Is my new Pansat 3500s defective?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beeb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
I received my new Pansat 3500s from ftadirect yesterday. This was my first standalone FTA receiver, but I have had long experience with FTA through DVB PCI cards.
In short, I think this unit is defective. It cannot in any way drive the SG2100 motor I have. The signal light on the motor flashes red or is completely off. Only if I disconnect the LNB, leaving just the recever wire into the motor, I ama ble to make one step ata time using the button on the motor. It cannot move more than one, and after each step, red light flashes rapidly. If I connect the LNB, it cannot produce even one step.
I wouldn't have been writing this if I had any doubts in equipment outside the receiver. The Twinhan 1020a drives the motor without a glitch, both when connected after the Pansat 3500s - from the the IF out on the back, or by itself.

Is it possible that there is a setting somewhere in the receiver menu that sets the power somehow? I personally highly doubt that, because there is some power sent to the motor, but not enough. And the menus are pretty straightforward.

I am using the receiver as it came, didn't attempt to do any firmware upgrades. I doubt that a sw upgrade would solve a power supply issue.

My problem is complicated even further by the fact that I am in Canada and shipping back and forth is costly (I'm also expected to be hit by customs fees), so I'm willing to try everything possible before contacting ftadirect for return.

For the sake of troubleshooting I have removed the diseqc switch that I use and the receiver is connected directly to the motor.

You mention that you have a PC card too so I assume you may have a switch. I would take that "out of the loop" and run just the Pansat. If you are not using a switch my advice would be similar-simplfy everything and use one satellite that you are getting strong signal on to test with. Also check your cables and connections-try different cables if you have any.

I removed the switch prior to all tests. Tried a different, direct run cable - same thing.

Also, I just noticed, that once the Pansat is tuned in,it only has signal for a few minutes, and then says "No signal". I have to trn it off and leave it for 10-15 minutes before it shows signal again.

ftadirect is in Canada so there shouldnt be any issues with customs :)

something isnt right. Is there a short in the cable somewhere? I would power off the unit (using the switch), check al connections, and then power back on the switch.

I have a 3500 and it worked fine out of the box.

I did that a few times. No change in behaviour. The Twinhan card, connected to the IF out of the Pansat, works flawlessly.
Before I contact ftadirect for exchange, I just want to know for sure that the Pansat 3500s is suposed to drive a well working SG2100 positioner without problems. I sincerely hope that it's not an "omitted" feature of the model. :)

When I first set my motor up with 2500A I had the same problem. I did not put the F-connectors on correctly for quad shield cable. Try putting new connectors on the cable and checking continuity from dish to reciever on shield and center copper wire.

There is no problem with the wires. I checked my existing cables, which work perfectly for the Twinhan DVB card. I also ran a brand new purchased whole piece of sat cable with pre-installed connectors. In both cases the DVB card works flawlessly, and the Pansat cannot move the positioner at all and shows "No signal" after a few minutes work.

If the motor works on another receiver/card, and will not work on the 3500, the 3500 is most likely defective. Assuming you've checked your setup on the 3500 and have the positioner enabled in antenna setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts