Is it possible to have it all ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Labgate

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hello

I just installed my new dish with my motor. I placed the post at the right place and now I'm able to get everything from 15 to 129 degrees :)up).

So my questions is : is it possible to buy a receiver that would give me all I need.

4:2:0
4:2:2
blindscan
Component output
HD (but now I know I'm asking too much)

I would be ready to pay good money for this kind of receiver.

Best regards

Labgate

Sorry for that PSB.

Thank you for putting it at the right place.

Best regards

Labgate

There is a $700+ reciever that will do most (if not all) ofthat (Quali TV) (not sure about the component in/out, but they do the rest).

There are a few on this board that have them so mabey they will chime in.

You can also use a computer card (or usb tuner) with a HTPC (and it may even be cheaper).

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck is STB for Blind scanning and dish moving. Slave a PCI card to the STB for HD and 4:2:2. I've got mine tied into my 57inch HDTV via a DVI cable.

Then if you really want it all you can replace the PCI DVB card with a USB 8PSK module. ;)

digiblur said:
Best bang for the buck is STB for Blind scanning and dish moving. Slave a PCI card to the STB for HD and 4:2:2. I've got mine tied into my 57inch HDTV via a DVI cable.

Then if you really want it all you can replace the PCI DVB card with a USB 8PSK module. ;)

If your reffering to the usb adapter that connects to the tuner module out of a dish 6000 reciever, there's actually very little that it gets that a twinhan card or DVBworld usb adapter doesn't. It will get some 8psk, but that's only turbo 8psk and turbo 8psk is only used by dish network and most of that is going to be encrypted. It will not get trellis coded 8psk which is what some networks are now using for HD feeds to save bandwidth. Also one of those adapters will tune to DCII signals but you'll only be able to get video on what's called "zero key" DCII signals and those are very few and far between. Most of the so-called FTA DCII signals are actually what's called "FP" signals which are actually encrypted but with a fixed key that an authorized DCII reciever will be able to decode. Again for the FP signals the adapter is useless except to see that the signal is actually there and determine it's parameters. Those adapter are available from 2 source and only the adapter from one of those sources will actually tune DCII because the other one doesn't include support for it in it's firmware. Anyway, for the adapter that does tune DCII there are very few signals that are zero key and thus very little DCII it will be useful for.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tuner module from the dish network reciever is limited to symbol rates of 30Ms/sec or less. That means there are at least a few signals it cannot lock that a twinhan card or DVBworld usb box can. So, with the adapter costing right around $300 and the tuner module costing around $75, if your concerned about getting the best bang for the buck, I'm afraid this 8psk usb adapter isn't it becuase there just aren't enough signals it will be useful for that a regular DVB card will not to justify the extra cost.

Last edited:
Hello all

Thank you for your responses.

@party, I think the qualitv doesn't do blind scan. I can live without hd but I need blind scan.

@digiblur, I know I can do that but what is annoying is that I can't get 4:2:2 with a stb but I can blind scan, however I can get 4:2:2 with a dvb card ( I have a twinhan starbox usb II) but I cannot blind scan.

This is why I asked about a product that would do it all.

I know I can blind scan from my pansat and then enter the frequencies in My Theatre on the usb card but I would prefer a one product solution.

Unless there is a solution to blind scan with the usb card ?

Labgate

Unfortunately, what you seek seems to be the "Holy Graile" of FTA, and we have yet to discover its whereabouts ;) The closest seems to be a good STB and either a PCI card or one of those nice USB DVB boxes.

:(

Thanks, this is what I tought but I wanted to be sure.

Labgate

partyharty said:
There is a $700+ reciever that will do most (if not all) of that (Quali TV) (not sure about the component in/out, but they do the rest).
Actually, it has component out (no in), but it has no blind scan. It will scan, just won't do blind scan. You have to manually enter TP/SR/polarity, and scan. Unless it's a preprogrammed TP, which ain't likely. Also I have to keep it clean, meaning, when I overload it with saved TP's, it gets quirky and has been known to lock up. But, all in all, it works great for me. I love it.

Al

The Qualitv has it quirks, but the advantages it has outweighs the quirks by far
It is the best 700.00 I ever spent on the hobby, 4:2:0,4:2:2,4:2:0 HD,4:2:2 HD,
and AC3 audio out,other receivers cost alot more, that have those features.
I purchased mine from Rick at Ricks satelite. been very happy with it.

Stefan said:
If your reffering to the usb adapter that connects to the tuner module out of a dish 6000 reciever, there's actually very little that it gets that a twinhan card or DVBworld usb adapter doesn't. It will get some 8psk, but that's only turbo 8psk and turbo 8psk is only used by dish network and most of that is going to be encrypted. It will not get trellis coded 8psk which is what some networks are now using for HD feeds to save bandwidth. Also one of those adapters will tune to DCII signals but you'll only be able to get video on what's called "zero key" DCII signals and those are very few and far between. Most of the so-called FTA DCII signals are actually what's called "FP" signals which are actually encrypted but with a fixed key that an authorized DCII reciever will be able to decode. Again for the FP signals the adapter is useless except to see that the signal is actually there and determine it's parameters. Those adapter are available from 2 source and only the adapter from one of those sources will actually tune DCII because the other one doesn't include support for it in it's firmware. Anyway, for the adapter that does tune DCII there are very few signals that are zero key and thus very little DCII it will be useful for.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the tuner module from the dish network reciever is limited to symbol rates of 30Ms/sec or less. That means there are at least a few signals it cannot lock that a twinhan card or DVBworld usb box can. So, with the adapter costing right around $300 and the tuner module costing around $75, if your concerned about getting the best bang for the buck, I'm afraid this 8psk usb adapter isn't it becuase there just aren't enough signals it will be useful for that a regular DVB card will not to justify the extra cost.

PM Sent.... due to no feed talk in this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)