Is HD radio dead?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hmmm, 3-4 years now

Well, I heard about the HD radio about 4 years ago. Back when they first started talking about it. Heck before I think even they had sat radio. They said how now you could get weather, titles of songs, etc, etc on the display, emergancy reports, and even advertisments on the display. I thought the display was cool being now I could see what the song name was or who the artist was. In case I missed them anounce it.

Then it stopped. I heard mostly nothing. Just nothing. Looked aroud for receivers and nothing. Then every once in a while I heard something about it like now. You guys are talking about it.

I figured in order for it to work. You would just go out and purchase a new car or sterio receiver or when my Sony cd player in my truck dies. The next time I would purchase would be HD audio Just built in as a standard. (In fact I think they was trying to figure out a standard for a while) Well, Nope. So until they do that. I won't be listening to it anytime soon.

I also thought that XM and Sirus was HD radio at first. Hi quality and better signals. Then quickly afterwords found out it wasn't. I also said who would pay for that when HD radio was around the corner for free.

Was I wrong about pay sat music. Though, the last thing I heard both of them wasn't make good enough money. Also didn't they merge? I have never updated myself on that yet either. LOL

Later,

Josh

I recently got a JVC car radio that has HD radio built into the unit. Where I live in California I get bad reception from most all the LA based stations. So the HD Radio feature is not the greatest thing in the world for me when I am at home, I mostly use my JVC ipod connection. I do use this car alot to drive back and forth from Californina to Salt Lake City, Utah and I am very surprised at the amount of HD stations in the Salt Lake area. HD Radio works very good for me in that area and it's a nice feature built into this particular head unit, I don't think I would buy an HD Radio receiver though if it was seperate from the radio like most of them I see are. I just don't get good enough reception in my area to warrent it, but it does sound great when you're in a good area.

I was one of the people suckered into the HD Radio bandwagon. Here in Wichita, KS (primarily owned by Journal Broadcasting and Clear Channel) it is being pushed heavily still. Most of the stations that touted they were broadcasting in their HD studios, well, never had their HD stations online. A quick e-mail to the station manager and it would magically appear back online. Anyway I kept the radio for about three days and then I smiled as I got my money back from Best Buy. I'll stick with Sirius... at least it works when I drive a mile out of town.

I wrote up a full 'review' of the KD-HDR1 receiver from JVC and my experiences with it if anyone wants to read...
aspiredillusion.com :: HDRadio

Kelly

Can you say AM Stereo, quadraphonic, and HD radio in the same sentence that does not include a waste of money or doomed technologies?

HD radio dead, HA! I'll take all your HD radios , 40+ HD ch in my area, Crystal clear am in HD , when main station all go to commercial , just toggle to station 2 or 3 to listen to music,sports,news,etc! The only thing Dead about HD radio is the Advertisement for ( or lack there of) it , I'm sure it has nothing to do with Sirus or XM :rolleyes: !

Every once in a while I will hear something but I don't listen to FM anymore. Haven't listened since I got my Sirius almost 2 yrs ago. I don't even see the radios pushed in the stores anymore.

I have to say HD Radio is pointless, its the quatlity you would get when you play CDS?? At least with the HDTV you get quality that you cant get anywhere, the last time I checked you cant buy Sports in HD, but you can buy a 15 dollar CD that will sound the same. IMO

Sony recently released an HD module that fits many Sony car radios. I noticed 3 newly HD stations where I live and when I drove from LA to San Diego a few months ago many of the stations were in HD.

I don't think HD is dead but it might be if they don't get into more factory radios. Most people keep the factory radio that comes with the car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)