Is it finally safe to Upgrade to the H3 / Joey 2 from VIP722K's?

16 tuners, 0 conflicts scheduling, all shows complete so not missing a minute or 2 in the start or end.
switch if you want, dont if you dont. the 722k reboots also,

not much else to say about it, 4 pages should be enough.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Very true that the VIP722K does cut off Recordings at the beginning and/or the end of shows.

But, from what I have read the Hopper3 doesn't just lock up and need to be rebooted like the VIP722K does sometimes, it Reboots during viewing, recording and channel changes.

Anyway, once upgraded I can't change back so I am looking for some other voices to help me decide.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Does it matter to you that a little red light comes on when recording? You have that on the ViP series. There is no such light on the H3.

Minor issue, I know.

I have a 922 that looks like a freaking spaceship with all the lights blue green yellow red all at the same time . With a hopper 3 and 16 tuners I don't think you need a red light for recording.You could put a little red sticker on the corner to make you feel better.

Does it matter to you that a little red light comes on when recording? You have that on the ViP series. There is no such light on the H3.

Minor issue, I know.

I don't mind the light at all. It confirms that things are working as they should.

Although with a Hopper 3 and 16 Tuners in a household of even two or three people, you would not know what is recording anyway.

They actually make tinted decals to mute the brightness of consumer electronics lights.

To each his own. Had my Hopper 3 since June, wouldn't want to go back to a 722 (and my 722 was a really good, reliable box). In my case the only problems are App problems, no reboots, no EHD problems. 16 tuners, PIP, PTAT, multiview, all good stuff. Don't need any more lights, don't care about 4x.

To each his own. Had my Hopper 3 since June, wouldn't want to go back to a 722 (and my 722 was a really good, reliable box). In my case the only problems are App problems, no reboots, no EHD problems. 16 tuners, PIP, PTAT, multiview, all good stuff. Don't need any more lights, don't care about 4x.

What are your App problems?

Often when I try to start a show on Netflix, buffers to 99%, never starts. Happened last night. Power button reset fixes it, but will occur again in a few days. Have fast internet & my TV Netflix app works fine, it's a Hopper 3 problem.

Pandora occasionally has HDMI problems.

In scouring many of the other threads here, I see that involuntary rebooting (not intentional manual rebooting) seems to be a prevalent theme on both the Hopper 3 and using the Joey 2 is seemingly caused by a variety of common User Behaviors.

...and yet I've had an H3 since it came out, and I've had "involuntary rebooting" maybe twice. No more or less "prevalent" than any prior Hopper, or ViP that I had before them.

At this point, it just seems like you are trying to find any conceivable reason NOT to get an H3. You can find enough "evidence" on the Internet to talk yourself into ANY piece of electronics being a piece of junk, bad decision, or potential headache. Everyone comes out to complain on the occasions when something goes wrong...and what piece of electronics isn't going to go wrong at least occasionally? How many folks get on the Internet daily to proclaim, "Hey, my _______ performed flawless today...did exactly what I wanted it to!" ;)

If you really want an H3 and think you'll find the new features it has to offer useful, go get one and stop all the worrying. :D

...and yet I've had an H3 since it came out, and I've had "involuntary rebooting" maybe twice. No more or less "prevalent" than any prior Hopper, or ViP that I had before them.

At this point, it just seems like you are trying to find any conceivable reason NOT to get an H3. You can find enough "evidence" on the Internet to talk yourself into ANY piece of electronics being a piece of junk, bad decision, or potential headache. Everyone comes out to complain on the occasions when something goes wrong...and what piece of electronics isn't going to go wrong at least occasionally? How many folks get on the Internet daily to proclaim, "Hey, my _______ performed flawless today...did exactly what I wanted it to!" ;)

If you really want an H3 and think you'll find the new features it has to offer useful, go get one and stop all the worrying. :D

That sums it up pretty well.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a lot more problems with my desktop computer and my wife's laptop computer than I have ever had with any Dish receiver. All computers are junk and receivers are computers.
Dish does not do any worse than Microsoft.

You can't really compare a personal computer with a closed-access, dedicated device like a satellite receiver. Yes, they both have a processor, memory, storage (optional), etc, but the comparison end there almost. A computer allows outside programs to be installed and 3rd party hardware with software drivers to be installed. Those two things alone can introduce all sorts of problems that a dedicated hardware device didn't have to deal with.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)