Is it safe to give out receiver ID and Smartcard numbers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Don_S

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
I am thinking of selling a couple of de-activated Dish receivers on ebay. Is it safe to give out the receiver ID and Smartcard numbers? Any risk of the numbers being misused?

A potential buyer needs to have these numbers to verify with Dish that there is no outstanding balance owed. No risk to you that I am aware of.

Thanks, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.. better be safe than sorry :D

I personally do not like giving them out, I tell people on ebay to look at my feedback and then decide if im worth trusting to send them a good receiver.

As as dealer I have tools to remove receivers from accounts and clear ballances!

I personally do not like giving them out, I tell people on ebay to look at my feedback and then decide if im worth trusting to send them a good receiver.

As as dealer I have tools to remove receivers from accounts and clear ballances!

This probably works good if you sell lots of receivers. Potential buyers can see sellers feedback for selling receivers and their customers sucessfully activating them. It's a little different when you just want to pass one or two on to upgrade.

I have sold two on eBay and I passed the R & S numbers on to the buyers before the sale and got a pretty good price on both. Within the past couple of years a 2700 went for $30 and more recently a 4900 for $50.

I am soon going to "trade up" an 811 and I expect that to go for over $100. Then I will get another ViP211 for about $200 or maybe a ViP622 for $350.

If you are patient and watch closely, you get the best deals. When I buy, I want a good price and I want to check the numbers with Dish. If the seller does not share the number with me, I will not buy.

I have had no problems when I share the numbers on the receivers I have sold.

What could someone do with those numbers anyway?

If you had an account with lets say a 625 and did not intend to pay the bill, you could swap it with a 625 you saw on ebay. The system would basically mark the 625 on ebay as the leased receiver allowing the receiver you still have in your possession to be free and clear!

This probably works good if you sell lots of receivers. Potential buyers can see sellers feedback for selling receivers and their customers sucessfully activating them. It's a little different when you just want to pass one or two on to upgrade.

I have sold two on eBay and I passed the R & S numbers on to the buyers before the sale and got a pretty good price on both. Within the past couple of years a 2700 went for $30 and more recently a 4900 for $50.

I am soon going to "trade up" an 811 and I expect that to go for over $100. Then I will get another ViP211 for about $200 or maybe a ViP622 for $350.

If you are patient and watch closely, you get the best deals. When I buy, I want a good price and I want to check the numbers with Dish. If the seller does not share the number with me, I will not buy.

I have had no problems when I share the numbers on the receivers I have sold.

What could someone do with those numbers anyway?

First, good luck selling an 811 on ebay. Dish won't re-activate it.

Second, why buy a 622 for 350 bucks.
Lease one, there is no more lease fee!!!!

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts