Is it possible to hook up from 622 to vcr to tv?

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
My sister would like to install an analog(?) vcr for recording programs from her 622dvr to it.

She currently is using her 622 in single mode. She does have her vcr hooked up with coax from the vcr out to the tv in for watching tapes. Is there any way to hook up an output from the 622 to the vcr in. The vcr has just coax in and out and composite in and out (but only the yellow video and white audio, no red.)

She has the 622 hooked up to the HDTV with both HDMI and component. And, the tv has both coax and composite inputs also.

I tried hooking up what I thought was the composite out on the 622 to the composite in on the vcr but it didn't seem to work.

Either the search function is very hard to find anything with or more likely I don't know how the hell to use it. But, I did search for this for quite a while without much luck.

Last edited:
Yes it will work. As you had it mono only but it will work. What you probaly didn't do was set the input of the VCR to line input. If you want to use the coax, get a RF Modulator and come out of the comp. from 622(red,white,yellow) into the Modulator and then into the coax of VCR set to 3or 4.

Yes it will work. As you had it mono only but it will work. What you probaly didn't do was set the input of the VCR to line input. If you want to use the coax, get a RF Modulator and come out of the comp. from 622(red,white,yellow) into the Modulator and then into the coax of VCR set to 3or 4.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did try setting the input to both line 1 and line 2 and switched between tv and vcr setting on each line input. Maybe I didn't have the composite out from the vcr going to the correct input on the tv. I don't know.

Perhaps getting an RF Modulator that will let me use the coax input and output on the vcr would be best since I know the tv is getting a signal from the vcr through the coax because she can play tapes.

Would there be any advantage or is it even possible to use the S-video output from the 622 with an RF Modulator if I am going to apparently use regular coax to the vcr input. I did take a quick online look at a couple RF Modulators and I see they do have them with S-video.

Your best connection (if available) to the VCR is S-video, then composite (Yellow, red, white RCA plugs), then coax (poorest picture).

The same order works for connection of TV to VCR, S-Video, composite, coax.

Use the best same connection you can for both. Mixing composite and coax still gives you coax resolution. Mixing s-video and composite gives you composite resolution.

I use composite from my 622 to VCR to TV.

Not really due to down rezzing the output to coax. There is a coax output on the 622, you would have to set the output to the type of signal the vcr will accept and use a channel number with no interference from any other source.

You say there is a coax output. Is that the modulator which I understand you have to set to a channel from something like 21-69. That is the only coax output I can see. If so, do I set the modulator channel in the 622 setup menu, the vcr, and the cable source (that is what it currently shows vcr tapes on) on the tv all to the same channel, say 30 for all?

Also, if I use the modulator output will the 622 still be used in single mode? I hope so.

Am I on-track with this set-up or am I totally off-base?

I could just go try it out, but I thought I would ask here before going and screwing something up.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. There are actually to channels you can select, one for each tuner. It can be set for analog or differing types of cable. Try several setting to see which works best with your vcr. If you use single user both channels would be active to the same channel/dvr event.

622 to vcr to tv hookup using coax

Tried it and it worked. Coax cable directly from modulator out on 622 to cable in on vcr, and vcr out to tv. Set 622 modulator setup output 1 to cable channel 75, vcr to channel 75, but had to leave tv cable source on channel 3. Set modulator output 2 to channel 80. But when I tune the channel on the vcr to channel 80 it shows the same thing as modulator output one on channel 75. I thought this setup might show 622 tuner one on vcr channel 75 and tuner 2 on vcr channel 80 but such is not the case. They both show the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)