Is it possible to lock a timer so it cannot be cancelled?

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
I have a series timer set for Car Kings on Discovery on Monday nights. I looked in the HWS DVR and could not find this weeks episode, so I looked at the timers and it showed "event cancelled/skipped by user". I did not cancel the event, I even went to the guide and timers earlier that day to make sure it was scheduled to record. I think it may have been skipped by someone else in the house. It would not have been that big of a deal except when I went to VOD, the newest episode was not available to watch. I know, one more reason to get a H3.

What receiver do you have now? And sadly, this is normal behavior on a lot of recordings l

I have a Hopper with Sling, and it is some work juggling timers when there are nights that have a lot of shows that I record. I will frequently record the second showing of a program later in the evening so I can make sure that I have enough timers to record them. Thinking about upgrading to a H3 which would eliminate the problem. Thanks.

I hate to beat a dead horse but it's the guide data...I have to watch all my timers now. Things will go awry from spelling differences such as "mixed-ish" to "Mixed-Ish" to the guide stating NEW for old content (hello History and SCI, are you paying attention?). I have two identical timers for "Ru Paul's Drag Race"...no different spellings or capitalization...one timer only records the regular series and the other only records the celebrity series. Go figure :deadhorse2

Yeah, I see a lot of that too. I have a "new" series timer for Deadliest Catch. It runs on Tuesday night. I had a "new" episode in the DVR from Monday and was trying to figure out if they changed nights or what. Eventually figured out that the Monday episode was from Season 3 (it is on season 15 or 16 now) but was labeled "new" in the description.

I also noticed that when I went to set a recurring timer for a series, it was skipping episodes. I found out there were 2 timers in the list. Each one identical except for the channel. Battlestar Galatica moved from TBS to SiFy. So the TBS one was ahead of the actual showings of on the SiFy channel and I was getting a ton of skips. I removed the TBS timer and all went back to being well. Check to make sure that you don't have two timers for the same program.

I did find another reason for skipped recordings last night. When I am juggling timers with the HWS I sometimes skip the first viewing and record the second viewing later in the evening. When the timer is set for new it will not record the later viewing due to the fact that is no longer "new". Funny it shows the red dot on the showing in the guide but does not always record. It may be because the viewing is technically the next day (different date from the original) if it is after midnight.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The only way to "lock" a timer is to create a manual timer by channel and time. If anything changes it will still record whatever is on that channel at the specified time, regardless.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)