Is hd programming worth the cost?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Ive been watching the slow progress of hd tv over the last few years and feel that the hd programming thats out there right now doesnt justify the cost to get it on a pay service or even over and ota source. To me it almost seems like whats carrying hd right now is the " everybodies doing it " mentality. Aside from 2 or 3 channels that provide %60 of true hd programming on average I dont think that its worth the cost yet to buy an hd set as well as the cost for the pay services, what do the rest of you think?

Hd

It depends what you like to watch. I only subscribe to the HD package on Dish so I can watch HD movies on HDNet Movies and TNT-HD, and football in HD(On ESPN-HD and OTA). I watch HD on my projector with a 106" screen. I used to be a member of Blockbuster Online DVD rentals, but I cancelled and got the HD package instead. It's definitely worth it to me. I pay $14.99 per month for the HD package, $5 lease fee for 811, and $5 access fee(for not having AT60 or above). It normally would be $19.99 per month, but when I switched they told me I would get the HD package for $5 per month for 1 year(I was pleasantly surprised). My other TV is a 32" analog set that my wife and kids watch.

If you can not see the difference or do not care about the PQ of HD vs. SD then it is not worth it to you regardless of cost.
For those who like the better PQ for sports, movies etc then it is worth it to them to pay the extra cost.
It's you choice. Go with your choice, the opinion of others should not matter.

JimMcC said:
It depends what you like to watch. I only subscribe to the HD package on Dish so I can watch HD movies on HDNet Movies and TNT-HD, and football in HD(On ESPN-HD and OTA). I watch HD on my projector with a 106" screen. ...... It's definitely worth it to me. I pay $14.99 per month for the HD package, $5 lease fee for 811, and $5 access fee(for not having AT60 or above).

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, CSR told me on Oct 31 that I could not do it on my 811 lease. The written contract I have won't let me downgrade to no AT package.

Without the locals in HD, it wouldn't be worth it for me, but college football, NFL, CSI, NOVA... Yeah, that's why I have 2 HD sets. ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, Discovery HD... aw hell, I like lots of HD. If VOOM ever gets their act together, I'll get that too.

Van said:
Ive been watching the slow progress of hd tv over the last few years and feel that the hd programming thats out there right now doesnt justify the cost to get it on a pay service or even over and ota source. To me it almost seems like whats carrying hd right now is the " everybodies doing it " mentality. Aside from 2 or 3 channels that provide %60 of true hd programming on average I dont think that its worth the cost yet to buy an hd set as well as the cost for the pay services, what do the rest of you think?

This is an easy one. Let's equate it to other modern advances.
Walk or ride a bicyle
ride a bike or drive a car
drive a car from NY to LA or fly a plane
write a letter or send an e-mail
kerosine lamp or electricity
SD signal or HD signal

With more than 20 HD channels available (OTA, HD Pak, VOOM) I would have to say 98% of ALL my viewing is HD. After watching HD, trying to watch SD is like trying to watch tv on an old B&W Zenith set......pretty dated.

HD is the only way to go........come on in and join the fun!
Robert

If you don't find the programming that is currently available in HDTV enough for you, then you are correct in holding off. Just keep your eyes open and in a few years when the programming that you enjoy is available in HD, then you can reconsider. Plus it will be less expensive then.

It all depends on what you like to watch. For me, it's worth it for the FEW times that ESPH-HD actuall shows something in HD. Sunday night football (actually any football) is awesome in HD. Hockey on HD-Net is great too. You can actually see the puck! I also enjoy many of the nature shows on Discovery HD :)

Van said:
Ive been watching the slow progress of hd tv over the last few years and feel that the hd programming thats out there right now doesnt justify the cost to get it on a pay service or even over and ota source.
HD should have been fully adopted by now. The reason it has been so slow is known as the "Chicken and Egg dispute. Customers are reluctant to buy HD set because of the expense and limited HD programming, while broadcasters are slow to advance because of expense and limited viewers. Both sides need to open their wallets more. I remember when color TVs became available to the public it was the same story but now even third world nations have color TVs.
With prices going down and more people joining the bandwagon, HD will become main stream. Trust me when you go to your friend's house and witness Hi Def you'll want it too. It the best way to enjoy movies and sports events. Also digital OTA broadcast offer perfect reception compared to analog.

Van said:

If cost is a concern, wait since the prices are coming down on sets.

If you can get OTA HD then, IMHO, it's not worth paying for it from E* or D*.

If you can't get OTA then get the HD pack from E*. (I wouldn't waste $$ on the Voom pack)

I bought a HD television (55" Mitsubishi RPTV) about two years ago. I then bought a 811 and got the HD package and put up a OTA antenna. I then got the voom package the day it came out. If you are interested in getting HD my opinion would be to go for it because that interest now will become a addiction after you start watching all the HD channels available. You'll catch yourself watching shows you would have never even watched just because they are in HD!! Also if you are going to spend the money on a hd set and a hd satellite receiver make sure you set up a OTA antenna and preamp. Thats where your best HD picture quality and viewing content (Primetime shows, Sports, and sometimes good movies) is located.

JH1949 said:
Thanks for the info !

Currently leasing an 811. Have had Voom HD for last 2 years. Will attempt to receive HD locals from 65 miles away on a Winegard HD9095P with preamp. If succeed, then will change to the subscription you describe above.

Then enjoy the HD experience and wait for the 962.
Dish will ask for the leased 811 back if you do not keep at least AT60, I think. You can have Voom under the HD pack without an AT sub and thus about $20/month but you would need your own receiver.
-Ken

I think that what Im looking at is the overal cost to get a few channels in hd from a provider and to buy a television or projector. Dont get me wrong I do like the picture quality that a good hd set provides such as sony and a projector provides such as a runco. But as much as I am a fan of discovery and its hd channel and am interested in hdnet and show time hd ( hbo the king of repeats ) but the programming is not always hd quality. I know they can upconvert to hd but thats like drinking another beer to make the ugly woman at the bar look a little better, one of the stations had the nutty professor on today and it was clear but not filmed in hd clear.

I'd like to have an hd set and probably will get one next year but only if more programming is offered in hd wich hopefully mpeg4 will bring about but I wont hold my breath.

Hd

JH1949, yes you can get the HD package without the AT60, along with a leased 811. I cancelled my AT60 a few weeks ago(I lease an 811) and there was no problem. I just have to pay a $5 access fee each month for not having at least the AT60. I pay $4.99 per month for HD package(12 month special), $5 per month access fee, and $5 lease fee, for a total of $14.99 per month.

JimMcC said:
JH1949, yes you can get the HD package without the AT60, along with a leased 811. I cancelled my AT60 a few weeks ago(I lease an 811) and there was no problem. I just have to pay a $5 access fee each month for not having at least the AT60. I pay $4.99 per month for HD package(12 month special), $5 per month access fee, and $5 lease fee, for a total of $14.99 per month.

JimMcC HELP !

My Dish Network Digital Home Advantage was started as a first time user on 5-1-2005. The contract says:

(1) "a minimum programming package of AT60 ... is required at all times"
(2) "all equipment provided to you ... return within 15 days of ... downgrade"

My questions are:
(a) Were you on the same kind of contract ?
(b) How did you cancel AT60 and not have to return your equipment ?

I don't know what to tell you. I just called on the phone and told them I wanted to cancel the AT60. I also own an 811, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. My lease did start before your's though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts