Is it possible to use the 722k for OTA only (no sat)?

So who needs analog OTA or a TIVO for that matter. I hope to see the extortionist TIVO go out of business.

The Series 3 HD TiVo's were designed before the OTA digital transition. A current use for the analog tuners is for the TV2 output of 322's (instant DVR functions) or any other TV2 output or TV1 or TV2 of a 222 and 222K (and there are a fair number of subs who have such connections) to be routed through the TiVo to view on TV without having to diplex or switch to the direct TV antenna input of the TV along with DVR functionality for the non-DVR boxes.

BTW, I don't like the notion that TiVo thinks it invented DVR's and all other DVR's must be violating its patents. It's just that TiVO really is the most reliable and feature rich DVR for recording OTA. I was really heartbroken to learn that the Moxi HD didn't have digital OTA tuners because I wanted it to compete with TiVo and maybe even kick TiVo's ass. Yes, the DVR Pal works well for some, but there have been a lot of complaints about its basic functions and inconsistent ability to record programs. The DVR Pal is not in the same league as Dish Network satellite HD DVR's.

The DISH dvr pal plus dvr is like the 721 or 921 dvrs . They are like digital vcrs with time related timers and not name based recording. The guide information is spotty and only cities that have TV guide information broadcast from a local CBS affiliate can get a full 7 days guide information. I get guide data for ABC, CBS and CW and FOX for 7 days out but not on NBC because it is a digital sub channel of ABC. My lesser local channels or independents and the religious station and its sub channels only get one day out.

I have wondered why DISH hasn't allowed the name based recording software to be used on the pal plus dvr . I also wonder why they won't allow the usb port for external hard drives to be used as well. I think if DISH could find a way to charge for the better guide data and the external hard drive upgrade for all the pal plus dvrs , they would do it. But as it stands right now you are pretty much on your own , once you have bought the pal plus dvr. Too bad, because this receiver would be really nice if it could do better guide data and have name based recording software and external hard drive support. I guess DISH is afraid too many people would go full ota ,instead of buying satellite tv.

MikeD-CO5, your post is exactly the kind of comments and complaints that have been posted on this and other boards regarding the weak points of the DVR Pal.

I think the idea was for Echostar to produce an affordable alternative to TiVo, and that meant NO MONTHLY CHARGES. However, that also meant that the DVR Pal had to rely on the PSIP because if Dish had to provide a truly reliable guide, it would have to pay for it (like both Dish and TiVo do to use Tribune guide data), then they would have to spend big $$$ creating a separate billing system to charge DTV Pal users so they could recoup the cost of the guide. That would have put the DVR Pal exactly in the same spot as TiVo, and the only advantage of no monthly payment would have disappeared. I believe this is the same reason Moxi HD DVR does not have OTA tuners. They didn't want to go down that road either, and, of course, the TiVo business model is near death. Even TiVo is trying to get out of the hardware business and become exclusively software. That is why they sued Dish/Echostar.

So, now, today, if one wants a truly reliable, name based DVR, with rich features to boot, for OTA recordings, then TiVO HD or HDXL is it. Very sad. As for Dish ViP HD DVR's: they still don't show guide data for far too many sub-channels that do have good programming on them. TiVo does show guide data on many of the sub-channels that Dish doesn't, yet they both use Tribune services. So, until Dish gets with it with the sub-channel data, that still leaves TiVo as the most reliable DVR for OTA recordings.

for whatever its worth the secondary missing guide info on my 722K is the same as the missing dvr pal channel info. exactly the same.

interesting......

my DTVPal (not the DVR model) has guide info for all of my channels including the subchannels of Ion. My Dish 811 which can get guide info without a subscription doesnt have subchannels info. None of them

The only digital channels that dont have guide info on the DTVPal is the low powered TBN mux. It just shows the guide as "TBN" "TCC" (the Church Channel), "SOAC" (Smile of a Child), "JCTV" and "TBN Enlance"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts