Is it possible to get 61.5 / 72.5 on DISH 500?

Arse69

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Right now you can get 119 / 110 on a DISH 500. Is it possible to get 61.5 / 72.7 on DISH 500?

Only compromising one or other sat.

If you handy person, try to use separate LNBFs (old style D500 ) and make more space between LNBFs ( require some mechanical skills ;) ).

Right now you can get 119 / 110 on a DISH 500. Is it possible to get 61.5 / 72.7 on DISH 500?
Yes, just drop an lnb into the empty slot, set elevation and skew for 67.1 and you're all set.

Dish 500 works perfectly for 82/91, so there is no reason it won't work on 61.5/72.7

Yes, just drop an lnb into the empty slot, set elevation and skew for 67.1 and you're all set.

Dish 500 works perfectly for 82/91, so there is no reason it won't work on 61.5/72.7

Problem is 82/91 is 9 degrees. 61.5/72.7 is 11.2 degrees. The 500 setup is spaced for 9 degrees.

The LNB spacing on a 1000.2 triple is 5 1/2" between the 110 and 119 for 9 degrees, and 5 7/8" between 119 and 129 for 10 degrees. So I'd think the spacing necessary for 61.5/72.7 should be about 6 1/4". The dude on the other site also said that the signals were weak. I wonder if it's because of the spacing, or because of not fine-tuned enough.

The dude on the other site also said that the signals were weak. I wonder if it's because of the spacing, or because of not fine-tuned enough.
It's the spacing. You can't peak both positions simultaneously.

Now, if somebody were to jury-rig another yoke to get the right spacing, it would probably work pretty well... Until 77 lights up. Here, we will have the opposite problem: two DBS satellites less than 5 deg apart. For that case, the Dish 500 itself is the problem, even with a jury-rigged 3-joke system. The Dish 500 is not big enough to resolve satellites that close together, so there will be some signal from 77 entering the 72.7 LNB, and vice versa.

It's the spacing. You can't peak both positions simultaneously.

Now, if somebody were to jury-rig another yoke to get the right spacing, it would probably work pretty well... Until 77 lights up. Here, we will have the opposite problem: two DBS satellites less than 5 deg apart. For that case, the Dish 500 itself is the problem, even with a jury-rigged 3-joke system. The Dish 500 is not big enough to resolve satellites that close together, so there will be some signal from 77 entering the 72.7 LNB, and vice versa.

Very true, carrier to noise ratios wouldn't be good at all, as the 77 would be pumping some signal in to the 72.7 LNB. The only way to overcome this is to raise the desired signal using a larger reflector, hence the 1000.4 dish.

Of course, one could always fashion some sort of rigging that would be mounted to the rear of the LNBs to intentionally obstruct the signal coming from 77. That would help the carrier to noise ratios on 72.7

Hopefully 77 doesn't interfere with 81 (4 degree spaceing).

Hopefully 77 doesn't interfere with 81 (4 degree spaceing).

It won't. Since the Bell service uses a 500 pointed at 82/91, the dish doesn't reflect much signal at all, if any, from 77. As long as Bell doesn't ever try to use a triple sat dish to get 72.5, 82, and 91, there should be no problems for Bell. If ever they do, that 77 could be a problem, unless they use a much larger dish just like DISH is doing.

What if you shortened the spar going to the yoke. Wouldn't that change the reflection angles?

I feel like I'm a great "end user" but I understand I don't understand everything. So if I computed a shorter distance that put the angles right the lnbs wouldn't behave correctly?

You can't change focal point, it's matter of the dish surface. You'll need normal D1k4 for EA.
Actually I assuming you try to use Dish500, is it right ? So, what those sats you gonna hits ?

I guess I'm just trying to do dirty math. The dish 500 is setup for 9' at 110/ 119. I was going to try for 61.5 / 72.7 so 11.2'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts