is it possible to have 2 dish's go through one cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bmw007

Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
is it possible to have 2 dish's go through one cable into the house and then split?

ok, basically i have directv right now and i'm starting to get into fta for fun. the problem is there is one coax cable going into the house being used by directv, the other by my cable internet. my question is once i install the second dish, can i have both dish cables go to a switch to have it travel along one cable into the house, then have a splitter to go to the recievers? will the recievers be able to distinguish the signal it needs? or can i run the fta signal alongside the cable internet line? i really don't think it's possible but i would like to avoid having to bring in another cable.

thanks,
ismael m

bmw007 said:
ok, basically i have directv right now and i'm starting to get into fta for fun. the problem is there is one coax cable going into the house being used by directv, the other by my cable internet. my question is once i install the second dish, can i have both dish cables go to a switch to have it travel along one cable into the house, then have a splitter to go to the recievers? will the recievers be able to distinguish the signal it needs? or can i run the fta signal alongside the cable internet line? i really don't think it's possible but i would like to avoid having to bring in another cable.

thanks,
ismael m

I have found through personal experience that most cable companies and/or satellite providers and their respective installers do not provide the proper advice when it comes to stacking and destacking signals. I had to figure it out on my own when I had the same problem you had: One cable, multiple signals from High Speed Cable and 3 satellite locations.

Here is what I did in brief:

I switched all of my LNB's to Dishpro. I then ran all of these LNB's (3 total) using RG-6 into a DP Plus 44 switch. From the DPP44 I ran ONE single cable into a Diplexer (one which allows for satellite power to pass). On the other leg of the diplexer, I ran my high speed cable.
So far, I have combined (3) orbitals and (1) high speed cable inputs all into a SINGLE run which goes straight into my living room.

In my living room, I have a DIPLEXER which splits out the cable and satellite signals. After separation, I run the satellite cable line into a DISHPRO Plus Separator and each line of the separator into the dual tuners on the back of my 721 receiver.

On the other leg of the diplexer in my living room, I run a cable straight into a splitter which splits the "CABLE" signal into two: one for my cable modem and the other for my cable television tuner.

So, in summary, I have ONE cable wire feeding the following into my living room: 110, 119, 61.5, high speed internet and cable television

No additional wires/drops necessary. I have never had a problem with this setup. However, don't expect the cable/satellite installers or the CSR lines to provide you with this information. I found through my own personal experience that most companies will NOT tell people how to feed multiple signals through one wire and will usually play dumb about the technology. I had one installer flat out lie and tell me that there was ABSOLUTELY no way to stack and destack signals.

Mixing cable or OTA and DBS is easy to do because the frequency range of each is different so no overlapping signals, you mention FTA are you using C band or K band?

easy answer.....no

explanation...sicne both run on the same frequencies, it can't distinguish. if it was FTA & OTA antenna or cable, since OTA & cable are on lower frequencies, you can use a diplexer.

Just run a new cable for the FTA dish :)

Iceberg said:
easy answer.....no

explanation...sicne both run on the same frequencies, it can't distinguish. if it was FTA & OTA antenna or cable, since OTA & cable are on lower frequencies, you can use a diplexer.

Just run a new cable for the FTA dish :)

But a stacker moves the frequencies at one side and lowers them back at the other....

So as mentioned above, it should work fine.

rcbridge said:
Mixing cable or OTA and DBS is easy to do because the frequency range of each is different so no overlapping signals, you mention FTA are you using C band or K band?

im using a c band. i have two dual lnbs...not the combined dishpro lnb.

DirecTV and Dish Network don't match, but with DTV, there is a switch 3x4 that may work with your free to air system and DTV system, but unfortunity, its only for one side of the polarity for your FTA system.

But, I knew it is also a switch from Aspen also work with FTA and Dish system, because I saw a hack system that work with FTA.

Attachments

• I think this setting is hack 003.jpg
    I think this setting is hack 003.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 278
sksatellite said:
DirecTV and Dish Network don't match, but with DTV, there is a switch 3x4 that may work with your free to air system and DTV system, but unfortunity, its only for one side of the polarity for your FTA system.

