Is Joey really necessary?

ltownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Coral Springs, FL
I have two hoppers and three joeys - which cost alot monthly. I'm wondering if I could get away with returning two of the joeys as I don't really use them, but would like to have tv reception in those rooms when we do use them.

Can I send back the joeys and just have the tvs connected to dish via cable directly to wall outlet? I understand that I will not be able to view any dvr programming in those rooms, but don't need to. A $14 a month savings would be great!

Won't that also damage the TV?

Anyway, if you want a picture in every room without Joeys, there are ways, but most will mirror what's on your main TV and can be expensive.

Here are a few options:
- RF modulator: Very low quality SD picture in every room mirroring main TV ($10)
- Wireless or wired HDMI: HD picture in every room mirroring main TV ($200 possibly per TV)
- PC: Run Sling client on a PC connected to directly to each TV ($500 per PC)

Have you thought of OTA only on those other TV's? A cheap set of rabbit ears may suffice and will generally give you about 30 channels.

Last edited:
the main point is that you can mirror what is output from your Hopper using methods explained above, but you would lose the independant experience the Joey provides and would have to accept that 1 person at the Hopper and another at the mirror feed can not view tv at the same time without interfering with each other. Perhaps you could mirror from the one Joey.

You could also move the joey from room to room if you didn't need simultaneous usage. Not a great solution if you have guests staying in those rooms, however.

I had two hoppers and four Joey's ,
I disconnected one of my Joey's and put in a splitter to handle two rooms with one Joey. It works perfectly fine.

I had two hoppers and four Joey's ,
I disconnected one of my Joey's and put in a splitter to handle two rooms with one Joey. It works perfectly fine.

Not a very good explanation here. Did you use a modulator out of the Joey to run it to another room or did you use an HDMI splitter?

Once in a while, I plug my laptop into the TV in the office with a DVI to HDMI connector and use Dish Anywhere to watch live or recorded TV from the living room Hopper. Maybe that would work for you.

You may also need to pay an early termination fee on any Joey you return before its 2 year contract period has elapsed.

When I upgraded to Hopper with Sling and extended my contract for 2 years from date of activation, did that also extend my contract on my Joey?

You may also need to pay an early termination fee on any Joey you return before its 2 year contract period has elapsed.

When I upgraded to Hopper with Sling and extended my contract for 2 years from date of activation, did that also extend my contract on my Joey?
The contract is for a minimum level of service not hardware.

You could also buy your own Joey instead of leasing and turn them off when not using that outlet saving the $7.

If I buy my own Joey (this would be Joey #2 on a 1 leased Hopper and 1 leased Joey system), is there any fee to turn Joey #2 off and on? When I call to have it turned on, does it happen immediately? Like, "hey, there's a game on that I want to watch on Joey #2, I'll call Dish and have it turned on to watch the game". Then, call them after the game is over (or the next day) and tell them to turn it off. Basically, 23 cents per day!

No there is no fee to turn it off or on. And yes it happens within a couple minutes, usually instant.

I also should have asked: If I lease the second Joey, I was told the upgrade would require a new 24 month commitment. Does this mean I am not allowed to turn off the second Joey or just that I must stay with Dish for 24 months? Can a leased Joey be turned off and on for no charge like the purchased Joey?

I also should have asked: If I lease the second Joey, I was told the upgrade would require a new 24 month commitment. Does this mean I am not allowed to turn off the second Joey or just that I must stay with Dish for 24 months? Can a leased Joey be turned off and on for no charge like the purchased Joey?

If you do an upgrade through Dish then you are required to renew a 24 month commitment with Dish. If the receiver you have is purchased it does not matter if you are under contract or not, you can deactivate it when you want. If you were to deactivate a leased Joey you would be required to return it to Dish.

When you "turn off" leased equipment, you're expected to return it. This hasn't changed since the leasing model was put in place.

An owned Joey can be turned off and on because it is yours to keep.

If you want to have the option, you must buy.

If you don't want to extend your commitment, you must buy.

As a rule, if you increase the number of leased devices or upgrade any leased devices on your account, the commitment will be extended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts