Is it worth getting a 4DTV receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I've been very happy with my upgrade to a C-band dish. I'm finding I'm watching a lot more on satellite now I have access to more programming than was on ku-band.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to pick up a used 4DTV receiver? Is there much DCII programming that's in the clear, or is it really only useful if I'm going to subscribe to one of the 4DTV packages?

Assuming it is worth getting one, what should I look out for? I've read a lot about maps, although I'll be honest I don't really understand what they are all about. They seem to be something like the channel and satellite memory for the receiver, right? It also seems that the receiver can become useless if they become corrupted or if the battery dies. I guess that would be the biggest concern with finding one on Ebay.

Cheers,

I have never used 4DTV before, but from what I have read here and else where 4DTV is almost at the end of it's existence.

Not much ITC DCII. subs are still available - I maintain a few subs to keep my 4dtv units ticking over.

If the onboard battery fails the unit will lose its Unit ID - making it unusable for subscriptions. They are 'easy' to change for someone with soldering skills.

The maps tell the IRd what channels are where, including their freq, sr, etc. if you use IRd for sub not you don't need this. If you want to experiment like Ftaers then you'll want this. Again, not difficult for anyone who's flashed a IRd or other device, but it does require a particular interface board which adds $$ to your project.

As I say to everyone, it really comes down to what you want it for. If you're interested and want to know more about the platform, you'll be able to find a cheap unit somewhere.

Rule #1 make sure the unit I'd reported in the IRd menus is the same as the one printed on the back - if not the battery has failed and the uid lost, meaning no subs for you!
Rule #2 if uid is intact, get the battery changed pronto

Last edited:
Thanks to all. It sounds like it's not worth the bother, unless I manage to find one really cheap.

I was wondering about all those transponders on which DCII is the modulation, but it seems like they are locked up with encryption too.

Yup if under $25 go for it.

When mine finally dies, I'll recycle it and go to Diseqc actuator control. The 4DTV is much better for antenna actuator control though, IMO. I've noticed on ebay they're still trying to get $100+ for the 4DTV IRD.

My reciever was remapped so I cant really give you the info you request (sat names are different, channel #'s are also different). The best thing is to turn it on and see what you can find. Things pop up all the time and disappear quickly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts