Is HD news on the way out?

pmalve

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
I received a call from a survey company last night about Voom HD news. Wanted to know if I watched it , how often, would I care if some shots were SD etc. Sounds like they are trying to see if it is worth it. If they cancel it they could save some salary's by letting anchors go. Probobly cheaper to have another movie channel or something where they didn't need any on screen people. As much as I like the news in HD I don't think they can compete with CNN,Fox or MSNBC. Now tht conventions are over ther isn't much reason to turn it on imo.

I Very Much Like HD News But I Agree That If It Saves Money The Channel Is Really Not Necessary. It's Great Eye Candy PR But Not Necessary.

Rather than cancelling, it sounds like they were wondering if people care about SD shots. I hope they only keep it HD.
BTW, I watch the HDNews headlines every day for a couple of minutes. IMO, the Sports highlights alone are much better than ESPN Sport Center since they only show HD content from pretty much every HD channel inc. ABC, NBC, ESPN, FSN's, inHD, HDNet, ect.

I like it, I cehck out its news almost everyday. They obviously can't compete with MSNBC, CNN etc in terms of interviews, discussions or correspondents but if they switch back this to SD, they'll lost their biggest advantage: it's HD!

BTW I think if they'll strenghten their political/campaign news with more detailed summaries, it could be even more than tempting, it could even beat the CNN Headline News...

I hope Voom is reading.

I put on HD News every morning while I get ready for work, and usually watch it at least a little bit every evening. I am always impressed with it and amazed that Voom has these people out there working on news everyday. I like it.

--Dan

I like watching HDNews. I noticed some new field reporters in the past few weeks. They even had a crew down in Florida covering Hurricane Ivan. Their sports highlights in HD are awesome, but showing only HD really limits their coverage.

I turn on HDNews every time I turn on TV. I always give it a first shot. But I seldom see anything compelling after a minute or two of headlines. I love the HD quality and keep hoping they will have something interesting. I loved their convention coverage.

Why can't they keep it HD and broaden it to include commentary and guests??

I think the problem is it must be pretty expensive to do. Isn't news the money loser for all the networks? I don't want more commentary though. Watch fox if you want opinions. Give me more reporting.

I check HD News first thing every morning because I know they will give me a quick run-down on world news, national news & weather, stocks & ball scores. CNN takes too long to do this and runs many commercials. Then there are the personalities who simply vent their point of view. CNN news used to be quick & simple. Now there is too much padding and gossip. I hope HD News continues with the anchors as it is.

HDnews is NOT going anywhere, I had a long talk with the folks froom VOOM who believe HDnews is their best looking channel, infact its the one they use to demo most. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
HDnews is NOT going anywhere, I had a long talk with the folks froom VOOM who believe HDnews is their best looking channel, infact its the one they use to demo most. :)

Good News. I really do like that channel.

I just took the long survey. My impression is that they are trying to see how it has been accepted by customers and whether it is as important to improve it more with more news coverage or other programming as well.

I wouldn't mind viewing complete national news at 6 and 11pm; 30 minute shows with headline stories and a detailed sports review. The morning news could be a combination of early morning world news, stock futures, and sports roundup from the previous night...could be replayed all morning.

I would also like to see the 12 minute news segments increased a minute or two (add more sports footage) and update some of the snippets more frequently.

Oh, and perhaps some "Live Breaking News" would be nice. Heck, they can call it "VOOM Live DOOM" and make the VOOM pundits and trolls happy.

...and how about a special late-night news show featuring naked news babettes. It could be called HDNewds. :shocked I made myself laugh! :haha I think I will copyright this paragraph and patent HDNewds!!!

The main problem with HDN is looking context.

Yeah HDNEws is worth expanding, I love the INHD/ABC/CBS/ESPN sports shots, not even ESPn bothers to make sure everything is in HD. I hope HDNews can grow to the point of airing more HD clips, like of Hurricane Ivan and Frances when they came threw in HD would be impressive. It's sad but Voom beat these big dawgs to the HD punch, IMO Voom can expand upon it.

How can they be talking about killing HDNews when they still go Moov on with the swirly lines and the fish tanks, they are ok once in a while but damn a whole screensaver channel? What about Auction? Can they poll Voomers how ofter they watch Moov/Auction/999?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)