Is it safe to paint the dish?

jarnerdav

Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I would like to paint over the words "Star Choice" on my Star Choice dish (I hate to give free advertising and I don't want to raise any questions with Dish installers that always seem to be in the neighborhood). Is it safe to paint the dish--if so, what kind of paint should I use?

my neighbor here in pa painted her dish and it did not work dish network charged her for anew one as it says in their rules- not to paint it- i never read anything in *C rules about that- i to am a *c sub in usa- pa-my neighbors one is a cable installer and the other dish/direct- gave me a little grief about it- told them to get over it.
i would not worry about them if I were you.

Well now, that's a little strange. At the official dishnetwork FAQ ( located at http://www.1-satellite-tv-facts.com/Dish-Network-FAQ.html ) I found....

12. Can I paint the dish antenna so that it blends in with my house?
Yes, you may paint it but it is not recommended. It may cause signal loss and void your warranty.

If you do decide to paint your dish, you can use any color of paint that you choose. Do not get paint on the front cover of the LNBF (the white plastic cap that faces the dish), and avoid latex and metallic paints. It is also recommended that you use as few coats as possible as more paint will increase signal loss.

So, that says it COULD cause a problem, but it does not say definately NOT to paint it. As for this query, I might mist a few very light coats of gray paint (the SC dish is gray, isn't it?) over just the logo. Realistically tho, I wouldn't worry about it myself. I doubt the Dish installers would care one way or another.

my neighbor here in pa painted her dish and it did not work dish network charged her for anew one as it says in their rules- not to paint it.

Dave you neglected to put in the little tidbit that she painted the LNB eye too
(I remember your original thread on that)

yes I forgot to mention she painted everything, incl lnbf she painted angels on the dish and it looked like hell- dish said the paint voided all warranties and she had to pay to get a new dish plus labor.
btw, one of my neigbors is a dish network installer, he has an hd anntenna on his roof because dish does not have the us nets in hd in our area- his antenna and dish blew down in last week's storm-- he was hinting about watching football on my hd tv- after telling me for years I should have dish and he would install it.

yes I forgot to mention she painted everything, incl lnbf she painted angels on the dish and it looked like hell- dish said the paint voided all warranties and she had to pay to get a new dish plus labor.
btw, one of my neigbors is a dish network installer, he has an hd anntenna on his roof because dish does not have the us nets in hd in our area- his antenna and dish blew down in last week's storm-- he was hinting about watching football on my hd tv- after telling me for years I should have dish and he would install it.

Doesn't sound like a good installer. All of my dishes including my 90cm lived through Hurricane Rita and Katrina.