Is it my meter(s)?

busdriver72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
For a looong time I have used a channel master dual satellite meter (I have two, one is an Advantage version of the Channel Master.) Very recently something has happened. As I tune in at the dish itself, the meter is showing good signal, yet at the box it will show poor signal. With some help from others, I can get a strong signal showing at the box, but a poor signal showing on my meter up at the dish. It is doing this with both meters. I do mostly 1000.4 (eastern arc) installs.
Could BOTH meters be acting up, have they made changes as far as what/how the satellite is broadcasting, or do I just need a digital meter?
I'm stumped.

For a looong time I have used a channel master dual satellite meter (I have two, one is an Advantage version of the Channel Master.) Very recently something has happened. As I tune in at the dish itself, the meter is showing good signal, yet at the box it will show poor signal. With some help from others, I can get a strong signal showing at the box, but a poor signal showing on my meter up at the dish. It is doing this with both meters. I do mostly 1000.4 (eastern arc) installs.
Could BOTH meters be acting up, have they made changes as far as what/how the satellite is broadcasting, or do I just need a digital meter?
I'm stumped.

BusDriver,

If you mean your standalone meter is reading a lot different than the software meter of your receiver this is because Dish recently changed their software to read a lot lower on purpose, so installers could peak Dish's better. In some geographical locations the received signal was pegging the software meter of the satellite receiver. The newer software meter allows installers to, in some cases better peak a Dish.

Under the Older receiver software meter a receiver would lose the Signal lock at about 40-45 percent. Under the newer Software meter the signal lock will be lost at about 10-15 percent signal strength.

In the end a (Receiver) Signal strength reading on the receiver of 40-68 sounds awful but in reality is quite serviceable.

In reality you will likely see about a 30-40 percentage point swing from your Stand alone signal meter and your receivers internal meter. THIS IS NORMAL.

John

Thanks John, I appreciate your response.
I am familair with the modifed meter on the receiver itself. When I said poor I meant extremely low...down around 10 on the receiver's meter......yet it would show excellent strength on the Channel Master. This is only a recent happening....within the last week.

That's interesting.
Mine never did it until just recently. I read another thread where using an analog meter for a long time on DPPlus stuff can take a toll on it.
I've ordered a Dual Buddy. I may order another analof type as a back up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)