But, I knew it is also a switch from Aspen also work with FTA and Dish system, because I saw a hack system that work with FTA.

OOh sorry wrong brand, its Tokyosat switch.

Just like iceberg said No, No, and if you did not get it hell NOOO. The Absolute easiest way to to this is just bite the bullet and run another wire. "And for the guy who was talking about doing the dpp44 switch for dish network, dude if you would have read the post he clearly says he has DIRECTV, so back off talking about installers any dishnetwork guy does this same thing you talked about everyday".

If you were purely going with fta you could do it with a switch made for fta. But please save yourself the time and headace trying to figure this out and just run another cable.

Tate Satellites said:
Just like iceberg said No, No, and if you did not get it hell NOOO. The Absolute easiest way to to this is just bite the bullet and run another wire. "And for the guy who was talking about doing the dpp44 switch for dish network, dude if you would have read the post he clearly says he has DIRECTV, so back off talking about installers any dishnetwork guy does this same thing you talked about everyday".

If you were purely going with fta you could do it with a switch made for fta. But please save yourself the time and headace trying to figure this out and just run another cable.

I read his post. Obviously, you DID NOT read mine carefully enough ---> DUDE. I was talking about my "OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE". And since I have Dish Net., that's what I used as my example to describe the MISINFORMATION that is sometimes provided by UNEDUCATED Installers and/or Cable/Satellite reps. My point in the story above was simple: DON'T take the word of a so called "expert" on the technology of stacking and destacking signals on one cable wire because 9 times out of 10, those so called "experts" are full of you know what.

There may be a way to stack and destack the original poster's signals onto one cable wire -- you have to research this and you may have to engage in some trial and error. Whatever you do, don't trust the instant "NO CAN DO" response.

END of rant.

Major-V said:
I read his post. Obviously, you DID NOT read mine carefully enough ---> DUDE. I was talking about my "OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE". And since I have Dish Net., that's what I used as my example to describe the MISINFORMATION that is sometimes provided by UNEDUCATED Installers and/or Cable/Satellite reps. My point in the story above was simple: DON'T take the word of a so called "expert" on the technology of stacking and destacking signals on one cable wire because 9 times out of 10, those so called "experts" are full of you know what.

There may be a way to stack and destack the original poster's signals onto one cable wire -- you have to research this and you may have to engage in some trial and error. Whatever you do, don't trust the instant "NO CAN DO" response.

END of rant.

what you are describing as your install at your house is a very simple example of signal stacking, ecspecially now with dish's dual tuner receivers most of us use diplexers on all kinds of back feeds, ota, and cable combination...

the reason i am chiming in is because it just kind of aggravated me that you are sitting here trying to shoot down the advice given by the so called "experts" on this forum... i agree, there are some installers out there that don't know what they are doing... i had a guy working for me that installed these things for over a year, and never saw or used a diplexer... but i think your 9 out of 10 ratio is way off, i think it's probably the other way around..
also, the original post was put on this forum because he wanted the "experts" advice, he got it, DON'T DO IT, it won't work by any easy means anyway... i mean sure, if you are willing to pay any amount possible, i'm sure some electronics engineer out there can figure out a way to drop the freq of one of the signals, then at the inside of the house convert the signal back to it's original freq.

in fact, from what i understand about dish networks proplus technology that's kinda what they do, one side of the separator uses the dishpro freq, the other uses legacy freq... (i could be wrong about that)

anyway, he asked a question, the "experts", (the guys that mess with dishs all day long, 5 or 6 days a week, and are certified to do so) gave him the reasonable answer to his question.... NO, Can't be done

birddoggy said:
what you are describing as your install at your house is a very simple example of signal stacking, ecspecially now with dish's dual tuner receivers most of us use diplexers on all kinds of back feeds, ota, and cable combination...

the reason i am chiming in is because it just kind of aggravated me that you are sitting here trying to shoot down the advice given by the so called "experts" on this forum... i agree, there are some installers out there that don't know what they are doing... i had a guy working for me that installed these things for over a year, and never saw or used a diplexer... but i think your 9 out of 10 ratio is way off, i think it's probably the other way around..
also, the original post was put on this forum because he wanted the "experts" advice, he got it, DON'T DO IT, it won't work by any easy means anyway... i mean sure, if you are willing to pay any amount possible, i'm sure some electronics engineer out there can figure out a way to drop the freq of one of the signals, then at the inside of the house convert the signal back to it's original freq.

