is it possible to connect 4 Hoppers ?

hexed666

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Costa Rica
hello everybody,

here is a technical question for all installers

is it possible to connect 4 Hoppers and 8 Joey's to a single dish ? using 2 DPP44 switches with power inserter ? I know it works with 2 Hoppers and 4 Joey's on a single dish with the DPP44.

I know there can be only 2 Hoppers on an single account but this is not the question, I like to know about the technical issues.

Any input is highly appreciated !

?M.:)

Thank you Scott,

I know about the 3 Hopper setup with a DPP44 and a DPP34 , I just think it should be possible to hock this up like a 2 Hopper setup on a DPP44 just with the second DPP44 connected on the output from the first and then do the same like the first 2 Hoppers. This is only a theory so far.

M.

4 Hopper setups work well and can have access the recordings on any Hopper in the setup.

Thank you Kevin,

do I have to hock them up like I thought or is the setup somehow different ? Do you have a wiring diagram or do you know where to get one ?

Thanks a lot :D

M.

Like you thought and then just connect a short cable between client ports on the two duo nodes.

Here's an image I made back before the Hoppers were even released.

Attachments

• 4 Hopper.jpg
    4 Hopper.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Thank you Kevin,

I understand the setup but how am I going to connect the 8 Joeys to the Hoppers, 2 each ? It won't matter if they can't access the recording from the other Hopper

Tx
?M.

I would presume it would also work just fine with two DPP33s and power inserters wouldn't be needed. If so, it would save a few dollars on the installation.

I would presume it would also work just fine with two DPP33s and power inserters wouldn't be needed.

Two DPP33s do indeed have 6 DPP outputs, but they have no passthrough connectors! About the best you could do is one DPP44 and one DPP33.

Two DPP33s do indeed have 6 DPP outputs, but they have no passthrough connectors! About the best you could do is one DPP44 and one DPP33.
Triple oops. I could swear that I saw the pass throughs before. You are correct and I stand corrected, must use a DPP44 and a DPP33 for it to work.
(I'm getting cataract surgery on my right eye next month, maybe I'll then see that there aren't pass throughs on the 33.)
((I know, lame excuse)):rolleyes:

Hi Brian,
How would I connect the DPP33s to each other and or to a single dish ?Tx
?M.
Shucks, guess I got corrected.
Just went out to the garage and checked,,,my DP33s do have pass through, I wonder why they removed them on the DPP33?
Now I'm wondering if the Hoppers, through the node will supply power to the DPP33. I would expect so as it seems to me that someone has done this but won't swear to it.
I guess if I were going to go to three or four Hoppers, I would spend the extra 10 bucks and get the second DPP44. You could then add your VIP211(k) to a DPP33 instead of connecting it to the power block for the DPP44 switch and really create a nightmare of cabling. (assuming you have a 211 for tailgating.)

Brian,

I did a setup once with one Hopper and 3 Joeys on a DPP44 with a Solo Node and it did not work without the power inserter.

Back to my original question, I just connect the second set of the 2 Hoppers and 4 Joey on the pass through with an additional DPP44 with power inserter and do the same setup as on the first switch ? Should work, just there wouldn't be any access to the recorder from the first 2 Hoppers since there is no possibility to connect the data - right ?

Tx
?M.

Yes you can have four hoppers. My warehouse has 6 on one dish and they all see each other. Your going to have to pay for hoppers 3 and 4 and in most cases 2 as well.

1000.2 EA(or WA depending on the market) to a your DPP44s and then to your duo nodes. On your nodes run client straight into client and they will all see each other.
Sent From My Samsung Hercules

The cheapest way is one DPP44 and one DPP33 on the DPP44's passthrough ports. 1st port on the DPP44 takes the power inserter, then the remaining three go to a duo node, and the 3 on the DPP33 go to the second duo node. Connect client ports together and voila. Everybody sees each other. ;)

my DP33s do have pass through, I wonder why they removed them on the DPP33?

Do you mean a DP34? I have one of those, and it has passthrough ports going to my DPP33. I have no idea why they left off the passthrough ports on the DPP33.

I guess if I were going to go to three or four Hoppers, I would spend the extra 10 bucks and get the second DPP44.

Last time I priced them a DPP44 was nearly twice the price of a DPP33.

OK, Here is how it works

A DPP44 with power on port one connected pass through with a DPP34 or DPP44 with power, then each of them to a Duo Node, on each Host port one Hopper, on one client port on each Duo a 4-way splitter to 4 Joeys, then the second client port interconnected between both Duo Node's.

My problem here was that I didn't realize that I can split the client connection to 4 Joeys ! Now it's clear and the problem is solved !

Tx to everybody
M.

I noticed OP seems to be mentioning using two accounts. Here's a question, can Hoppers on different accounts see each others' recordings? I bet not. One time I had an issue with the new HwS stating the following :-

Attention 1324 To view DVR events from this Hopper, it must be active on your account. Please contact DISH customer service at 1-800-333-DISH to authorize.

A simple "hit" from DIRT fixed my issue as all four Hoppers are on the same account.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Brian,

I did a setup once with one Hopper and 3 Joeys on a DPP44 with a Solo Node and it did not work without the power inserter.

Back to my original question, I just connect the second set of the 2 Hoppers and 4 Joey on the pass through with an additional DPP44 with power inserter and do the same setup as on the first switch ? Should work, just there wouldn't be any access to the recorder from the first 2 Hoppers since there is no possibility to connect the data - right ?Tx?M.
The DPP44 does require the power inserter although I do seem to recall sometime in the distant past where some receivers did provide enough power to it for it to work. That was a long time ago and I don't recall the details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)