Is it the $300 that makes you "one sided"?

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I am curious as to why there are people who love high tech stuff, video quality, leading edge, etc., that get so riled up about the player format that they chose to buy that they instantly "hate" the other format. Trying to convince the masses that they made the correct decision seems to be more important than just enjoying what they have.

I mean, we're not talking big bucks here. Players can be had for $200-$450, which is a lot less than I have paid (in the past) for things like VHS HiFi machines, S-VHS machines, LaserDisc players, even quality DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD machines.

Sure, format wars suck and usually end in a smoldering pile (SACD/DVD-A), but with solid support for both one would think that dual-format players would eventually rule, and both sides would move forward making discs for all.

It just seems odd that people get so worked up over a $300 decision. Is it really worth all of the stress and aggravation?

Have a great holiday!

To be honest price was an issue for a little while. I picked up an hd-dvd 360 add on from sams club for $100 a few months ago. At that price I couldn't turn it down. Yesterday my wife decided enough was enough and came home with a PS3 and a stack of blu-ray movies because she was tired of all the movies she wanted being in Blu-ray. Oddly it was The Simpsons movie that put her over the edge. She is claiming this is my xmas present but I think she bought it more for herself :D

And if one or both of the formats goes away I still have a 360 and a PS3 left. I will say I wouldnt buy a stand alone player until this "war" gets figured out.

It just seems odd that people get so worked up over a $300 decision. Is it really worth all of the stress and aggravation?
I think it's more than just the money. As stated many times before many people want to feel that they made the right choice between the two. In the begining I was a rabid anti-bluite praising the choice of red. Recently, I got tired of missing out on movies I wanted to see in high def. When the Samsung went under 300 I got on board with Blue. So far I'm very happy with the decision.

It's $300 over and over again (profile 1, 1.1, 2, 3?) that makes me one sided.

However, I will likely break down and buy a Blu player to go purple next year.

I have property taxes to pay in January ($300 is nothing compared to that of course). However, if I see one of the profile 1.0 standalones get close to $100 I will definitely jump on it.

Nope, Spent the money on 2x 360's premiums 1x Elite 2x Hd-DVD drive add ons.

Track record makes me squeamish. Sony last successful non proprietary format was the 1.44 floppy.

If they manage to stick around a few more years I will go neutral as well. But I come from the show me state.

As the owner of neither, I will never buy BD because of Sony's history of harvesting personal info VIA DRM. Whichever format is hacked so I can do whatever I want with the data that I BUY will be the player I support. Preventing me from making legal copies of material I buy will not ever induce me to get a player.

That being said, I won't have any format I cannot record to cheaply, and neither format is there yet. :)

The Toshiba HD-A3 is $178 with 7 free movies on Amazon. Thats almost half of $300. Thats the price of a good upcoverter.

I just purchased an HD-DVD player, well my wife got it for me for Christmas. With me is wasn't about the money, it's about Sony. Every piece of Sony gear I've ever owned has died on me. 4 PS-2's, 2 TV's numerous Walkman & Discmans and numerous other items. When my last PS-2 died I said enough is enough.

I don't own a 1080p set yet, so I'm happy with watching movies on the Dish HD stations for now. I don't really care for Sony products either, so I'm hoping HD-DVD will win out.

is this your opinion or do you have facts to back it up?
It may be true, however the people I know that own one are all over 20

I'll agree with you and up your ante. Saying that many of them are left over fans from the PS2. Brand loyalty can be a horrible thing. :D

is this your opinion or do you have facts to back it up?
It may be true, however the people I know that own one are all over 20
Those are kids IMO. And from what Ive heard in my ear on the PS3 live gaming sites I am quite correct. Most are a bunch of kids.

Those are kids IMO. And from what Ive heard in my ear on the PS3 live gaming sites I am quite correct. Most are a bunch of kids.

Yeah IceWOlf sounds quite juvenile IMO as well. :D Bet he will come on here claim he is 31 with 3 children .

Oh wait thats me. :D

You are entitled to view them as such if you so desire, I guess the same could be said about people I hear on Xbox live, or here for that matter. Side note vurb, I never said how far over 20, I could have meant in the 40s, can i take it to mean through my generalization in the age that you think anyone of any age is a child just for owning one(just as you said) or did you miss that?

I'll agree with you and up your ante. Saying that many of them are left over fans from the PS2. Brand loyalty can be a horrible thing. :D

True to an extent.
One of the reasons i bought the PS3 was previous experience with the PS2 and original playstation, but it wasnt the only reason. I also wanted a BD player. It just made sense to get one that could take advantage of the PS games I had and the few titles coming out later that I might want also.

PS3 live gaming?

Kids are the main reasons why consoles were made right? That was true back in the PS/N64/Sega/Atari days, where usually most kids were attracted to gaming consoles and adults were attracted to PC games, now days it seems like with the Xbox/PS2 era and now the Xbox 360/ PS3 era more and more adults are getting involved into console games.

Moving on, Yes I am 19.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)