is inclinometer accurate?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

icu1954

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
lower alabama
hi,i was wondering if an inclinometer is more accurate than the elevation scale on the dish mount,i was comparing the elevation from one to the other.I put the meter on the lnb mounting arm and compared the elevation with the scale on the mount and they were just a few degrees from being the same,so would i need to put my faith in the inclinometer or the scale on the pole mount?

I use a homemade inclinometer mostly for checking LOS issues: will I be able to see my bird over the tree line. LAK7 is correct, nothing beats results: look angles and elevation scales might get you close, but [IMO], hard to beat a rx and tv on site to find, lock, and tweak that bird.
ss

The angle on the LNB arm is seldom if ever the same angle as to the actual elevation of the dish. If you are installing the exact same model time and time again and knew that that the arm level reads -6 degrees (for instance) from the the actual elevation - then the inclinometer would be better to use then the scale on the dish.
Bob

icu1954 said:
hi,i was wondering if an inclinometer is more accurate than the elevation scale on the dish mount,i was comparing the elevation from one to the other.I put the meter on the lnb mounting arm and compared the elevation with the scale on the mount and they were just a few degrees from being the same,so would i need to put my faith in the inclinometer or the scale on the pole mount?

The LNBF arm angle usually is not the same angle as the actual elevation angle. The dish is an offset design and if you know the dish offset angle of the dish, you could add that angle to the reflector angle (an inclinometer vertical straight edge placed on the dish edge/rim) to determine the actual look angle that the dish is aimed at.

Once you have the dish elevation set, you could place an inclinometer on the LNBF support arm and determine the offset angle of the arm to calculate for future dish aiming sessions.

Edit: Wescopc beat me to the post! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)