Is it just me?

jerastan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2005
...... or are the d/n csr's a bunch of jerks! i was a voomer and signed up for dish the morning of the big announcment. upon ordering i was told that i would continue to recieve all of the locals i had as long as i didn't mess w/ the winegaurd ota. i totally forgot to check them while the "installer" was at my house. (i know, i know..) i now have 1, not 10, 1 local station. i called the csr "tech" folks and got nothing but......... "we don't support ota." i told him what i was told by a csr prior to signing up and again, "we don't support ota." WTF!!!!! i've been reading that i should run a direct line from the winegaurd to my 942, so i know it can be fixed, but damn! shouldn't they work w/ you at least a little bit? the one thing the idiot could spew out was that my old voom stb had the best ota tuner ever, and the 942 ota receiver was horrid. nice. real nice.... glad i paid for it. :rolleyes:

oh yeah, just venting.

The installer connected my outdoor Squareshooter to a diplexor and setup everything with my OTA channels.

My 942 is getting every OTA channel available in the Miami area plus I am able to get some of the West Palm Beach OTA channels. I disagree with the CSR's statement that 942 is a terrible OTA receiver.

They recently released a bullitin to the techs that state if you have a wineguard amplified antenna, it cannot be diplexed with Dishpro equipment on the Dish, meaning the antenna will need to have a single line run from the antenna to the back of the receiver.

if you have the unamplified antenna it'll be fine.

It's true, most Dish techs don't know squat about OTA unless they learned it from a previous profession, or on their own. So you may have to fiddle with the antenna in order to get your locals back.

timfouts said:
I'm sure you have heard the old saying, "if you want something done right, do it yourself?"

yep. that's what i'm starting to think.

It seems to me that if their stance on the majority of HD locals is going to be that if OTA is readily available that they wont put them on a sat, is that perhaps they should make themselves a bit more competent in OTA issues. This is bound to become more of an issues as HD goes more mainstream! Alot of folks, especially those coming from cable, probably haven't thought about antennas or rabbit-ears in ages!

yeah, i'm actually on hold w/ d/n as i type this. the "tech" doesn't even know if the ota connection on the 942 is powered or not. from what i've read, it may be just that the voom stb supplied the needed 12v and the 942 doesn't. we'll see. oh, it doesn't make me any happier that my old multiplexor is missing since the installer was at my place? hmmmm.

jerastan said:
...... or are the d/n csr's a bunch of jerks! i was a voomer and signed up for dish the morning of the big announcment. upon ordering i was told that i would continue to recieve all of the locals i had as long as i didn't mess w/ the winegaurd ota. i totally forgot to check them while the "installer" was at my house. (i know, i know..) i now have 1, not 10, 1 local station. i called the csr "tech" folks and got nothing but......... "we don't support ota." i told him what i was told by a csr prior to signing up and again, "we don't support ota." WTF!!!!! i've been reading that i should run a direct line from the winegaurd to my 942, so i know it can be fixed, but damn! shouldn't they work w/ you at least a little bit? the one thing the idiot could spew out was that my old voom stb had the best ota tuner ever, and the 942 ota receiver was horrid. nice. real nice.... glad i paid for it. :rolleyes:

oh yeah, just venting.

It's not you. They are not jerks, just underpaid, unskilled labor that is not familiar with E* and their products.

well, i finally spoke w/ a decent (not very tech savy though) tech, who agreed to call my installer and inform them of my "need of assistance" and let them know that i'd like my equipment back. i guess they're supposed to call me to day.

none of dish's OTA connections are powered... the wineguard antenna requires a power supply (the amlified one) That means it cant be diplexed. well it could creatively but the power supply would have to be between the end diplexor and the antenna.

ShadowEKU said:
none of dish's OTA connections are powered... the wineguard antenna requires a power supply (the amlified one) That means it cant be diplexed. well it could creatively but the power supply would have to be between the end diplexor and the antenna.

so if does have to be powered, what should i use?

think i found it.

"by using a WINEGARD MODEL DP 3020 dual satellite /OFF - AIR COMBINER , you can power your voom winegard sensar II or winegard ap series antenna preamplifier you can power your ota antenna with this combiner and 1 standard diplexor no power supply or extra cabling needed"

jerastan said:
think i found it.

"by using a WINEGARD MODEL DP 3020 dual satellite /OFF - AIR COMBINER , you can power your voom winegard sensar II or winegard ap series antenna preamplifier you can power your ota antenna with this combiner and 1 standard diplexor no power supply or extra cabling needed"

that would be the ideal solution.. i would assume it gets the power from the Receivers Voltage to switch/lnb.

jerastan said:

oh yeah, just venting.

Actually, from my experience, the 942 has a little better tuner. I have a local channel (WB) which is in a different location than the other local stations, so I have a seperate antanna pointed to it, and I use a joiner. The 2nd antenna pointed toards WB points directly into a bunch of trees, though, and on Voom when the trees put on leaves, I would lose WB. With the Dish 942, though, I am able to pick WB up fine through all the leaves. I was very surprised and happy. All my other locals still come in fine, too.

seandudley said:
Actually, from my experience, the 942 has a little better tuner. I have a local channel (WB) which is in a different location than the other local stations, so I have a seperate antanna pointed to it, and I use a joiner. The 2nd antenna pointed toards WB points directly into a bunch of trees, though, and on Voom when the trees put on leaves, I would lose WB. With the Dish 942, though, I am able to pick WB up fine through all the leaves. I was very surprised and happy. All my other locals still come in fine, too.

so are you running the dish straight into the 942 then? no amplifiers?
thanks!

seandudley said:
I do run it through a powered splitter/booster. That allows me to send the OTA signal to many TVs.

awesome. would you mind letting me in on where i could pick one of those up? i've searched, but it seems that everyone does somthing different.
thanks again!

The 942 DOES POWER your Winegard Sensor II--if you attach it directly to the correct input on the 942--that input is labelled 12 volt. We have one separate coax from the Sensor II directly into the 942 and it is getting power because we can get the same OTA's we had before with VOOM. No diplexor or anything between the antenna and the 942! Whoever is telling you the 942 does not power the OTA has not read the manual OR the label on the rear of the 942 beside the OTA input.

bookwalk said:
The 942 DOES POWER your Winegard Sensor II--if you attach it directly to the correct input on the 942--that input is labelled 12 volt. We have one separate coax from the Sensor II directly into the 942 and it is getting power because we can get the same OTA's we had before with VOOM. No diplexor or anything between the antenna and the 942! Whoever is telling you the 942 does not power the OTA has not read the manual OR the label on the rear of the 942 beside the OTA input.

Thanks! That's what I've been trying to find out! I'll run the line directly in tonight.
Thanks again!

jerastan said:
awesome. would you mind letting me in on where i could pick one of those up? i've searched, but it seems that everyone does somthing different.
thanks again!

You can pick up booster/splitters at Radio Shack and probably other electronics stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)