Is it worth getting D* now or should I wait?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andygradel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I'm going back and forth on whether or not to sign up. I currently have Comcast and would love to make the move to D*, but am not sure if I should wait until they're ready to roll out the new dish and media center. :confused:

I've got an HD setup and there's no way in hell my wife would let me pluck down $399 for an HD DVR, so I almost think it's best to stay put and see what happens. Plus, from what I've read, it seems like the best deals are always for new customers as opposed to existing ones?

andygradel said:
I'm going back and forth on whether or not to sign up. I currently have Comcast and would love to make the move to D*, but am not sure if I should wait until they're ready to roll out the new dish and media center. :confused:

I've got an HD setup and there's no way in hell my wife would let me pluck down $399 for an HD DVR, so I almost think it's best to stay put and see what happens. Plus, from what I've read, it seems like the best deals are always for new customers as opposed to existing ones?

Wait! Sit tight for the next 6 months. This lease crap is going to back fire on them and I have a feeling that Dtv will make changes to it. As bad as I want to upgrade to HD DTV, I'm not about to give them $500 to "lease" the equipment. As a matter of fact, I called them to disconnect the service.

The lack of a guarantee/customer satisfaction policy is silly. In my case I need a DVR but my locals are available OTA and on MPEG4. Their HD DVR does not record MPEG4 so I have to get them OTA. DTV's CST told me they would not guarantee that I would be able to receive my locals OTA.Now who in their right mind is going to shell out $500 with no guarantee of getting your locals in HD.

jr

vlj9r said:
.Now who in their right mind is going to shell out $500 with no guarantee of getting your locals in HD.
What CSR in his/her right mind is going to give you a guarantee that you are going to get your OTA HD locals with an accessory that D* does not sell or support? You should be seeking that guarantee from the person who sells and/or installs your OTA antenna... if that's you, then oh well...

Newshawk said:
What CSR in his/her right mind is going to give you a guarantee that you are going to get your OTA HD locals with an accessory that D* does not sell or support? You should be seeking that guarantee from the person who sells and/or installs your OTA antenna... if that's you, then oh well...

I'm sorry but in my opinion DTV should be able to give the customer a 30 day trial. That would put pressure on the installer to try his very best to get the OTA digital channels. Don't you thing a "good" installer would know as soon as they get to your home as to wether or not you are in range of your local towers and what type of antenna to use based on his/her experiences in the area? Especially in the flat Florida. That way you don't loose any of your locals since DTV only offers the major 3 in HD.

vlj9r said:
I'm sorry but in my opinion DTV should be able to give the customer a 30 day trial. That would put pressure on the installer to try his very best to get the OTA digital channels. Don't you thing a "good" installer would know as soon as they get to your home as to wether or not you are in range of your local towers and what type of antenna to use based on his/her experiences in the area? Especially in the flat Florida. That way you don't loose any of your locals since DTV only offers the major 3 in HD.

That answer is easy, Most of you don't know how to take NO for an answer. No It won't work everywhere all the time for everyone.

vlj9r said:

You'd probably be better off getting a real antenna installed over anything that D* or E* will provide. You spent a lot of money on your equipment, why scrimp on the antenna? You get what you pay for, and nobody is gonna put a lot of effort into a $49.99 (or worse--FREE) OTA antenna. Every OTA I ever saw with Voom was co-located with the dish.

vlj9r said:
Don't you thing a "good" installer would know as soon as they get to your home as to wether or not you are in range of your local towers and what type of antenna to use based on his/her experiences in the area?

A Quality Tech, will charge you $125 to do a Quality inspection of what signals are available, from your location. It takes a Quality Meter, to determine what the signal strength is and a Qualified Tech, to know if you are going to get a good picture from the Antenna that he/she will recommend.

How can you expect someone to just guess when they get to the location??? This is not a guessing game, and requires a trained Technician, with Quality Meters, to determine what signal(s) are available...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts