Is my amp's power source dead?

TomCat4680

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Mt. Morris, Michigan
I have a Winegard HDP769 preamp with a PS 1503 power supply. The light on the power supply doesn't come on any more and some of my channels stopped coming in or come in worse. The AC adapter is still hot though. Is the power source dead? I also noticed its model has been discontinued. I just bought it last year. Whats up with that?

The HDP-269 isn't discontinued:

Solid Signal
Warren Electronics
Radio Shack
Summit Source

And that's just the first page of hits. Solid Signal and Summit Source also sell the wall wart and power injector together as a separate item. Winegard offers troubleshooting tips for the PS-1503 here.

Solid Signal says the PS 1503 is discontinued. :confused:

Winegard PS1503 Power Injector / Inserter for Pre-amp 15 Volt (PS-1503) - Winegard - PS-1503 -

I emailed Solid Signal and Winegard about it. When I searched for it on there though it also lists the PS 1403 which is a different voltage (18 instead of 15). Will this make a difference?

I tried all the tips it said, even changed the cable between transformer and AC adapter; and hooked an indoor antenna to it and the light still doesn't come on. :confused:

I removed the PS 1503 and hooked the antenna cable straight to the TV and I can still get nearby locals great and one (almost 2) of the distant ones so its not the antenna or its wire.

Last edited:
Have you tried a volt meter about $10-15 if you don't have one. Yes the light is an indicator but it also could be burned out or circuit damaged.

Yes the light is an indicator but it also could be burned out or circuit damaged.
Testing is final, but the incidence of LEDs burning out is pretty darn slim.

In the grand scheme, Winegard has somewhat of a reputation for walking away from products.

Yeah, they're not my first choice, but I don't flat out refuse to buy their products.

In case anyone was wondering:
yes, my old power source was dead
yes, the PS 1403 is its replacement and I now have one.
I'm getting half of the distant stations again. I guess I still need a high gain antenna or 2 though.

cool. Glad it was something simple :)

You know there is another way for you to get those distant stations....Its already been posted ;)

i am using a UHF winegard 9095P here. It really gets the uhf station in the hilly mountain terrain of WV. DTV is a real challenge here in places.

For VHF i am using a normal vu-160 radio shack UHF VHF FM antenna with a vhf bandpass filter to block the UHF from it. I could have cut the uhf part off and did it that way but i didn't want to butcher the antenna. The vu 160's uhf was inadequate for here even with a preamp.

get the highest gain antenna you can get imo. you may need a rotor since the stations may be spaced too far apart to see them all with a high gain antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)