Is It Really Worth It?

boyndog

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I'll apologize in advance for my newbie-ness... I've had a Dish dvr for a couple years now -- and have been quite happy with it. But I've coveted a 921 since I first heard about it. Now that the money's burning a hole in my pocket -- and I've found this terrific site -- I find myself hesitant. Is the 921 too flawed to bother with? Is it too much trouble? Too ridden with bugs and other mind-numbing quirks? Would it be better to wait a generation or two for DISH to get its act together?

Most of the current problems are with OTA channels and should be resolved in the next few software updates (crosses fingers). I'm pretty happy with mine. More importantly, so is the wife. She recorded 3 movies last night with no help from me :)

Hi, Welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

While the HD-DVR from DirecTV is probably a better product. The 921 is not terrible... You might have to show some patience with this product, but overall it works fine.

Dish is working on a new HD-DVR, but other than a test product they've shown there hasn't been any word on when to expect it and how it will be released (Lease or Own).

But if you want get a hold of a 921 you should hook up with our retail partner, http://www.dishstore.net/

There's a thread on here somewhere about how you can get in on a bulk order discount. I'll look for it and post it when I find it ;)

And here it is - http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=31993

Hope this helps you out ;)

Thanks for your feedback. I'll probably take the plunge -- adding my name to the list over at dishstore...

I spoke with Claude tonight, it appears our first bulk order will happen on or around Monday. If you want a 921 for the Internets lowest ever price of $849 I advise you to get in as soon as you can. :)

AJ,
I too jones for a HD DVR....but I keep my money in my
pocket because available HD content is too small. I want
network HD which apparently requires an act of congress.

I'm lookin at Tivo's new HD offerings....its a possibility, but I
still need more content.

birkoff

I've had my 921 since January and I can say that other than some OTA problems, it has worked well. The constant reboots and lock-ups are gone(for me).

As birkoff said, there is a limited amount of HD content out there, but is only going to get better over time.

It is the price you pay for being one of the first ones on the block with a 921.

:)

Less Content makes the DVR MORE desirable

Because there is less essential programming available in HD, I don't want to miss it and I want to time-shift it. For me a PVR is a must so I took the plunge as soon as the group-buy was announced here....

Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)