in fact, from what i understand about dish networks proplus technology that's kinda what they do, one side of the separator uses the dishpro freq, the other uses legacy freq... (i could be wrong about that)

anyway, he asked a question, the "experts", (the guys that mess with dishs all day long, 5 or 6 days a week, and are certified to do so) gave him the reasonable answer to his question.... NO, Can't be done

Yeah, and I gave him the advice to NOT listen to so called "experts".

There are no "experts" out there (in my opinion) -- regardless of education, PHD level, etc. Even a smart doctor will tell you that there are no absolutes and no certainties in anything. Anyone claiming to be an "expert" in anything is an "expert" storyteller. That's because an "expert" spends most of his/her time defending his/her position without giving any thought to possiblities outside of his/her limited scope of knowledge on the subject.

Furthermore, it's obvious, using my example alone, that there must be something out there for the OP to try to stack his two satellites onto one cable wire (if I can stack 3 locations and a landline cable connection, I'm sure the technology is out there somewhere). Deductive reasoning alone tells me there must be a cheap viable solution rather than punching holes in the wall to run legacy CABLE and fish it through the walls. (what a great way to keep the installers in business...if I do say so myself).

The first thing the original poster should do is find out the frequencies of both of his satellites and see whether or not both require power to pass through. He may also have to call around to specialty shops that sell these signal stackers and destackers on the internet and give them the frequencies each satellite uses and see how expensive the technology is to do this. Otherwise, yes, it may be cheaper to just run another line (I doubt it).

bmw007 said:

thanks,
ismael m

you have directv, right.

at the op box you have a splitter that seperates the internet and the tv lines. take the out outbound tv line to the ant in port on a 3X4 multiswitch, then use diplexers before every ird, sat goes to sat in, ant goes to antenna in, not sat port. the computer line has to be left alone. this will only work with a round dish.

as for charlies set-up, i have no clue, there are so many screwy switches involved it is un-real

the directv / cable set up will work, been there done that

Major-V said:
Yeah, and I gave him the advice to NOT listen to so called "experts".

There are no "experts" out there (in my opinion) -- regardless of education, PHD level, etc. Even a smart doctor will tell you that there are no absolutes and no certainties in anything. Anyone claiming to be an "expert" in anything is an "expert" storyteller. That's because an "expert" spends most of his/her time defending his/her position without giving any thought to possiblities outside of his/her limited scope of knowledge on the subject.

Furthermore, it's obvious, using my example alone, that there must be something out there for the OP to try to stack his two satellites onto one cable wire (if I can stack 3 locations and a landline cable connection, I'm sure the technology is out there somewhere). Deductive reasoning alone tells me there must be a cheap viable solution rather than punching holes in the wall to run legacy CABLE and fish it through the walls. (what a great way to keep the installers in business...if I do say so myself).

The first thing the original poster should do is find out the frequencies of both of his satellites and see whether or not both require power to pass through. He may also have to call around to specialty shops that sell these signal stackers and destackers on the internet and give them the frequencies each satellite uses and see how expensive the technology is to do this. Otherwise, yes, it may be cheaper to just run another line (I doubt it).

Look you really have no clue what you are talking about.

As I said before and most anyone who reads this that actually knows what they are doing, that does this everyday not just for a hobby will say the same thing. The best and CHEAPEST way to do this is JUST RUN ANOTHER CABLE. The reason you can do it is you have dish network and thats all. No directv and no fta. That is were his problem is he is asking how to put both systems on one cable. Dish network, Directv, and even the fta systems have switchs that you can use to combine each individual system. It could be a dp34 to combine three satellites together for dish, a 5X4 for 2 lnbs on directv or a DiSEqC for fta. These switches are for the system they were built for and I will add if he could find a switch that would do it the switch along with the combinder and separator is going to be way more expensive than just running a new wire. 100 to 200 dollars vs. maybe 10 to 15. Hum let me see which one I would want to do.

BMW just run a new wire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts