Is it possible that cable made for satellite siganl would not be as good for cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I was just wondering if these cables, such as Perfect Vision and Eagle Aspen, yes the Chinese stuff, would possibly be OK for satellite, but not too good for cable.

I know people might think that "wire is wire" , but I recenty thought of the old "wire trap" used in the 70's for HBO. It was a long piece of cable that had one channel tuned out of it. Techs would put about 20 feet of this wire between the tap and the house to remove HBO..I only know these because I took one down on the early 90's and asked what it was!

With that being said....it is true that wire can be made for certain signals.

The only reason why I'm concerned is that I recently came across some info saying that TFC might not be good for satellite signals; it failed WildBlue's test. TFC has always worked out well for me, but I used it for CATV, back when 53 were all we had.

You/re correct!

Cable sold for satellite TV installation is NOT as well made as the stuff used by the cable companies. The cable has a design life of at least one and not more than 3-4 years or so. It only has to be that good to meet with the minimun design lfe specification, since satellite subscription requirements are for commitments of less than two years. With that and the pay rate for fulfillment "free" installs, that keeps the bottom line low.

Cable used by cable companies have life expectancies of ten to 25 years, since they do not want to continue to replace it. I've seen 30 years old cables in place that continue to provide good service.

A good example was the old Bell System own telephone equipment with design lives of 25 to 50 years, with some of it still in service that was installed before World War II.

The quality and durability of phone equipment began to suffer, when telephones were produced for sale to cusomers. I'm an antique telephone collector with sets fro as early as 1915, the 1920's, the 1930's and 1940's. They are in excellent condition. I'm surprised that today's Made in China stuff will survive in such good condition for that long.

Mike500 said:
You/re correct!

Cable sold for satellite TV installation is NOT as well made as the stuff used by the cable companies. The cable has a design life of at least one and not more than 3-4 years or so. It only has to be that good to meet with the minimun design lfe specification, since satellite subscription requirements are for commitments of less than two years. With that and the pay rate for fulfillment "free" installs, that keeps the bottom line low.

Cable used by cable companies have life expectancies of ten to 25 years, since they do not want to continue to replace it. I've seen 30 years old cables in place that continue to provide good service.

A good example was the old Bell System own telephone equipment with design lives of 25 to 50 years, with some of it still in service that was installed before World War II.

The quality and durability of phone equipment began to suffer, when telephones were produced for sale to cusomers. I'm an antique telephone collector with sets fro as early as 1915, the 1920's, the 1930's and 1940's. They are in excellent condition. I'm surprised that today's Made in China stuff will survive in such good condition for that long.

you're full of crap. Myt sat. cabling is over 6 years and is still in use today. I know eople who have sat. even longer and they are still using the cabling. Actually the specs for sat. shoudl be tighter in that the frequencies of the sat. are higher than what cable uses.

Sounds to me that you're a cable tv troll.

Ron

ronfelder said:
you're full of crap. Myt sat. cabling is over 6 years and is still in use today. I know eople who have sat. even longer and they are still using the cabling. Actually the specs for sat. shoudl be tighter in that the frequencies of the sat. are higher than what cable uses.

Sounds to me that you're a cable tv troll.

Ron
I will say that, 6 years ago, the sat companies were stilll using American made cable!!! I never saw perfect Vision or Eagle Aspen back then.

I tend to agree with Mike500, but I wouldn't make this just a sat. vs. CATV comparison. To me there seems to be a measurable difference between commercial grade and consumer grade coax cables (if those are meaningful category names for this discussion), even if only qualitatively, and that seems to apply for almost everything!

I used Tandy RG-6/U QS for some of my own installations, both sat. and OTA. In recent years I have come to realize that Tandy cable is a consumer-grade product, not in the same league as the better commercial grade cables. Some of that Tandy coax has been in service for 25 years and is still working well. It is certainly not the quality of "CATV cable", but it has held up. The sat. part was placed in service when ~1500MHz was all you needed for sat. service. It is still working well enough at ~2150MHz. I doubt this cable was ever "swept" to be certified for either range, but it works just fine over the lengths I use (50-75' runs). I did notice when I recently re-teminated a chunk of the cable that was carrying my OTA signal that the outer shield had a powdery white "dust" on it (aluminum oxide?) and I am concerned that I have evidence of a kind of break-down that is part of the life-limiting characteristic of this cheaper cable. I also have some very old chunks of CATV cable left over from one installation or another over the years. None of those show anything similar. The center conductor of the Tandy cable was well oxidized, but the CATV cable I have seems less so. Just things I have observed, and in the grand scheme may be insignificant.

There are other considerations here re: out-of-box quality and long-term reliability, both of which affect performance. I never did a "numbers" comparison (I'm not even sure where you could get those numbers for a lot of the cheaper stuff like the Tandy cable) but I'm willing to bet the the better cables have lower loss figures especially at the higher frequencies due to better dielectric materials, and that the shielding of the non-QS types is superior on the better cables as well vs. non-QS consumer-grade stuff. That would mean to me that for more sensitive OTA signals one should use the better cable types for best performance, initially and probably for the longer term. For DBS sat. signals, as long as the cable can pass the ~2150MHz signals with reasonably low loss over "typical" lengths (50-100'?) then the cable should be OK for that application, and even with a lower designed service life will likely be so for quite a few years. To be sure, the cable is ever degrading and probably at a quicker rate, but that degradation won't be noticeable in most installations. And for digital signals, the "quality" of the shield is a lot less significant for most installations. It would be more critical for analog applications, like legacy OTA and CATV service.

I too have collected a number of old electronic devices, like phones from the rotary dial age (still have 2 in service!) and tube-type radios, etc. Those were certainly designed to last for the long haul, vs. throw-away in a year or two, most likely due to obsolescence. When something has a designed service life of just a few years, that's a minimum (with some small expectation of "infant mortals") based on a stated set of conditions. Most of that item will last a lot longer, statistically speaking. Everything except a good wine degrades with advancing age. In some applications you just don't notice it.

Just my 2-cents worth. Cheaper may work in some applications. Better is always best...! YMMV

Last edited:
I originally used rg11 cable, but swithed to rg6 many years ago. When the cable company replaced the cable on my street with fiber, they disposed of the old calbe and I got about a 100 foot of it. The wire inside and insulation is better than RG6.

Its about quality vs Money, with current pay rate, no one will use three times that much cost on an american made cable. I did used some of the left over pefect vision cable to make jump cable, some of these could not pass the signal when connected from wall plate to receiver, but work good from receiver TV out to TV as well as wall plate on TV for cable service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts