Is it possible to hide channels from the DISH managed guides?

fiveolddogs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I just got the VIP 722, and I have been using the HD guide listing quite a bit, but it's frustrating to have all the NBA, NHL, and premium channels (which I am not subbed to) listed there, as well as all the duplicate channel mappings.

Is it possible to hide channels I don't receive or channels I have locked out from the DISH managed guides (eg. "All channels", "All subbed", and "HD")? Also, these channels pop up when I use the search function as well, even though I have them locked out.

I know I could create my own HD guide listing, but if I do that I may miss changes to the HD lineup DISH makes in the future.

On a related note, if I do create my own HD guide listing, is it possible to disable the DISH HD guide from appearing when I cycle through the guides?

Thanks.

I made my own HD list. Dish's All HD list drove me up the wall. It seemed like I was always flipping the channel to get through all the clutter (NBA, NHL, Redout:rolleyes:) to find a channel that I could watch.

Wow. Looks like a little bit of attention by DISH in this department would make a big difference for a lot of users. How hard would it be to implement a editable guide system which allows you to turn on/off lists from the cycle-through, and to reorder the channel line up on your customized lists? Does Direct do this?

Turning on the channel locks reminds me of another irritation. I used to have the ratings/content locks turned on all the time, but this required me to constantly have to enter the lockout code when surfing channels. The worst was when I would watch a show I had recorded. Since the default DISH timer starts recording a couple minutes before the show starts, I would have to enter the code to catch the credits to some movie, and then again for the movie I was actually trying to watch. Sheesh.

It would be nice if the system unlocked for XX minutes after the code has been entered, or could auto-lock after XX minutes of inactivity. It got so irritating that I changed the code to "2222" for the simplicity of entering it. Then my 8 year old guessed it. Now I turn it off while watching and *TRY* to remember to turn it on before bed. This is the very definition of a broken UI.

I made my own HD list. Dish's All HD list drove me up the wall. It seemed like I was always flipping the channel to get through all the clutter (NBA, NHL, Redout:rolleyes:) to find a channel that I could watch.

The list would be at least be manageable if they didn't have 3 different numbers for one channel...

The list would be at least be manageable if they didn't have 3 different numbers for one channel...

No kidding, I go through and lock out all the duplicates, which is a pain to maintain. I'd like an option that says "turn off mirrored channels" or something.

No kidding, I go through and lock out all the duplicates, which is a pain to maintain. I'd like an option that says "turn off mirrored channels" or something.

You can turn off channel mapping....

Wow. Looks like a little bit of attention by DISH in this department would make a big difference for a lot of users. How hard would it be to implement a editable guide system which allows you to turn on/off lists from the cycle-through, and to reorder the channel line up on your customized lists? Does Direct do this?

The guide is editable, there are about 5 user guides that you can set up and cycle through by repeatadly pressing the 'guide' button....

I just created my own hd list in favorites. You still have to scroll thru with the guide button ,but I found that method easier. I have one with my true favorites with HD and one for HD only. It works great for me.

Turning on the channel locks reminds me of another irritation. I used to have the ratings/content locks turned on all the time, but this required me to constantly have to enter the lockout code when surfing channels.
Yes, that is sooooo annoying we ended up turning it off. Clearly they don't include "channel surfing" in their test regiment when they came up with this feature. My old Time Warner set-top worked in a "session" mode. We had channels locked and if we let the kids watch a locked channel, the receiver was "unlocked" for all channels until it was turned off. When it was turned back on, the channels were locked again. I'd like to see Dish change theirs similar to this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts