Is it just me or do other experience Olympics Pixelation?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nupe009

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I know that there is a lot of action at the Olympics but I was hoping that the action would not be pixelated. I noticed it while I was watching diving the other day and I've noticed it while watching several other events. I get NBC over the air and the OTA strength is 97 so I figure that I have a good signal. Is anyone else seeing this? I would also like to know if those watching the Olypmics on 321 have this problem.

I have noticed this OTA from Chicago's NBC affiliate. But I only really see it during the swimming closeups when they are splashing a lot in the water. The water pixellates quite a bit. Everything else seems pretty good.

is this a voom box issue? i noticed it with the swimming, expecially when there was alot of splashing. i'll hook up my MyHD card up again to see any differences. no mention at avsforum either

Same here in Atlanta. Close up action is pixilating. Its the OTA affiliate, btw. It seems to be getting better though as the games progress.

Has anyone noticed that when the picture is zoomed in alot, that the picture is a bit "darker" than a wide angle shot?

mukaidaf said:
is this a voom box issue? i noticed it with the swimming, expecially when there was alot of splashing. i'll hook up my MyHD card up again to see any differences. no mention at avsforum either

Do not think so. Others (non-voomers) at AVSforum have reported the same. It is the same with my 6000u as well. It is more a problem with the affiliate and something to do with the convertion from Europan HDTV standards to US HDTV standards.

I figured it was just a case of my local NBC affiliate having a subchannel for the local news, and not enough bandwidth, thus the pixilation. I with MPEG4 or WM9 was part of the over the air standard instead of MPEG2, then I don't think we would see much pixilation.

I've watched it from Dish and OTA and both pictures are sub-par. There's a huge discussion on PQ issues at AVSForum about how NBC has really dropped the ball on this one.

I see a lot of pixelation on moving objects (i.e. athletes) watching NBC HD on my local NBC affiliate. They have the SD feed on another subchannel, which explains at least part of the problem. I'm not eligible for ch. 321 so I can't compare.

Trust me, it's just a tad better from DishHD than my OTA, which also has a subchannel that is not even viewing quality on a 27" analog TV. The swimming events are a joke in HD, the water is nothing but a mass of pixelated goo.

DarrellP You Must Have An LCD Based Projector. I Have 2 DLP Prpjectors & One LCD Projector & The DLP's Don't Show A Fraction Of The Pixelation.
Also D*'s NBCHD Feed Is A Tad Better Then KGW (NBC) HD Feed. They Have Really Let The Second Channel Go. If I Want To Watch SD NBC I Have To Use The Analog Feed.

I see it on my 27" analog TV as well. I've compared my LCD with a DLP from work and pixelation has nothing to do with the display.

It Must Have At Least Something To Do With It Because I Could Tell You Had An LCD Based System.
LCD Based Tend To Make A Sharper Image, Showing More Screen Door Effect, Potential For Vertical Striping & Potential For More Noticeable Pixelation.
The Only Real Drawbacks For DLP Systems, Some People Suffer From Rainbow Effect & That They Are Not As Sharp As LCD Based.

How come I see the same pixelation everyone here is talking about with my RPTV? This looks like low b/w video stream problem, or low light filming issues. Here in Miami I have more pixelation, frame drops, and low sound from the OTA NBC Station (WTVJ) than I do Voom's 321, but you still see pixelation problems from time to time. The common most noticeable time this happens is zoomed in on a swimmer or at the end of a dive, where instead of seeing millions of shimmering drops of water in the air, you get squares.

It Is A Bandwith Issue.
The Problem Here Is People Making Generalized Statements About Something When All Our Displays Are Different & Each Display Has Different Issues.
LCD, DLP, CRT(Direct View or RPTV) & Plasma (EDTV & HD) All Show Potential Pixelation Differently.

wbuffetta said:
It Must Have At Least Something To Do With It Because I Could Tell You Had An LCD Based System.
LCD Based Tend To Make A Sharper Image, Showing More Screen Door Effect, Potential For Vertical Striping & Potential For More Noticeable Pixelation.
The Only Real Drawbacks For DLP Systems, Some People Suffer From Rainbow Effect & That They Are Not As Sharp As LCD Based.
I agree with the rainbow & Vertical striping, but I have not seen more pixelation due to my pj being LCD based. It only happens with channels that are bandwidth starved, I never see it on a DVD or a 720P source or from my JVC DTheater tapes. There is a phenomenon with LCD where the image seems to "tear" a bit with some horizontal movement, maybe that is what appears as pixelation to you? This can happen with any source & I happen to notice it more with 480i animated sources than anything else.

The Funny Thing About Vertical Striping. On My LCD Proj. & VOOM I Get Vertical Striping On World Sports (Soccer/Euro. Football) & Rush. I Don't Get Any Noticeable Vertical Striping From DVDs Or Directv HD Channels.
I Think It May Be A Bandwidth Issue But I'm Not Sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts