IS It Legal to have Local From Dish and DNS from AAD at the same time?

affox14

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
I am kind of lost. I have DNS from AAD, but I can't get CBS. I want CBS for football coverage. I can get CBS in a local package. Some tell me having both local and DNS is legal. Some say no, it is not legal. I can go to each website of Dish and AAD. They indicate what I can qualify for. At best I am confused, but do not want to get into trouble for violating federal law. I have heard local stations have way of monitoring customers accounts to see what networks they have. What is the prevailing opinion on this matter? Also for those who have local with Dish and Distant from AAD, please indicate how long you have had it, and if there have been any challenges filed against you by local affiliates. Thanks

There are people who do qualify for both LEGALLY. At our cabin we legally can get both Minneapolis locals and all the DNS locals from AAD but CBS (CBS has a full power satellite station about 50 miles away). Until Dish lost the DNS battle, we had both Mpls locals and all distant nets (2 per network) but CBS

If you type in your address to both and the systems say yes you qualify then yes there is no issues.

Also local networks have no way of knowing what you are watching unless they are sitting in your house or you have a Nielsen box attached to your TV ;)

I don't think the customer has any legal concerns when getting local or DNS channels. It's up to the provider to properly qualify customers as to whether they're legally allowed to have the channel.

I'm confused about your CBS options. Does Dish offer you CBS but AAD won't ?? Not sure how that's possible... Someone's address databases must be screwed up. Unless your local CBS is the only local available in your market from Dish.

The currrent law states that you can not receive DNS from the same provider you get your Local in to locals from. Since E* and AAD are diffrent providers then no law is being broken. That is the subject of an appeal that is still on going.
The bottom line is if you truly live in a white area and have E* equipment you can buy which ever DNS nets your zip code qualifies for. An example is the zip 31501 waycross ga. this zip has no locals avail OTA. You canot buy DNS from D* because D* provides the JAX FL dma (except grandfathered subs). E* also has the JAX dma but because of the law suit E* can not sell DNS anywhere.
Then along came AAD a independent company that leased sat space from E* and began to offer DNS to those elgible subs. Since AAD does not provide LiL any where in the USA then any one can buy DNS from them as long as they are elgible.

Distant Networks other then AAD

This has probably been covered before and I apologize if it has, but if you are a Dish customer with a Dish 500, can you pick up other local stations from other DMA's other then your own, if you aim the Dish at the right angle? Specifically for me I live in North Central Idaho and am in the Spokane, WA DMA. I am currently subscribing to Spokane locals as well as CBS, Fox and NBC from All American Direct. However if I can, I would like to try to pick up locals out of Portland, OR because I have family down there and at one time I was in that DMA and used to get those locals.

American Direct has no way of knowing what you have from DISH and vice a versa. I have had hd locals from Houston ,which I "moved" for with DISH and I've used my aunts address in Arkansas for American Direct for their locals for east /west coast. THey don't care as long as you pay your bill. You can sign up directly on line with American Direct using the address of your choice that would get you all locals on both east/west coasts. They are two different companies that don't share data other than the receiver numbers so they can turn on their version of distants.

I'm confused about your CBS options. Does Dish offer you CBS but AAD won't ?? Not sure how that's possible... Someone's address databases must be screwed up. Unless your local CBS is the only local available in your market from Dish.

hall
I dont know who this was intended for (me or the OP) but in my case our CBS in Minneapolis (WCCO) has 2 full powered satellite stations. One in Alexandria (about 2 hours NW of Mpls in Douglas County..KCCO) and one a good 4 hours away in Walker, MN (KCCW). KCCW is up near the top of the DMA where KAWE is and is considered grade B where our cabin is. The rest of the networks from Minneapolis are available on low powered translator stations about 35 miles west of us.

So in my case pre DNS shutoff I did legally qualify for both Minneapolis locals and DNS minus CBS. I think the OP sounds like he is in the same boat

Attachments

• Minneapolis.gif
    Minneapolis.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 153
yeah they are unique. Its kinda weird to see 3 full power stations (2 satellite stations) across the market. Most areas have the stations centered in one area. Heck in the northern part of our DMA there is no NBC OTA.

This has probably been covered before and I apologize if it has, but if you are a Dish customer with a Dish 500, can you pick up other local stations from other DMA's other then your own, if you aim the Dish at the right angle? Specifically for me I live in North Central Idaho and am in the Spokane, WA DMA. I am currently subscribing to Spokane locals as well as CBS, Fox and NBC from All American Direct. However if I can, I would like to try to pick up locals out of Portland, OR because I have family down there and at one time I was in that DMA and used to get those locals.

It all depends on whta sat and spotbeam the portland dma is on. If it is on 110 or 119 and the spotbeam footprint reaches your area then yes you can "move" to portland and get those locals. you would lose spokane and as long as you do not tell AAD you moved you can keep those DNS chanels. As to the legality it is a sore spot of debate on the forums. There those who belive it is ilegal under fraud laws. But undr SHEVRA te person breaking the law is the sat company and only if they continue to provide you locals they know you are not elgible for. Example would be you move E* provides you the locals you moved to,then they find out you move but continue to provide the dma you are not living in.

Moving is a violation of your TOS with E* but i do not know what they wil do if they catch you.

You can find the spot beam maps ans sat info at this site.

yeah they are unique. Its kinda weird to see 3 full power stations (2 satellite stations) across the market. Most areas have the stations centered in one area. Heck in the northern part of our DMA there is no NBC OTA.
Not too unique. Hagerstown, MD is just as bad. Only an NBC and ind. anywhere near it, yet it's technically part of the DC market, even though the DC stations don't reach Hagerstown.
This allows Hagerstown people to get DC stations from Dish, and Distances (except for NBC) from AAD.

I dont think I am even going to try then. I dont want to lose what I already have. Especially the distant locals from All America Direct, because I enjoy getting the occasional Oakland A's game on Fox on Saturdays, and I am also a huge Oakland Raiders fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)