part they are nver used at the same time.

If you are going to 3 recs anyway, I would just buy a 211k (not a 211) They are available new for under $100. You can also turn it into a DVR later if you want.

612s are buggy at best, doorstops at worst. So is the 622, but that has been pretty well documented in the forums as well

If you go from a 922 to a 311 with dish it up, it is still considered an upgrade because you are getting a different receiver. Dish it up doesn't compare the receivers, just the fact you change them.

And you shouldn't you can buy a new one on EBay for$250.:)

DISHNETWORK VIP 722K 722 HD-DVR BEST PRICE ON EBAY!!! - eBay (item 270629119914 end time Sep-06-10 19:56:58 PDT)

I concur. During my days as a tech I picked up more 612's than any other model.
The model 612 is an issue laden boat anchor.

I have not, but have read many reports of people having good luck with a 211K and an external hard drive that turns it into a DVR. Cheaper alternative if you only need it for one TV.

I have not, but have read many reports of people having good luck with a 211K and an external hard drive that turns it into a DVR. Cheaper alternative if you only need it for one TV.

Can you still record 2 sat and 1 OTA tuner at the same time with a 211k?

And I just hate having to pay them ANOTHER $40 for EHD recording.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)