Is my reciever bad?

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Ok with my 721 ever since the Dish 1000 install I've had problems. The first being sat. 1 input said the switchs were bad and would only let me watch tv on tuner 2. Well a reboot fixxed this. Then today after we finally got my locals working I lost all the channels on 119 although I got signal still. I called Dish and they told me to do a reboot. After 5 minutes he told me my reciever was bad because it should never take more than 5 minutes max to do the hard reboot. This was the reboot by holding the front button for 5 seconds or however long. Mine has always taken about 20 minutes to get all the data it would just stay on the downloading data screen until then. I explained this to him and explained that my reciever has always worked great up until now. He told me it wasn't an install problem it was a problem with my 721 that I needed to replace it. Well It's all working great now again after waiting 20 minutes for a reboot. Do you guys think my reciever really is bad? Is more than 5 min really not normal? How long does it usually take for you guy's to reboot?

try a hard reset by unplugging the reciever for 2-3 minutes. plug reciever back in then wait for the searching for signal screen to come up. when it does press menu 6-1-1 and go up to check switch and hit test make sure you are getting all the sats. if so press cancel till you get serching for signal back agian and then let it run its tests. this may take a while. it sounds to me you do not have a good line of site to the satellites or the was not peaked correctly

There were an issue with some of the earlier DPP twin lnbf's. If you are getting problems on one tuner with just one satellite and no problems with the other tuner then that is a sign of a bad DPP twin lnbf. Do you still have the old dish that you was using? If so you could try hooking it back up and see if it works with that. What other receivers do you have installed?

You may want to try swapping the wires on the back of the receiver where it says satellite in 1 and satellite in 2 and do a check switch and see if the problem follows the wire or the tuner. Did they use something called a seperator where one wire goes into a device that looks like a splitter then the two short wires goes to the satellite in 1 & 2 ports on the back of the receiver? Seeing how this happened shortly after your Dish1000 installation it would seem that the DPP lnbf is bad. Me and somebody else went through the exact same thing. In both cases it done something to the receiver to cause it not to work right anymore. If they just replace the receiver then it might cause the next receiver to go bad as well. The best thing to do is to have them replace both the receiver and the DPP lnbf in this case. If they will not do both then have them replace the DPP lnbf FIRST then have them replace the 721 if the problem is not cured.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)