Is my old receiver a doorstop?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
its an old computer that I have as a backup because it has a RS232 port which I need for something for use in the free to air area. My good computer doesnt have one ;)

We have some test equipment that uses RS-232. There are USB converters to provide "RS-232" ports. They don't work very well..... :(

I believe the first computer my parents had (91' Macintosh) had a 40MB hard drive. May be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

OK, now you've done it. What's the smallest (in capacity) hard disk drive you have actually personally used? I'll start by dating myself. :( It was a DEC RK05 removable disk which, according to Wikipedia, had a 2.5MB capacity. :eek: I thought it was 5MB, but that was a few years ago...

Hard drive? Hard drives? My Vic-20 had 5 Kb of RAM and 16 Kb of ROM, and we LIKED it, mister. :)

OK, now you've done it. What's the smallest (in capacity) hard disk drive you have actually personally used? I'll start by dating myself. :( It was a DEC RK05 removable disk which, according to Wikipedia, had a 2.5MB capacity. :eek: I thought it was 5MB, but that was a few years ago...
First thing I had with a HDD, was when I bought a PC my Jr. year of college. I paid extra for the upgraded harddrive (from 20 GB to 40 GB). By going up to 40, I had to partian it (ah, the good old days of DOS 3.3).

Prior to that I had a C-64 and prior to that a VIC-20, no HDD on those. Even had a 300 baud modem for the C-64 in order to access local BBS's and the internet server at school.

Was extremly happy when I bought the PC (was a Tandy 1000) as it had a 1200 baud modem. :eek:

First thing I had with a HDD, was when I bought a PC my Jr. year of college. I paid extra for the upgraded harddrive (from 20 GB to 40 GB). By going up to 40, I had to partian it (ah, the good old days of DOS 3.3).

Prior to that I had a C-64 and prior to that a VIC-20, no HDD on those. Even had a 300 baud modem for the C-64 in order to access local BBS's and the internet server at school.

Was extremly happy when I bought the PC (was a Tandy 1000) as it had a 1200 baud modem. :eek:

You mean MB, lol. We're so used to talking about HDDs in gigabytes that we almost can't even make ourselves say megabytes anymore. It'll just be a matter of time before the terabyte takes over & gigabyte becomes hard to say. :)

My first computer didn't have a hard drive. It didn't even have a floppy drive. Anyone remember saving & loading to/from cassette tape? I did eventually break down and spend the $$$ for an external 5-1/4" floppy for my Tandy Color Computer (but more devices would follow).

By the time my need tinker was done, I had put it in an AT tower case. I installed two 5-1/4" floppies & one 3.5" floppy (of course, the 720k type). I even built in the multi-pak interface and added speech, RS232, ORC90CC music pak, 28.8 modem, and my crowning acheivement... an 65MG hard drive. Of course I had to make a lot of parts myself. I even bought an AT keyboard adapter. Also, I did upgrade the memory to 512k (big deal at the time).

Tinkering/building was always more fun that actually using (for me).

Cheers

well since folks decided to take a thread off topic with nothing to do about the original post (and the answer has been given to the actual topic at hand) I'm closing this thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts