Is it normal for their to be voltage present on the coax shield?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I measured DC volts between the ground block for the coax on my Slimline dish, and a ground from a extension cord.

I'm showing 1.10 volts DC. Is this normal? I thought coax shield should be 0.

No, that is not normal. But, that is what can happen when you drive a second ground rod into the ground on the opposite side of your house. There is a difference of potential between the two ground rods which will equalize through the cables or equipment. The difference can be several volts, depending on ground conditions.

I have had problems with stray voltages long before I installed a ground rod.

Back when I had a C-Band dish, after a rain, I would always get a tingling feeling when working on the coax.

When I got directv, if I wet my finger and stuck it on the case, I would get a tingling feeling.

Although ground should be 0 volts, I don't think 1 volt is going to cause any problems.

Back when I had a C-Band dish, after a rain, I would always get a tingling feeling when working on the coax.

When I got directv, if I wet my finger and stuck it on the case, I would get a tingling feeling.

Although ground should be 0 volts, I don't think 1 volt is going to cause any problems.

I think your better w/ 0 volts than 1 volt. I would un-ground. Just my opinion.

:facepalm

Status
Please reply by conversation.