Is it safe to order a DSR-410 from skyvision or should I wait?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smikolaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Southern NH
I am starting to get into C-band, bought a 6' dish from WSI and I am interested in setting up a W5 fixed system. I can't get a good read on what is going on or if these receivers and programming services will still be available in a few weeks. From what I have read in here it looks like it should be but I just wanted to make sure so I don't waste my time and money.

Also, can I use my traxis 3500 to help point my dish to 105W by setting up the proper LO and a strong transponder to look for?

Thanks.

The DSR-410 is a good option for you if subscriptions are your main goal! Review what's available so you know whats "up there" for you. Not everything's on W-5, but much GOOD stuff is! I bought a used DSR-10 on Ebay, did a "master reset" of the receiver, attached to aimed dish and called SRL. They did not charge an activation fee! There's a thread here on the site if you search for what SRL plans to offer in packages after January 4th. Its more flexible than what skyvision has packaged now through SRL.

As with any used equipment you risk age, battery life, etc....but, the receivers I ordered used all came in great shape with remote. My understanding is that the data stream for subscribing to multiple satellites through the Motorola system with a 4D receiver is being shut down. The data stream for W-5 through SRL has been available for some time via a DSR 410, or, after January 4th by converting a 4D receiver if you already have one. The easiest route? for subs.....DSR-410. Still C-band quality!

I'm no expert on the aiming, I had my dish already on W-5 fixed, but...there's a GREAT on screen signal lock screen in the 410's that may be of help. I don't remember much FTA on W-5 in my limited time with my Pansat....

As for how long the W-5 SRL system stays going? Depends on subscriptions, I guess. I'm unclear......SRL told me there were 900 "current subs" when I activated, but....I don't think that includes the cable systems that use the 410's as add-ons to customers. Anyone know that info? (but an investment in a good C-band dish will pay off in FTA for you in the long haul, anyway!)

My opinion and a buck or two might get you a cup of coffee, but hope its of some help!

Thanks for the help! I currently have a motorized KU band setup and have been having a lot of fun playing around with that over the past couple of years - one day I may upgrade to an HD receiver. I just checked out SRL and I think the information on their site may have answered my questions - thanks for pointing me in that direction. I will check out Ebay and craigslist to see if I can find a reasonably priced 410. The SRL packages look reasonable for what they offer and what I want to watch that I currently don't get OTA or FTA.

Before you Ebay buy, feel free to PM me. I have a reputable seller, based on how they treated me. Glad to pass along the info. I have no connection to them, but was pleased with their service and honesty.

I setup my fleabay bought DSR410 on Friday. Just to be certain I opened up the unit & replaced the coin cell with a AA size 3.6 volt & holder(Rat Shack). I used a Dremel tool with a thin cutoff wheel to cut slots in the tamper-proof screws, then replaced them with metric Philips heads(Ace Hardware). I know that some here don't approve of a battery without permanently attached leads, but this will get me by until I can get some for this & my other 4DTV units.
Tech support at Skyvision suggested that I might have to do a Master Reset(options 6,7,7,8 then 6). It kept losing authorization & reverting back to cable box settings when unplugged. The 'satellite tune in signal' (options 6, 3, 1) strength bar kept failing. even with a 10 ft dish!
After replacing the battery & doing an MR it accepted the hits OK. Note that the sat ID is AI.

I was informed today that it isn't important which designation is there, X4 or AI, as long as the strength bar reads around 50 to 75 & you're getting your channels. Thee 99 reading is with an ASC241 LNBF on the 10 ft dish.

A Geosat Pro C2 dual output LNBF with the zero at the 9 o'clock position & an Eagle Aspen powered 4x8 multiswitch works well with the DSR410s on a 7.5 ft motorized dish. Signal reading of 99 again.

Attachments

• Motorola DSR410 Menu 011.jpg
    Motorola DSR410 Menu 011.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 341
  • Motorola DSR410 Menu 017.jpg
    Motorola DSR410 Menu 017.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
I have a used DSR-410 W5 Receiver that I have used for about 6 months that came from sky vision. It works perfect. I was going to run it on e-bay for sale
and I know that it is a good unit. cause I just pulled it out of service about a week ago. make me an offer-plus shipping. I have done moved on
to bigger and better things.
Thanks oldtimer

I believe it is definitely safe to get a 410 because I believe the 410 service was planning to continue uninterrupted all along though this ordeal. The big deal is switching 4DTV's over to use the 410 service that was going to continue anyway.

You might want to check availability and have them notify you when they get stock, instead of putting your money out with no idea of when they'll get stock to sell you. They haven't had any for awhile.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts