Is it just me this morn, or are the HD CHANNELS CLEARER

ne1cool

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
My channels got clearer this morning, so they treaked SOMETHING late last night or early this morn!

Anyone else noticing?

I MAY have spoke to soon, cause it just looked like it got a little worse again.

Maybe they are tweaking as we speak!

Anyone else reading this right now, please post if you are experiencing anything better?

Thanx

I'm watching Seven Years in Tibet on TMC-HD. Looks very good to me, but I make no claims at being a PQ expert. I also though The Food of the Gods on GuyTV was excellent this morning.

My channels are clearer today also but they still seem to be soft looking. When i play OTA channel that are 1080i they look much better then Voom's stations. Monsters HD doesn't look as good as it did a week ago on my TV. I am not very happy with Voom's over all PQ.

I'm watching "SpaceJam" on HBO right now, and the pixelation is horible - but mainly limited to the quickly moving images, the faster the movement the worse it is... I'm not expert on video formats, but from what I understand the pixelation is coming from to much compression... Which says to me that we may just be stuck with this, especially if they are going to add 70 more HD channels along with another 200 SD channels - hopefully I'm wrong and they just need to tweak it a lot more, at the same time, commonsince says that you can only to so much with what you have :(

Even with the pixelation - I'm staying till the end :)

I hope I am not flamed for this but what makes anyone think they are tweaking anything right now. With all thats happening for example pink slips, and James Dolan insisting on closing VOOM (which I beg doesn't). Why would you think anything more involved than changing over to the Harmonic encoders would be taking place internally right now. Place yourself in the company, they are told to pack it in, look for new jobs and closed the web site, stopped taking new orders. I'm just looking to see why you would believe that extra mile is taking place in a sinking ship.

goingup said:
I hope I am not flamed for this but what makes anyone think they are tweaking anything right now. With all thats happening for example pink slips, and James Dolan insisting on closing VOOM (which I beg doesn't). Why would you think anything more involved than changing over to the Harmonic encoders would be taking place internally right now. Place yourself in the company, they are told to pack it in, look for new jobs and closed the web site, stopped taking new orders. I'm just looking to see why you would believe that extra mile is taking place in a sinking ship.
Sean Mota has posted that tweaking is being done. That's good enough for me.

Taking new orders.

goingup said:

I've seen several posts in the past 24 hours stating that when talking to VOOM CSRs the callers were told that orders are still being taken and TYORK says she has 5(?) VOOM installs for this coming week. So, I'm not sure where your "stopped taking new orders" comes from.

However, out here in Seattle we're still enjoying HDTV under increasingly cloudy skies, Gill

Only problems I have noticed is UHD looks very soft and blocky. TNT-HD isn't great either, but its just TNT-HD. heh.

-John

Less resolution (soft) and blocky across the board.

The compression appears to center around the assignment of blocks.

Pixels within the blocks are less numerous (larger) during motion sequences and then settle down with stagnate image.

The blocks are organized to makeup the entire screen. Thus providing the illusion of greater stability when in fact it makes viewing on an HD monitor even worse than before.

I don't like it.